Thread: Postpaid to Prepaid ?s

Feedback Score

Postpaid to Prepaid ?s

Hello,

I've researched the differences between Verizon Postpaid and Prepaid, and I have a couple of questions about switching to Prepaid at Walmart that I was hoping someone could answer for me. Thanks in advance.

We currently have a shared Postpaid "New Verizon Plan" with two unlocked iPhones that were purchased from Apple. If we visit Walmart and activate them on two Prepaid Verizon plans and port our numbers to Prepaid three days prior to the end of our current Postpaid billing cycle:

1. Does Verizon permit porting numbers from Postpaid to Prepaid?

2. Will we need to purchase new SIMs at Walmart, and if so at what cost?

3. Will the Postpaid accounts close automatically with the port request?

4. Will we be charged for an additional month of Postpaid service with three days left in the cycle?

Thanks again.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Here's my experience ... yes, Verizon will allow you to port from postpaid to prepaid. Not sure about having to purchase new sims, mine were free from Verizon Prepaid. Your postpaid account will close automatically when the port happens ... nothing else needed on your part. You won't be charged anything additional.

Feedback Score
    Great. Thanks for sharing that.

Feedback Score
    I actually did the port to prepaid over the phone. Used the same sim card.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I did this just about 7 weeks ago. We were able to keep our sim cards and everything. I did it through telesales. Spoke with a great guy named Kevin that knew exactly what to do since the online chat had everything screwed up. Online sent me new sim cards and had it all wrong. I had to call in and he got me fixed up. He said it's technically a transfer not a port so it was easy. He said that once he was done he'd keep me on the line and when the call dropped that was the sign it was changing over. Power off my phone for a few minutes and once I reboot I'd be on prepaid. It all worked perfectly. I had a friend that wanted to do the same so I sent him Kevin's number and he got him switched over last week.

Feedback Score
    purwater, I migrated two lines to Prepaid yesterday with telesales. Thanks for the advice. It worked great. I just kept ignoring their attempts to do it through chat or text, then a very helpful person got on the line. Reduced our bill from $123 to $65.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trebordet View Post
    purwater, I migrated two lines to Prepaid yesterday with telesales. Thanks for the advice. It worked great. I just kept ignoring their attempts to do it through chat or text, then a very helpful person got on the line. Reduced our bill from $123 to $65.
    I'm glad it went smoothly. We're happy our bill was cut by $75 and so far the service is the same.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Verizon gave me a free sim card when I switched from Verizon Postpaid to Verizon Prepaid.