Thread: Straight cell towers

Feedback Score

Straight cell towers

Have straight talk purchase iPhone se from Walmart I am on the Verizon towers have no service or 1 bar at home contacted straight talk asking them if could change towers they won’t spoke to a supervisor she stated my phone won’t work on an att tower even it was unlocked. Which I think she’s wrong my model is A1662 They won’t unlock phone she cause only had phone for 9 months will this phone work with cricket (att towers) how to get it unlocked
    Thanks

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S, OG Pixel XL, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon), T-Mobile, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Straight cell towers

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekster View Post
    Have straight talk purchase iPhone se from Walmart I am on the Verizon towers have no service or 1 bar at home contacted straight talk asking them if could change towers they won’t spoke to a supervisor she stated my phone won’t work on an att tower even it was unlocked. Which I think she’s wrong my model is A1662 They won’t unlock phone she cause only had phone for 9 months will this phone work with cricket (att towers) how to get it unlocked
    Thanks
    If unlocking is your goal, it might be cheaper to wait out the three months. Most unlocking places will charge $100 or more to unlock a “Tracfone branded” iPhone. I believe it is due to Tracfone’s unlocking requirements being stricter than most.

From my experience using an iPhone 6S (same generation) “locked” to Straight Talk/Total Wireless, I could switch between the current TF-VZW, TF-ATT, and TF-TMUS SIMs easily. So they are locked to Tracfone brands, but those brands can be on any available backbone.
    You can buy a SIM kit, for a $1 in many locations, and attempt to activate using the AT&T SIM. The phone will boot you to a setup screen if the SIM isn’t compatible. You don’t even have to activate the SIM until after you verify it’ll stick on the phone.

Just note if you go this route, it may reset your unlock clock. 9 months is a good chunk of time to potentially lose towards their unlock process.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I was going to say you could try an AT&T based Tracfone BYOP SIM in the iPhone. I know lots of Tracfone branded phones now days will only work with Tracfone SIMs even if it is for another tower system. I just don't know if the iPhones are that way or not tho. Plus since you might do this and want to unlock it later on, the unlocking policy might not happen because the phone needs to be activate in their system for the right amount of time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    You can buy a SIM kit, for a $1 in many locations, and attempt to activate using the AT&T SIM. The phone will boot you to a setup screen if the SIM isn’t compatible. You don’t even have to activate the SIM until after you verify it’ll stick on the phone.

Just note if you go this route, it may reset your unlock clock. 9 months is a good chunk of time to potentially lose towards their unlock process.
    Yes, risky for the account the way the network has been recently auto-detecting which SIM is located in which phone. Especially on the Verizon network where you have a registered IMEI.

If the phone number is wanting to be kept, it would require a service transfer. that would reset the unlocking clock.

Feedback Score
    Thanks
    Do I need to unlock phone and was told to ask for. Carrier unlock as well
    Thanks