Thread: I Am Considering Switching From 4 Lines On Total Wireless To 4 Lines On An AT&T MVNO

Feedback Score

I Am Considering Switching From 4 Lines On Total Wireless To 4 Lines On An AT&T MVNO

Currently, my family and I have 4 lines on Total Wireless (which is a Verizon MVNO). I have been giving some thought to switching the 4 lines to an AT&T MVNO. For those familiar with the various prepaid providers these days, is Cricket Wireless one of the better choices for an AT&T MVNO with a 4 line family plan.

When comparing Total Wireless to Cricket, both look like they have unlimited talk and text, but I think data is the big difference. Total Wireless is now up to 100 GB of data and I don't think it is throttled. Do all AT&T MVNOs, including Cricket Wireless, throttling their data speeds?

What other factors should I consider before making the switch? Does Cricket offer any options when travelling outside of the United States? What about wifi calling/texting with Cricket Wireless?

We already have smartphones that should work well with Cricket Wireless.

Feedback Score
    TW doesn't throttle speed, has VoLTE (HD voice). 100GB is unbeatable IMO - I am on the same family plan, last month we used 30GB.
    I had used phone as hotspot on TW sporadically and it works.

Cricket throttle at 8Mbps in general, but on the core plans (like 4 lines for $100) is only 3 Mbps. Video streaming at 1.5 Mbps.
    Hotspot is extra money, hard blocked otherwise.
    Also, HD voice works only on some phones: https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...le-phones.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    TW doesn't throttle speed, has VoLTE (HD voice). 100GB is unbeatable IMO - I am on the same family plan, last month we used 30GB.
    The 100GB cap is shared by all the lines right? So theoretically a 25GB per line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Of course shared. Extra 5GB can be added with $10 or "points" if needed.
    Children with Instagram accounts use more, especially when at school with that WiFi blocking Instagram
    I am also guilty - have raised my Sirius online streaming setting to "max quality" since the increase in data allowance. Wife's car has the Satellite Radio...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    I had used phone as hotspot on TW sporadically and it works.

Cricket throttle at 8Mbps in general, but on the core plans (like 4 lines for $100) is only 3 Mbps. Video streaming at 1.5 Mbps.
    Hotspot is extra money, hard blocked otherwise.
    Also, HD voice works only on some phones: https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...le-phones.html
    How are you tethering on TW? I have one of their iPhone SE's and can't tether, it's disabled it looks like via firmware.

Feedback Score
    Total Wireless does limit Netflix (fast.com) to 5 mbps.

I have tethered with Total Wireless. It works with most unlocked Android phones and have used it with some Verizon phones (Moto Droid Turbo).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
    How are you tethering on TW? I have one of their iPhone SE's and can't tether, it's disabled it looks like via firmware.
    Android phones bought outside of TW work. All iPhones are disabled with TW SIM cards.

Feedback Score
    Could you give us the reasons why you're considering switching from Total Wireless? That may help us help you in figuring out a better plan for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wwglen View Post
    Total Wireless does limit Netflix (fast.com) to 5 mbps.
    And? Who watches Netflix via cell data? Anyway, the 5Mbps is good for 1080p:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/338983/how...s-netflix-use/
    It would burn 2GB/hour, so the whole 100GB plan for 4 lines would be done in just 50 hours of streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by wwglen View Post
    I have tethered with Total Wireless. It works with most unlocked Android phones and have used it with some Verizon phones (Moto Droid Turbo).
    Yeah, only iPhones are evil... I was able to tether with Samsung S7 Edge (Verizon), and unlocked S9, S10, moto G4Plus, moto X Pure, moto G7...

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I had four lines in Cricket for years - had the 4/$100 plan. Just switched to ATT prepaid with the Walmart deal that gives you 25 GB per line. Unthrottled, plus hotspot which was $10/mo extra with Cricket.

So far it’s been great - better performance for marginally higher price.

Feedback Score

I Am Considering Switching From 4 Lines On Total Wireless To 4 Lines On An AT&T MVNO

Quote Originally Posted by glowblue View Post
    I had four lines in Cricket for years - had the 4/$100 plan. Just switched to ATT prepaid with the Walmart deal that gives you 25 GB per line. Unthrottled, plus hotspot which was $10/mo extra with Cricket.

So far it’s been great - better performance for marginally higher price.
    Thank you for that tip. I will know to go to WalMart for that, when I am ready to switch.