Thread: Polycom OBi200 Sale

Feedback Score

Polycom OBi200 Sale

$39.99 at Newegg with Promo Code: EMCTEUT56 until 11:59PM PT on 09/12/2019.

This is as good as the price gets these days.

This is an Analog Telephone Adapter. You plug it in your broadband Internet and an analog telephone (or cordless phone base). Functionally it works in the same way as cable telephone, Ooma, Magic Jack, Vonage, except the service is free with Google Voice. There is no usage cost and no monthly or other recurring costs. IIRC, free calls to/from Canada too.

Google Voice does not handle 911 calls. You can add 911 from Callcentric (and others). Callcentric 911 is $1.50 a month, plus a $5 deposit.

It can also be used with other SIP phone service providers like Callcentric, but those are not free.

I have been using one for years as my home phone. It works great most of the time as long as electric and Internet are up.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    I've got an obi200 coming today. I should have bought one years ago. I prefer in the house to pick up a landline type phone etc in most situations this also gives me a 2nd phone for calls which sometimes in speaking to a carrier they want you to have.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    I've got an obi200 coming today. I should have bought one years ago. I prefer in the house to pick up a landline type phone etc in most situations this also gives me a 2nd phone for calls which sometimes in speaking to a carrier they want you to have.
    Did it arrive? Did you get it set up?

I ported my old AT&T home phone # to Google Voice in 2015 after it went up to around $30/mo.

Then I started using that old home phone #, now on GV, with an Obi200 and my old home phone DECT 6.0 handsets, and that setup has worked flawlessly ever since. Despite their age, I still like talking on my old DECT home phones better than any cell phone, similar to what you said.

I had gotten that Obi200 in 2013 in preparation for this...yeah, I was a little slow pulling the trigger! But it has worked out very well for me at zero cost after the $20 port in fee and the $24.99 I paid for the Obi200.

I had to port the old home phone # to a cellular service first, and I used PPC $10 paygo to do that.

So the whole thing cost $54.99 to do in return for $0 thereafter. I also have that old home # set up in Hangouts, along with my primary GV #, so I can use either of my GV #s from any of my cell phones or tablet using Hangouts. I have no "real" phone #s; just GV #s. Anyway, it was worth it!

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Did it arrive? Did you get it set up?

I ported my old AT&T home phone # to Google Voice in 2015 after it went up to around $30/mo.

Then I started using that old home phone #, now on GV, with an Obi200 and my old home phone DECT 6.0 handsets, and that setup has worked flawlessly ever since. Despite their age, I still like talking on my old DECT home phones better than any cell phone, similar to what you said.

I had gotten that Obi200 in 2013 in preparation for this...yeah, I was a little slow pulling the trigger! But it has worked out very well for me at zero cost after the $20 port in fee and the $24.99 I paid for the Obi200.

I had to port the old home phone # to a cellular service first, and I used PPC $10 paygo to do that.

So the whole thing cost $54.99 to do in return for $0 thereafter. I also have that old home # set up in Hangouts, along with my primary GV #, so I can use either of my GV #s from any of my cell phones or tablet using Hangouts. I have no "real" phone #s; just GV #s. Anyway, it was worth it!
    Came in yesterday. I bought an open box speakerphone (that sells for $200 new unopened box) on ebay for $30 and that came today - setup took 10 minutes. Made a few calls and the sound quality is so good, that's what I hate about cell phones is the lousy sound through the earpiece and speakers.

Very happy.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Yes, the sound quality with GV+Obi200 is really phenomenal!

I'm glad it's working out for you!