Thread: VoLTE issue on Telus

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

VoLTE issue on Telus

Posting here in the hopes that someone may have some thoughts.

I have the Telus Peace of Mind plan on my XS Max. Had a Koodo plan previously and VoLTE worked flawlessly. Since the switch to Telus, it is broken. Have called Telus multiple times with no resolution. VoLTE switched on on my end, turned on on their end. Outgoing calls work as expected (ie. LTE stays on). Incoming calls drop to 3G. If the incoming call is not answered, voicemail does NOT kick in but instead, the caller gets busy signals. Essentially, this makes VoLTE unusable and I need to shut it off.

I've really loved the feature for years as I had it on Virgin and then Koodo. Ironically, Telus, the premium brand, has issues with it. I've tried swapping my SIM card, a different phone, reset network settings, restarts, etc. No change.

Telus says they need to investigate. They haven't got a clue. Anyone ever come across this before?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Judging by all the replies, no one else has a clue either.

The problem was resolved by Telus issuing a new number. The service works flawlessly now.

Feedback Score

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by ddsdude View Post
    I've really loved the feature for years as I had it on Virgin and then Koodo. Ironically, Telus, the premium brand, has issues with it.
    Yes, I was with Virgin for about 7 years without any problems at all. I mean literally zero issues. Since switching to Telus for unlimited data I've noticed a few hiccups in just 2 months with them.

- Data once in a while has been weirdly slow. Like 2 mbps slow for no apparent reason.
    - SMS sometimes don't go through, I've never ever had that problem in 7 years on Virgin.
    - WiFi calling, you can't set it to WiFi preferred on a Note 9 or Note 10 for that matter. The setting is simply missing, Virgin / Bell has it and I would prefer it hands down. What's the point in having WiFi calling that just defaults to the network and congests the tower anyways?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Interesting. I was with Virgin for 6 years. The only issue I had was that the data meter was often far behind real time data use. When I had their 6 gb plan, several times I had incurred some serious overage charges because of their slow to update data meter. Koodoís meter was near real time and Telusí seems to be as well.

When I switched to Koodo I had zero issues. I had ported my number several times. Wind to Virgin to Koodo to PM then back to Koodo. No issues. Telus now just ported it from Koodo. You would think itís the same company, easy peasy right? Wrong! VoLTE broken, incoming calls receive busy signals, call waiting not working, voicemail was not being invoked when the odd call would go through. After days of these issues and many hours on the phone with tech support, they finally gave up and offered to issue a new number. I was fed up so I agreed. So far so good. Havenít noticed the issues you mentioned but itís still early days so who knows.

My impression so far is that there is some deep rooted level of incompetence in this company. They said the ported number is not originally a Telus number and that could be the source of the problem. Well duh! Of course itís not a Telus number. Thatís the idea of PORTING IN: to switch carriers seamlessly without loosing your number. Anyway, I hope this plan is worth the initial aggravation. Time will tell.

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ddsdude View Post

I have the Telus Peace of Mind plan on my XS Max. Had a Koodo plan previously and VoLTE worked flawlessly. Since the switch to Telus, it is broken. Have called Telus multiple times with no resolution. VoLTE switched on on my end, turned on on their end. Outgoing calls work as expected (ie. LTE stays on). Incoming calls drop to 3G. If the incoming call is not answered, voicemail does NOT kick in but instead, the caller gets busy signals. Essentially, this makes VoLTE unusable and I need to shut it off.

I've really loved the feature for years as I had it on Virgin and then Koodo. Ironically, Telus, the premium brand, has issues with it. I've tried swapping my SIM card, a different phone, reset network settings, restarts, etc. No change.

Telus says they need to investigate. They haven't got a clue. Anyone ever come across this before?
    I went the opposite way, Telus -> Koodo and had a sort of similar issue - except the VoLTE switch was greyed out on the phone. I wish I could remember the details of the resolution. Try turning off both VoLTE and WIFI calling, re-enabling both, then re-entering the WiFi calling 911 address details (because somehow VoLTE & WIFI Calling are related either in the phone or on Telus's end). Turn off VoLTE and WIFI data before you call in again, and be prepared to spend some time on the call as it escalates through trouble-shooting tiers.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

VoLTE issue on Telus

Quote Originally Posted by turbogeek View Post
    I went the opposite way, Telus -> Koodo and had a sort of similar issue - except the VoLTE switch was greyed out on the phone. I wish I could remember the details of the resolution. Try turning off both VoLTE and WIFI calling, re-enabling both, then re-entering the WiFi calling 911 address details (because somehow VoLTE & WIFI Calling are related either in the phone or on Telus's end). Turn off VoLTE and WIFI data before you call in again, and be prepared to spend some time on the call as it escalates through trouble-shooting tiers.
    If your VoLTE was greyed out thatís an easier issue to solve. It just means the profile is disabled on their end and they simply need to reset it. Mine was a different beast. VoLTE was on but broken. Incoming calls dropped to 3g or wouldnít go through (busy signals). I spent days/hours on the phone, going up to the highest tier. They finally threw in the towel and said they can either continue trying to find the root cause of the problem (could take days or weeks) or just give me a new number. I chose the latter. All issues now resolved.

I must have ported my number 5 other times over the years without a hitch. Only Telus managed to mess it up.

Feedback Score
    Add another one to the list, enjoying a WiFi call today and it just cut out and all of a sudden I'm on cellular (without the call). Never ever had that happen on Virgin. Telus is proving it is not as reliable compared to Bell quite a bit.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    Add another one to the list, enjoying a WiFi call today and it just cut out and all of a sudden I'm on cellular (without the call). Never ever had that happen on Virgin. Telus is proving it is not as reliable compared to Bell quite a bit.
    Virgin was an absolute dream. In the 6 years I was with them, not a single billing or technical issue. Not one. Bell may be the greediest but they run a great network.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Iíve been with Telus for over 4 years and never had a technical problem. The only issue Iíve had with them is waiting 1.5+ hours to get a hold of someone when calling in Their network, wifi calling etc have been flawless. I would prefer their wifi calling to work like it does with Rogers (where itís preferred even when LTE signal is full), but it still works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    Iíve been with Telus for over 4 years and never had a technical problem. The only issue Iíve had with them is waiting 1.5+ hours to get a hold of someone when calling in Their network, wifi calling etc have been flawless. I would prefer their wifi calling to work like it does with Rogers (where itís preferred even when LTE signal is full), but it still works well for me.

Now that I have a new number, the service has been flawless so far. The issue seems to have been a bad port on Telus' part. Their network seems excellent as I have not dropped signal anywhere.

Feedback Score

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post

Ditto on the wifi calling setting. It's very annoying they actually remove the option in the CSC (Carrier Specific Customization) to allow the client to choose wifi preferred or cellular preferred.

On the 1.5 hour part, I've never waited anything close to that long on Virgin although I annoyingly always get someone in the Philippines. The sort of practice that should be illegal because companies that large clearly don't care about employing their own population, take Canadian's money overseas... Strange Telus is so highly rated given a 1.5 hour hold.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

VoLTE issue on Telus

Ya I have no idea why theyíre rated as having great customer service. They were good for a little while when I first joined, but I havenít had a good experience in a few years. Luckily their network is great

Surprisingly, Rogers customer service has improved dramatically over the last few years and is pretty good from my experience. Thereís also very little wait time with them when calling in. Theyíre also the only big 3 carrier that doesnít offshore/outsource their customer service...itís all in country.
    Last edited by toolcube; 09-22-2019 at 07:41 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    back everything up with iTunes then do a full firmware restore