Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: What advantage does T-Mobile's new 600MHz network compared to AT&T?

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    That's funny. Come to Columbus, OH and it's a complete opposite story. my AT&T line I can just go inside a building and loose service entirely, whereas T-Mobile is 80-100Mbps in the same spot.

It's just all about location, location, location. In NY/NJ T-Mobile has a TON of customers, so of course they're gonna have data capacity issues faster, T-Mobile courts the data whores and has things like Metro running on it's network with no speed limitations.

I fly around the country for work and have Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile SIM cards. I find AT&T and T-Mobile to be about the same in most cities (sometimes AT&T is faster, sometimes T-Mobile is faster), and Verizon has the best "overall" coverage - LTE surely isnt that fast on Verizon but they seem to have a lot more of it coverage wise.

And that'd be silly to say T-Mobile "didnt" upgrade, they did but also court the people who regularly use 50+GB/mo, so they will have higher data users, and in that "low income" area i'm wiling to bet there's a lot more people using that phone as their only form of internet for streaming - so the LTE speeds you quote make sense.. most in a low income area are not going to pay AT&T $100 for a decent plan and the congestion shows accordingly.

I mean hell, in my city if I go to the low income areas usually Sprint and T-Mobile barely have any throughput but VZ and AT&T are fine - it's due to most in the area having Boost/Metro and using it as their ONLY connection.
    Oh also funny thing is I have both AT&t and T-Mobile on one phone and both SIM cards active at the same time. When I go to South Jersey T-Mobile is a joke. AT&t does fare a lot better.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dandn1321 View Post
    Oh also funny thing is I have both AT&t and T-Mobile on one phone and both SIM cards active at the same time. When I go to South Jersey T-Mobile is a joke. AT&t does fare a lot better.

Once again.. Location, location, location

But thanks for the input on your location

I personally avoid going to Jersey, but last time I was in Newark (actually today), my T-Mobile phone was faster than my AT&T phone (AT&T has not bothered to do any LTE-A upgrades around that airport or the immediate area)

Location, Location, Location the XS Max is on AT&T, and the SE is on T-Mobile.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Once again.. Location, location, location

But thanks for the input on your location
    Yes I know and lol I live in Central Jersey where every carrier except sprint.

Feedback Score
    Location location like everyone says! Here in Los Angeles California I tried all 3 At&t, T-mobile, (currently have verizon on my sister's plan ) I am getting out her plan and getting my own line for sure I'm getting At&t . Because it works just as good as verizon and has good speeds . And working reliable coverage literally everywhere poor, rich income areas don't matter it has working service just like verizon does . TMobile struggles in low income areas like East LA, Boyle heights, Compton, South Central etc.... So At&t here i come next month !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, 3 & 3a; Moto X4, 6 & 7; ZTE R2; iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by berry05 View Post
    I heard the new 600 mhz helps tmobile beat att lte by 1% coverage wise.
    Color me dubious. T-Mobile is no where near either AT&T or Verizon in terms of geographical coverage but in the end, you go with whatever company provides the best service for where you live and work.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile's coverage is the exact same that it was 15 years ago in Mobile, AL . It's horrible and the fastest speeds I have seen with my test drive is 5megs . No 600mhz in this market or anywhere close to me

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    T-Mobile's coverage is the exact same that it was 15 years ago in Mobile, AL . It's horrible and the fastest speeds I have seen with my test drive is 5megs . No 600mhz in this market or anywhere close to me
    Not surprising; 600mhz is being used by tv stations (channels 38-51), and being cleared out region by region over 10 phases through the middle of 2020. The channels above 38 get moved below 38 and everyone gets to run a channel scan on their tvs and dvrs. No 600 here in eastern iowa either, quad cities has 2 channels still to move.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using HoFo mobile app

A virtually impossible but finitely improbable location
    Device(s)
    Note 8
    Feedback Score
    Sprint t mobile merger will give t mobile even more Urban micro spots, but their problem is suburban and rural USA. Att and Verizon have mini towers in every valley and t mobile expects 600 towers to solve their problem, it won't. They need fix the problem of going around hills or under overpasses or through hilly neighborhoods... They are hyping the 600 because that's their focus, but that's not going to solve their problem of dead spots literally everywhere on the ground. Verizon and att spent the money to solve this long ago. Lucky for t mobile America is more and more Urban, meaning they have a growing Urban customer base that doesn't know this problem exists.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Boulevard View Post
    Sprint t mobile merger will give t mobile even more Urban micro spots, but their problem is suburban and rural USA. Att and Verizon have mini towers in every valley and t mobile expects 600 towers to solve their problem, it won't. They need fix the problem of going around hills or under overpasses or through hilly neighborhoods... They are hyping the 600 because that's their focus, but that's not going to solve their problem of dead spots literally everywhere on the ground. Verizon and att spent the money to solve this long ago. Lucky for t mobile America is more and more Urban, meaning they have a growing Urban customer base that doesn't know this problem exists.
    And both att and Verizon have the capex for a huge network build out. T-Mobile doesn't have the money.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    It's just all about location, location, location. In NY/NJ T-Mobile has a TON of customers, so of course they're gonna have data capacity issues faster, T-Mobile courts the data whores and has things like Metro running on it's network with no speed limitations.
    It definitely depends on the area. In CT, T-Mobile has more towers than anyone else in the cities and inner 'burbs, and their service is great, but as soon as you go to the outer 'burbs and exurbs, their network is pretty thin compared to AT&T, and often is really slow as a result of B12 being clogged. There are even a few big dead spots where they just didn't put a tower. I don't know if their B71 is better capacity wise, as my Mint phone doesn't have B71. AT&T pretty much works just about everywhere here. But then in NYC, Verizon is king. So it really depends.

In terms of the band, due to the UL location, B71 has a negligible advantage over B12/13/14, so that shouldn't really affect anything. It should help a lot with capacity when doubling or tripling T-Mobile's lowband capacity, however.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    It definitely depends on the area. In CT, T-Mobile has more towers than anyone else in the cities and inner 'burbs, and their service is great, but as soon as you go to the outer 'burbs and exurbs, their network is pretty thin compared to AT&T, and often is really slow as a result of B12 being clogged. There are even a few big dead spots where they just didn't put a tower. I don't know if their B71 is better capacity wise, as my Mint phone doesn't have B71. AT&T pretty much works just about everywhere here. But then in NYC, Verizon is king. So it really depends.

In terms of the band, due to the UL location, B71 has a negligible advantage over B12/13/14, so that shouldn't really affect anything. It should help a lot with capacity when doubling or tripling T-Mobile's lowband capacity, however.
    T-Mobile is not great for where I live. I live in the burbs. Only 45 minutes from New York City and their capacity is negligible in terms of their overall spectrum holdings. They're a joke The only running 5 MHz of band 71 alongside band 12. They're network is negligible here.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dandn1321 View Post
    T-Mobile is not great for where I live. I live in the burbs. Only 45 minutes from New York City and their capacity is negligible in terms of their overall spectrum holdings. They're a joke The only running 5 MHz of band 71 alongside band 12. They're network is negligible here.
    Yeah, if you're in a more sprawled out area where they can't effectively use mid-band, then their network isn't so hot.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Yeah, if you're in a more sprawled out area where they can't effectively use mid-band, then their network isn't so hot.
    The funny thing is for the most part Sprint does better than T-Mobile in my area. T-Mobile is a joke. They won't even have the money needed to roll out Nationwide then I'm talking besides deploying all the spectrum they own I'm talking actual infrastructure small cells pico cells and new cell sites.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Lte wise not 3g

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by berry05 View Post
    Lte wise not 3g
    3G services being turned down a little bit in terms of capacity here. I use project Fi so I have both Sprint and T-Mobile both in one phone.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast