Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Why do the ZTE Mobleys still sell for so much on eBay?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    10
    Feedback Score
    0

    Why do the ZTE Mobleys still sell for so much on eBay?

    I have a ZTE Mobley that I don't need and I'm selling it on eBay. I notice they still go for $150-200 easy with no plan or anything. Just wondering why that is? Do people think they're still going to get the Connected Car plan for $20/mo? Is there anything I should know before I ship my Mobley off? I did a reset on it, anything else I should do?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    526
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    What will you do in the future if they start enfocing that the sim card match a Mobley imei?

    I have 3 but I'm afraid to sell them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    10
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    What will you do in the future if they start enfocing that the sim card match a Mobley imei?

    I have 3 but I'm afraid to sell them.
    I didn't know that was much of a risk. I've been using the card in a ZTE Velocity for 7+ months with no problem. Worse case I'll throw a fit with AT&T customer service saying my Mobley broke and if that doesn't work I'll switch to $40/mo Visible which has better coverage anyway. The Mobley was shutting itself off at times anyway, I can't live with that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    575
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkF1 View Post
    I have a ZTE Mobley that I don't need and I'm selling it on eBay. I notice they still go for $150-200 easy with no plan or anything. Just wondering why that is? Do people think they're still going to get the Connected Car plan for $20/mo? Is there anything I should know before I ship my Mobley off? I did a reset on it, anything else I should do?

    Thanks.
    Because of the fear the other poster mentioned. It has been rumored for awhile that AT&T will start doing IMEI enforcement on its data plans and people always mention the home phone internet devices as proof. At one point you could use those on any plan and use any simcard but they cracked down so now you can only use a specific sim card and only on specific plans. So people are buying backups. I wanted to do the same (I still have my Mobley) but as you said the prices have still been really high so I've held off on buying one. There's a chance they will crackdown in the future. They may not, the terms and conditions have been interpreted different ways and some feel like you're breaking the rules by moving the sim. Others feel like the terms give you the right to move the sim. Only time will tell..

    As for the Mobley the only other thing you need to do is make sure the Mobley is taken off of your account. Normally device IMEis are tied to the account they were purchased for. The buyer will still be able to use it of course by just putting a sim in it but if they ever try to add the device to their account "officially" then they won't be able to and likewise with it being on your account they run a risk of you saying it was lost or stolen in the future. Not saying you would do that of course but it is a problem. Especially on ebay. People sell their phones and then report it stolen a few months later leaving the buyer screwed (since the phone is still technically on the sellers account there's nothing they can do without going through a long process)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    10
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jjennings2510 View Post
    Because of the fear the other poster mentioned. It has been rumored for awhile that AT&T will start doing IMEI enforcement on its data plans and people always mention the home phone internet devices as proof. At one point you could use those on any plan and use any simcard but they cracked down so now you can only use a specific sim card and only on specific plans. So people are buying backups. I wanted to do the same (I still have my Mobley) but as you said the prices have still been really high so I've held off on buying one. There's a chance they will crackdown in the future. They may not, the terms and conditions have been interpreted different ways and some feel like you're breaking the rules by moving the sim. Others feel like the terms give you the right to move the sim. Only time will tell..

    As for the Mobley the only other thing you need to do is make sure the Mobley is taken off of your account. Normally device IMEis are tied to the account they were purchased for. The buyer will still be able to use it of course by just putting a sim in it but if they ever try to add the device to their account "officially" then they won't be able to and likewise with it being on your account they run a risk of you saying it was lost or stolen in the future. Not saying you would do that of course but it is a problem. Especially on ebay. People sell their phones and then report it stolen a few months later leaving the buyer screwed (since the phone is still technically on the sellers account there's nothing they can do without going through a long process)

    Thanks for clearing that up! It honestly seems worth the risk to me, I really dislike the way the Mobley performs anyway and the mandatory 10-hr shutoff. It seems kind of unlikely for AT&T to enact IMEI enforcement for a device which I don't even think they sell anymore. If someone's Mobley breaks they can't really just say they're **** outta luck. Maybe I'll eat my words later though.

    How do I tell if the Mobley is removed from my account? I don't see it in the "MY DEVICES (1) & ADD-ONS" panel in my account, just the Velocity.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    526
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkF1 View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up! It honestly seems worth the risk to me, I really dislike the way the Mobley performs anyway and the mandatory 10-hr shutoff. It seems kind of unlikely for AT&T to enact IMEI enforcement for a device which I don't even think they sell anymore. If someone's Mobley breaks they can't really just say they're **** outta luck. Maybe I'll eat my words later though.

    How do I tell if the Mobley is removed from my account? I don't see it in the "MY DEVICES (1) & ADD-ONS" panel in my account, just the Velocity.
    The other thing is to consider what will happen if you need to contact AT&T and the sim shows as not being in a Mobley device. Would they allow you to get a new sim card if your sim is in a hotspot device. I contacted them once and they asked why it wasn't in a Mobley. I hung up and immediately put the sim card back into the Mobley and then I called them again.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,240
    Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    0

    Why do the ZTE Mobleys still sell for so much on eBay?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkF1 View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up! It honestly seems worth the risk to me, I really dislike the way the Mobley performs anyway and the mandatory 10-hr shutoff. It seems kind of unlikely for AT&T to enact IMEI enforcement for a device which I don't even think they sell anymore. If someone's Mobley breaks they can't really just say they're **** outta luck. Maybe I'll eat my words later though.

    How do I tell if the Mobley is removed from my account? I don't see it in the "MY DEVICES (1) & ADD-ONS" panel in my account, just the Velocity.
    The Mobley device overall just sucked for me. Speeds were a lot less than my iPhone. I then bought a UE hotspot and it sits in my center console and has been for 2 years now. Been through heat and cold and still works like a champ. Being in the center console does give it some protection though since when using a/c and heat, some of that goes inside the center console, especially when a/c is on when the drink coolers turn on. That cool air goes into the center console and cools everything down in there. It’s a good system. Wi-Fi connection enables when I start my car and disables 5 minutes after I walk away from my car as long as the devices that connect to it are not present. You can set it up to where the connection never disables but I don’t want the UE battery to drain. The UE gets 4x the speeds of what the Mobley gave me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    575
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkF1 View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up! It honestly seems worth the risk to me, I really dislike the way the Mobley performs anyway and the mandatory 10-hr shutoff. It seems kind of unlikely for AT&T to enact IMEI enforcement for a device which I don't even think they sell anymore. If someone's Mobley breaks they can't really just say they're **** outta luck. Maybe I'll eat my words later though.

    How do I tell if the Mobley is removed from my account? I don't see it in the "MY DEVICES (1) & ADD-ONS" panel in my account, just the Velocity.
    I'm sorry, just now seeing this reply. You would call AT&T and ask them if they could remove the Mobley from your account. You won't be able to see it from your end since the system will only show you what device the sim card is currently in. I didn't realize this until a few months ago. One of my lines had android but switched to iPhone. The phone service worked but the voicemail and all other features were iffy. I called and they told me that the IMEI on the account was for a different phone (Even though my account showed the iPhone) so they updated the IMEI and provisioned the line for iPhone.

    Nonetheless you can just call and ask them to remove the IMEI from your account. But of course I would only do that if you don't have the connected car anymore and plan on selling the mobley. Otherwise I would just leave the IMEI on the account just to be on the safe side

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-25-2013, 11:01 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-14-2013, 11:06 PM
  3. Why are the E71's going for so much on Ebay?
    By brownnugen in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 10:35 PM
  4. Do the newer phones still "echo" like older ones on Telus
    By surfkitty in forum TELUS/Koodo/Public Mobile
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-06-2006, 11:40 AM
  5. Why is V3c on ebay selling for so much?
    By badboy8813 in forum Feature Phones
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-04-2005, 09:00 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks