Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: UPS Won't Register GV# for Notifications

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by batcave View Post
    Is this easy to accomplish? How did you convince them?

I actually no longer have a US mobile account anymore. Although I do have a foreign one.
    It took some persistence, and it was back on 5/19/17.

The post https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...1#post16853881 (see quote below) is where I described how I did it. There may also be other useful info in the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I contacted Uber support. They are quite responsive and reply fairly quickly, at least that has been the case today.

The 1st response said "We noticed you are requesting to use a type of phone number that our system does not support. Numbers such as Google Voice or VOIP numbers are not compatible with our system. You will need to update your phone number to a different mobile phone number if you want to continue." I replied and said I don't have a real mobile phone # and asked to have my issue forwarded to a higher level of support.

I soon got a reply from a different rep asking me to "provide a screenshot of your mobile carrier and also your mobile number". I sent a screenshot of About Phone>Network, which showed AT&T as the network service provider, and a screenshot of the Hangouts settings page showing my GV #.

I received another reply from another rep stating "I've manually verified your mobile number". Because I always like to double check, I sent another message for this to be confirmed, and received another reply from yet again a different rep stating "upon reviewing your account, I could see that everthing is good to go from our end".

Since Uber allows free cancellation within 2-5 minutes of a ride request, I did just do a test ride request, and it seemed successful, and then I cancelled the ride.

So I'm hoping the issue is fixed for me and that I'll be able to use the Uber app with my GV # from now on.
    To fill in a piece of info I left out in that old post, or that was possibly mentioned elsewhere in that old thread, the "screenshot of About Phone>Network, which showed AT&T as the network service provider" also showed no phone #, since I use data only SIMs with my GV #, and that was on my LG Phoenix 2. On my current Moto E4, I have to go to About Phone>Status>SIM Status, to see the network provider and that there is no phone #. All that to say, you may have to look around for that screen on your phone to show Uber support, depending on your phone make/model/OS/version.

And as I mentioned above, I've successfully done Uber rides several times since then, including most recently in August, 2019.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    I think the issue is within MyChoice set up only and that they'll send notifications to the phone number on the account but I couldn't verify in the MyChoice preferences.
    That sounds right, based on the success of getting UPS text notifications to my GV # for yesterday's delivery, despite not receiving the setup verification.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9 Duos
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    It took some persistence, and it was back on 5/19/17.

what's the purpose of a phone number in Uber anyway?

I put in a number from one of the Asian sim cards in my phone. I get free incoming texts worldwide so that was okay.

I'm not sure there is a purpose to a phone number in an Uber account.

EDIT: After several email exchanges, one of the support reps put my GV number back into my account. Hopefully I will be able to book rides with it now!

I guess I wore them down!
    Last edited by batcave; 09-22-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by batcave View Post

what's the purpose of a phone number in Uber anyway?

I put in a number from one of the Asian sim cards in my phone. I get free incoming texts worldwide so that was okay.

I'm not sure there is a purpose to a phone number in an Uber account.

EDIT: After several email exchanges, one of the support reps put my GV number back into my account. Hopefully I will be able to book rides with it now!

I guess I wore them down!
    Well, I'd guess the purpose is 1) Uber requires it, and 2) so the driver has a way to contact you via call or text if necessary.

Good. I'm glad you were persistent got Uber to add your GV # to your Uber account. If you want to test it to make sure it will work before you REALLY need it, just request a ride, and then after it's successfully scheduled, cancel it within 2 or 3 minutes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2