Thread: Flaw with latest Android OS - not specifically Samsung

Feedback Score

Flaw with latest Android OS - not specifically Samsung

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S10+ purchased directly from Samsung. As part of the "Terms of Service", I upgraded to the latest Android OS and notice two behaviors which were not present with the past version of the OS:

1) I have configured the settings to allow "OK Google" detection while the screen is locked. Based on being on the job site, sometimes I'm working with different equipment and rely on hands-free ability. I know with past "OK Google" detection, I could say something such as: "OK Google, call <name> on speakerphone" and it would process the call on speakerphone all through voice commands.

With the new Android OS, specific features of "OK Google" are not allowed and it responds with a verbal message something along the lines of: "I would like to complete this for you but you must first unlock your phone to do so". I cannot unlock my phone as this is not an option at specific times therefore the whole reason why I'm using voice commands.

I'm unsure why this changed and speaking with Samsung, they stated this is an Android specific matter with Google and has nothing to do with Samsung which brings me to my second issue:

2) When trying to backup on my Samsung device using my Google account, it just constantly sits there with the words: "waiting to backup". I left it on for a whole night with no backup whatsoever and the phone displaying the same state/message.

I was originally told sometimes this will happen when a backup has to deal with many photos/videos which it is backing up to Google photos. This makes some sense but even if this was the case, when connected to WiFi, it should be able to complete this relatively quickly and would not be stuck all night. That said, I turned of WiFi and used standard LTE+ and still, the same issue.

I noticed when I went into my security settings, if I turned my password on the device off (no security), the backup would work flawless. I spoke to Samsung Canada (Metrotown) who stated this is a known feature and security must be turned off to allow a backup to ensure the backup is being done by the owner of the phone. Excuse me?? I must have no security on my device while doing a backup? This makes "ZERO" sense as for security, would a better model not be to ensure if doing a backup, you are not prompted for your PIN instead to ensure you are the owner versus being told you must take off all security.

To test this theory, I took another NFC capable phone, turned off my security on the Samsung to allow for backup and lo-and-behold, if you have NFC capabilities enabled on both phones and you tap them, I can copy over all the information. I understand you need to tap the devices and "approve" but to me, this is a huge security flaw which is specific to Samsung. Again, I spoke with them and they said the features and concerns relate to Android and Google, not Samsung.

I'm know this may seem petty but the whole point of "OK Google" is to have full hands free flexibility while the point of device security, is just that... security! Why should I need to unlock my device in order to use a verbal "OK Google" function and furthermore, remove my security password to allow for a Google backup?

I even ensured "allow Google voice with screen lock" was activated but this only works for certain features but not anything pertaining to your contacts etc... Seems like a major security flaw versus a "safety" feature to me!

What's your feedback? TIA!!

Feedback Score

I've given up on Samsung

Quote Originally Posted by hfta View Post
    I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S10+ purchased directly from Samsung. As part of the "Terms of Service", I upgraded to the latest Android OS and notice two behaviors which were not present with the past version of the OS:

1) I have configured the settings to allow "OK Google" detection while the screen is locked. Based on being on the job site, sometimes I'm working with different equipment and rely on hands-free ability. I know with past "OK Google" detection, I could say something such as: "OK Google, call <name> on speakerphone" and it would process the call on speakerphone all through voice commands.

With the new Android OS, specific features of "OK Google" are not allowed and it responds with a verbal message something along the lines of: "I would like to complete this for you but you must first unlock your phone to do so". I cannot unlock my phone as this is not an option at specific times therefore the whole reason why I'm using voice commands.

I'm unsure why this changed and speaking with Samsung, they stated this is an Android specific matter with Google and has nothing to do with Samsung which brings me to my second issue:

2) When trying to backup on my Samsung device using my Google account, it just constantly sits there with the words: "waiting to backup". I left it on for a whole night with no backup whatsoever and the phone displaying the same state/message.

I was originally told sometimes this will happen when a backup has to deal with many photos/videos which it is backing up to Google photos. This makes some sense but even if this was the case, when connected to WiFi, it should be able to complete this relatively quickly and would not be stuck all night. That said, I turned of WiFi and used standard LTE+ and still, the same issue.

I noticed when I went into my security settings, if I turned my password on the device off (no security), the backup would work flawless. I spoke to Samsung Canada (Metrotown) who stated this is a known feature and security must be turned off to allow a backup to ensure the backup is being done by the owner of the phone. Excuse me?? I must have no security on my device while doing a backup? This makes "ZERO" sense as for security, would a better model not be to ensure if doing a backup, you are not prompted for your PIN instead to ensure you are the owner versus being told you must take off all security.

To test this theory, I took another NFC capable phone, turned off my security on the Samsung to allow for backup and lo-and-behold, if you have NFC capabilities enabled on both phones and you tap them, I can copy over all the information. I understand you need to tap the devices and "approve" but to me, this is a huge security flaw which is specific to Samsung. Again, I spoke with them and they said the features and concerns relate to Android and Google, not Samsung.

I'm know this may seem petty but the whole point of "OK Google" is to have full hands free flexibility while the point of device security, is just that... security! Why should I need to unlock my device in order to use a verbal "OK Google" function and furthermore, remove my security password to allow for a Google backup?

I even ensured "allow Google voice with screen lock" was activated but this only works for certain features but not anything pertaining to your contacts etc... Seems like a major security flaw versus a "safety" feature to me!

What's your feedback? TIA!!
    I received no resolution from my local Authorized Samsung Retailer and as a result, decided to revert back to iPhone. Too many issues with Samsung and their underlying hardware; with the latest Android blunder, this is just poor quality hardware and OS.

If Samsung actually took an interest as Apple does with their customers and showed some empathy towards the situation, I may have toughed it out! Unfortunately, when you get a company whose mandate is to pass the buck, state they cannot help you and try to rush you out of the store in order to proceed with the next "paying" customer buying a device, as a consumer, our only option is to vote with our wallet.

I hope Samsung fixes some of their device flaws as it relates to their hardware and for all Android users who are experiencing the Android/Google behavior, I hope they release an update sooner than later to fix the headache the current Android OS has caused.