Thread: Two rings and calls go to voice mail. Is this a boom! problem or GV?

Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score

Two rings and calls go to voice mail. Is this a boom! problem or GV?

My wife has been a happy boom! customer for years. But whenever I call her from my Google Voice number I hear the normal five or six rings and the call goes to voice mail. She hears two rings only.

This happens occasionally with other numbers, but not always. And it doesn't always happened when I call. But it happens frequently enough that I contacted boom! customer service, twice in fact, and they did a remote re-set for her phone. I called her yesterday and heard the normal five or six rings and she heard only two before the call went to voice mail. So I'm not going to contact boom! customer service again because whatever they do from their end makes no difference.

Is it a boom! problem or because I'm calling with a GV number? We use identical Moto E4 phones.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I have not noticed this when placing calls with my GV #, which is my only #, when testing other lines, and I haven't gotten any complaints about that happening when I call other people.

I use my GV # over data only, just in case that makes a difference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    My wife has been a happy boom! customer for years. But whenever I call her from my Google Voice number I hear the normal five or six rings and the call goes to voice mail. She hears two rings only.

This happens occasionally with other numbers, but not always. And it doesn't always happened when I call. But it happens frequently enough that I contacted boom! customer service, twice in fact, and they did a remote re-set for her phone. I called her yesterday and heard the normal five or six rings and she heard only two before the call went to voice mail. So I'm not going to contact boom! customer service again because whatever they do from their end makes no difference.

Is it a boom! problem or because I'm calling with a GV number? We use identical Moto E4 phones.
    Boom does not operate any part of the physical cell network or interconnects. They just buy wholesale service from AT&T and Verizon and sell it to us. They also don't operate the voicemail. That is done by AT&T and Verizon too.

What happens if you call from you native cell number? That should tell you who to point the finger at.

Feedback Score
    When I first got my E4's I noticed that the first couple rings are very very low volume. If your phones not right by your side and even then, you may not even notice. Of course the calling person just hears normal rings on their end. In one of these forums I was told that's normal for the phone, something to do with gradually increasing ring volume so if you have head phones in it doesn't blow you away; I don't know.

Could it be your wife or yourself on your E4's could just be missing (not hearing) the first couple rings depending on where the phones at ?

Also I've had 1 or 2 calls go straight to voice mail, no rings. If not those quiet first rings then maybe a bug in the system. I'm on PPC.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Don't forget OP that Boom customer service should be able to troubleshoot this. Don't ask Att or Verizon to help.

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    @rpz1: My experience with my first gen Moto E was that, to my surprise, it had this "safety feature" whereby its ringer for incoming calls had a delayed, graduated, or increasing volume pattern for the sound level because it uses the earpiece speaker for things other phones use a rear mounted speaker for (there is no rear speaker), and they wanted to make it so you wouldn't blast your ear if you had the phone near it when a call came in. It gives you a lot less time to notice you've got incoming calls if you're in a noisy environment or your phone is tucked away.

And I'm not so sure these days there's intended to be a direct correlation between the ring count the caller hears versus what the recipient hears.

Feedback Score
    >But whenever I call her from my Google Voice number I hear the normal five or six rings and the call goes to voice mail. She hears two rings only.

It's GV. I have same problem, except worse. Inbound calls sometimes go directly to voicemail w/o ringing. As with all things telecom, YMMV.

The good and bad with GV is that it's free. There's no QC. For some, it's good, for others, it's just tolerable.

>Don't forget OP that Boom customer service should be able to troubleshoot this. Don't ask Att or Verizon to help.

If you add GV to the mix, it's on you to figure it out. Some folks think CS is the end-all to solving phone troubles, and inevitably they come away disappointed. Sometimes, it's you who are the problem.

The simple troubleshoot is to use the native number instead of GV for a while and see if the problem goes away. If it does, GV; if not, then call CS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    @rpz1: My experience with my first gen Moto E was that, to my surprise, it had this "safety feature" whereby its ringer for incoming calls had a delayed, graduated, or increasing volume pattern for the sound level because it uses the earpiece speaker for things other phones use a rear mounted speaker for (there is no rear speaker), and they wanted to make it so you wouldn't blast your ear if you had the phone near it when a call came in. It gives you a lot less time to notice you've got incoming calls if you're in a noisy environment or your phone is tucked away.

And I'm not so sure these days there's intended to be a direct correlation between the ring count the caller hears versus what the recipient hears.
    Totally agree. That's why I wondered if maybe the recipient on the E4 was just not hearing the initial rings.

Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post

Other than the normal ring volume is there a setting on the phone to make the first ring louder?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    Other than the normal ring volume is there a setting on the phone to make the first ring louder?
    No. At least not that I know of. Like @whacker mentioned a feature of the phone. I found that some of the ring tones will offer you some better clarity on the quiet rings.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Back when I first got that particular phone, once I learned of the "feature," I searched high and low for a solution to defeat it and couldn't find anything. Maybe something if you were able to root the device, but nothing easy. Built-in. No matter how high you set the ringer volume it's going to start off comparatively low, then build.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    Make sure to pick a higher volume ringtone. The volume comes up pretty quickly & isn't an issue for me.

The biggest problem is that AT&T doesn't ring as many times as Verizon & there is a small delay with 3g calls.