Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: US expat seeks advice for phone plan - keep a USA #, receive bank text codes abroad.

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by succeedextend View Post
    Thanks for all the input, guys.

I'm going to try Google Voice for my main #, as several here and elsewhere have suggested, despite my hatred of Google's invasiveness.

Can you please help me understand something about it:

I linked it to my MagicJack # when I first set it up, so whenever I test call my GV # it rings in on the MJ phone app because it forwards to the MJ #.

Can I use my computer only, and have it make a call from my computer and ring in on its own app on my computer, as Skype does on the Skype app, without forwarding to an external phone #?

I'm on the computer on voice.google.com, unchecked forwarding to the MJ #, but it doesn't matter - if I "dial" a # on the computer via the voice.google.com page, it states it will connect to my MJ # on my phone and then it connects me with the # I've called via the MJ app.

Is there anyway not to do this and as I've stated have it call and receive using the web app only with no phone involved?

Likewise, can I use the Android app and have it call and receive on the "Voice" app only - as Magic Jack does on the Magic Jack app - without being forwarded to another phone #?

Thank you.
    In settings under calls, make sure you've turned off "Always use my phone to place calls". Under my devices, you can try turning off the device that shows the MJ #. But if that doesn't work...

Open the menu in the upper left corner of the GV webpage. At the bottom of that menu you'll see "Legacy Google Voice". Click that, and on the page that opens, open settings (gear icon top right). Under "phones" you can uncheck your MJ # so it won't forward calls to it.

If it still doesn't allow you to make calls from the webpage, you can also make and receive calls in Gmail. For this you may need to go into Gmail settings, Chat - turn on chat, and (helpful but not required) under Advanced, turn on right-side chat. You should see a phone icon at the bottom, which shows the phone tab in the chat box, and a link saying "Make a call".

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the input, guys.

I'm going to try Google Voice for my main #, as several here and elsewhere have suggested, despite my hatred of Google's invasiveness.

Can you please help me understand something about it:

I linked it to my MagicJack # when I first set it up, so whenever I test call my GV # it rings in on the MJ phone app because it forwards to the MJ #.

Can I use my computer only, and have it make a call from my computer and ring in on its own app on my computer, as Skype does on the Skype app, without forwarding to an external phone #?

I'm on the computer on voice.google.com, unchecked forwarding to the MJ #, but it doesn't matter - if I "dial" a # on the computer via the voice.google.com page, it states it will connect to my MJ # on my phone and then it connects me with the # I've called via the MJ app.

Is there anyway not to do this and as I've stated have it call and receive using the web app only with no phone involved?

Likewise, can I use the Android app and have it call and receive on the "Voice" app only - as Magic Jack does on the Magic Jack app - without being forwarded to another phone #?

Thank you.
    Take a look at Make calls over the internet on Google Voice https://support.google.com/voice/ans...DDesktop&hl=en and let us know if that helps.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses.

I'm giving up on using the computer, at least for now.

Many are having the same problem with the computer - e.g. these threads -

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/859216?hl=en ("Why can't Google Voice access my microphone? All permissions are on").

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/895002?hl=en ("How do I give Google Voice permission to use the microphone on my PC? Can't record a greeting.").

One response stated that one cannot have WebRTC disabled and cannot block Google cookies. I do both of those things on my browser (Not all of its cookies, but the ones my privacy apps deem too invasive are blocked).

Also that one has to use the Chrome browser to give Google microphone permission (not explained on the site) and I don't use Chrome nor have it on the computer.
    [Although the google support Boz1 linked to states that Chrome and Firefox will work].

If I change all of those things, perhaps it will ring on the computer. Although some in these threads tried all and it still didn't work.

It looks like I've worked out having the Google app ring on my phone rather than the linked phone # ringing.

I just wanted to know that is possible, in case the MJ # on my phone it is linked to goes down (as happened recently for about 14 days - hence my wanting to change my primary phone # to GV).
    Wanted to know that is possible before linking all of my financial institutions to GV.

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses.

I'm giving up on using the computer, at least for now.

Many are having the same problem with the computer - e.g. these threads -

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/859216?hl=en ("Why can't Google Voice access my microphone? All permissions are on").

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/895002?hl=en ("How do I give Google Voice permission to use the microphone on my PC? Can't record a greeting.").

One response stated that one cannot have WebRTC disabled and cannot block Google cookies. I do both of those things on my browser (Not all of its cookies, but the ones my privacy apps deem too invasive are blocked).

Also that one has to use the Chrome browser to give Google microphone permission (not explained on the site) and I don't use Chrome nor have it on the computer.
    [Although the google support Boz1 linked to states that Chrome and Firefox will work].

If I change all of those things, perhaps it will ring on the computer. Although some in these threads tried all and it still didn't work.

It looks like I've worked out having the Google app ring on my phone rather than the linked phone # ringing.

I just wanted to know that is possible, in case the MJ # on my phone it is linked to goes down (as happened recently for about 14 days - hence my wanting to change my primary phone # to GV).
    Wanted to know that is possible before linking all of my financial institutions to GV.
    You can make GV calls from the browser in both Firefox and Chromium if you want to avoid Chrome. Yes, you will likely have to allow Google cookies, but you could install either for the sole purpose of using GV and nothing else, making any tracking cookies rather inert.

For another backup number, consider getting Talkatone, which comes with a free US # and free incoming calls and texts. Set it up as one of the numbers GV forwards to. IMO, no reason to keep paying for your MagicJack service.

As for GV texts, you can reply to those directly from email if you have GV setup to send texts to your email. The recipient will see replies as coming from your GV #.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4