Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Tello - Credit Expiration

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Liborio View Post
    Done.

. . .

Hopefully, in the next thirty days someone on this Forum will find a new provider for long term
    DID parking on the cheap -- won't hold my breath, though.
    Well, for a couple of minutes I thought I found the provider myself in Pix Wireless:

https://pixwireless.com/activation/y...ctivation/plan

PAYGO plans never expire and roll over forever.

2˘ PER MIN, 1/2 C ˘ PER TEXT, 2˘ PER MB
    (In denominations from $5.00 to $100.00)

Then comes the kicker:

+ $3.99 monthly access charge. All taxes and fees included.
    It was just too good to be true.

I suppose that the $5.00 plan could be used as the middleman between a landline and
    Google Voice or for very short term parking.

It doesn't appear that there are any other old Tello like providers left, but keep-on looking.
    Last edited by Liborio; 09-16-2019 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
    A genius is one who shoots at something no one else can see, and hits it (author unknown).

--
    Liborio

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Here is proof of the provision that (as people mentioned in this thread) has ACTUALLY been in effect until now (time-stamped as of 2019-07-02 by the Web Archive). Hmm. There is a discrepancy here in Tello's statements as to what policies were in effect when.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190702221241/tello.com/terms

Pay As You Go Service Agreement

Pay As You Go credit is available for a period of 3 months since customer's last order or call, text or data session, effective September 1, 2017. If none of the actions mentioned above was carried out in a period of 3 months, SIM and Pay As You Go credit will not be available for calls.

------------------------------
    (credit posters on reddit).
    Good catch.

I perused the Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Tello/comme...ntain_balance/

I'm not going to rehash comments I read there on this forum.

However, if it turns out that the new policy date was intentionally back-dated to 2017, I would take
    back what I said a few minutes ago on my last posting about Tello being an honorable company.

Feedback Score
    "This combined with the min $20 top up makes it $6.66 per month"

I was still able to top up by $10 by momentarily turning on Auto Recharge and it topped up $10 (which I had set it to).

So if that remains the case it can be only half of what you calculate.
    Last edited by comintel; 09-16-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Feedback Score
    According to 2 conversations with customer service agents at Tello (now posted in the Reddit thread linked above), nothing has changed in the way Tello is currently applying the rule, even if the Terms have changed. No need to purchase additional PayGO credit, only a need to have some use every 90 days.

Feedback Score
    >According to 2 conversations with customer service agents at Tello (now posted in the Reddit thread linked above), nothing has changed in the way Tello is currently applying the rule, even if the Terms have changed.

Unfortunately, written terms supercede verbal assurances. The latter doesn't mean much if/when Tello enforces the written terms. The fact of the matter is that the terms HAVE changed, regardless of the backdating faux pas.

IMO, if you have a valued number that you are parking, you should port out.

If you have an existing PAYGO, continue as before, but be on alert for any Tello email. Because if/when Tello swings the axe, the odds are good that acct termination will have preceding warnings. It's common sense that will protect Tello from lawsuits.

If you've been recommending Tello as an almost-no-expire PAYGO provider, stop. Per the terms that's no longer true, regardless of what CSRs say.

@greenhandle: If you happen to talk to Tello CS again, ask for the reason for the change in terms, along with why the false backdating, and why they don't intend to enforce it.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like an oversight in editing the terms to me. Customer reps all say it is usage every 90 days that is required. Even then I've gone over 90 days a couple of times and they never did anything.

Swapping a phone counts as an order and is free. So those who have spare phones or placeholder meids can just do that once every 90 days if this turns out to be per the letter of the terms. But I highly doubt it.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I emailed Tello about this a few days ago and got no reply. I'll post what they say, but ultimately they can choose to enforce that whenever they want.. if they want to. I'll probably transfer these backup phones to h2o if need be, $3/mo with auto refill. Tello's customer service isn't that great but I've had TracFone since the analog days which sets the benchmark for horrible customer service. Thankfully, it's been my faithful backup on Verizon for most of that time so it's not a big deal to me.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone XR
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 6s [AT&T] & iPhone 8 [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10) + iPad Mini 4 w/ T-Mobile LTE

Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    If you have an existing PAYGO, continue as before, but be on alert for any Tello email. Because if/when Tello swings the axe, the odds are good that acct termination will have preceding warnings. It's common sense that will protect Tello from lawsuits.
    I trust that I will indeed receive an email notifying me that my paygo account is about to expire if and when that happens. We'll see. I have 2 paygo numbers with Tello, one as a parked number and the other for a little-used business number for my wife's business. I'm guessing that with the existing paygo accounts Tello will just "let sleeping dogs lie" or whatever the expression is. The new expiration rule will only apply to new accounts. But I'm only guessing.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I trust that I will indeed receive an email notifying me that my paygo account is about to expire if and when that happens. We'll see. I have 2 paygo numbers with Tello, one as a parked number and the other for a little-used business number for my wife's business. I'm guessing that with the existing paygo accounts Tello will just "let sleeping dogs lie" or whatever the expression is. The new expiration rule will only apply to new accounts. But I'm only guessing.
    Until this past Sunday, I had almost exactly the same Tello set-up as you, except that
    the little-used business number belongs to a dear lady friend who's not my wife.

In order to ensure that my friend's number wasn't lost as a result of Tello's new T.O.S.,
    I ported-out my friend's number as soon as I received confirmation of Tello's new T.O.S.
    from a Tello C.S.R.

If you have a number you can't afford to lose and don't wish to pay Tello $80.00 a year,
    port-it out of Tello.

You've been warned.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    I emailed Tello about this a few days ago and got no reply. I'll post what they say, but ultimately they can choose to enforce that whenever they want.. if they want to. I'll probably transfer these backup phones to h2o if need be, $3/mo with auto refill. Tello's customer service isn't that great but I've had TracFone since the analog days which sets the benchmark for horrible customer service. Thankfully, it's been my faithful backup on Verizon for most of that time so it's not a big deal to me.
    This.

Customers agreed to the TOS so if they enforce this at some point there's no complaining about it.

It's likely though that increasing the minimum buy to $20 was a way for them to put off enforcing that condition. It does indicate that they are looking at it though imo.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Liborio View Post
    Until this past Sunday, I had almost exactly the same Tello set-up as you, except that
    the little-used business number belongs to a dear lady friend who's not my wife.

In order to ensure that my friend's number wasn't lost as a result of Tello's new T.O.S.,
    I ported-out my friend's number as soon as I received confirmation of Tello's new T.O.S.
    from a Tello C.S.R.

If you have a number you can't afford to lose and don't wish to pay Tello $80.00 a year,
    port-it out of Tello.

You've been warned.
    It would be a good time for people to chime in with the 'next best' alternatives.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    It would be a good time for people to chime in with the 'next best' alternatives.
    Or for Tello to fix their TOS!

Feedback Score
    But can a company change the TOS after the sale? If you buy something with a three year warranty, can they then a month later change it to a one year warranty? I don't think so. So for people who purchased a paygo credit before Sept 2017, I don't see how these new terms can apply. More importantly, thanks to the internet records that have been archived, it's clear this change was only made after July of this year, so how can people who bought a credit under the OLD terms be held to these new changed terms? I would be concerned buying paygo credits from now on, but I think it they try to enforce these NEW terms on previous purchases, there will justified outrage. I can see why they would make this change, but I think it can only be legally applied to people who bought credits since these terms were ACTUALLY updated on their website, which would appear to have been in the last month or so.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dudest View Post
    But can a company change the TOS after the sale? If you buy something with a three year warranty, can they then a month later change it to a one year warranty? I don't think so. So for people who purchased a paygo credit before Sept 2017, I don't see how these new terms can apply. More importantly, thanks to the internet records that have been archived, it's clear this change was only made after July of this year, so how can people who bought a credit under the OLD terms be held to these new changed terms? I would be concerned buying paygo credits from now on, but I think it they try to enforce these NEW terms on previous purchases, there will justified outrage. I can see why they would make this change, but I think it can only be legally applied to people who bought credits since these terms were ACTUALLY updated on their website, which would appear to have been in the last month or so.
    Most ToS, including Tello's, have a clause that says that the company can change the terms at any time and that the user must accept the new terms, to continue using the service. Here's Tello's clause "We'll keep these Terms and Conditions up-to-date. So, please revisit them from times to times. By continuing to use our service after a change means that you have accepted the changes implemented."

I'm not a lawyer and have no idea if this sort of clause is enforceable.
    See my list of 2019 Black Friday prepaid and unlocked phone deals at https://prepaidcompare.net/bf2019.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    Most ToS, including Tello's, have a clause that says that the company can change the terms at any time and that the user must accept the new terms, to continue using the service. Here's Tello's clause "We'll keep these Terms and Conditions up-to-date. So, please revisit them from times to times. By continuing to use our service after a change means that you have accepted the changes implemented."

I'm not a lawyer and have no idea if this sort of clause is enforceable.
    I'm not a lawyer either. I've always thought that on month to month service, the company can change the terms for future months that have not been paid yet, but not the month that was already paid. Imagine if you bought 1,000 minutes and the next day they said you actually only bought 200 minutes because they changed the terms after the sale. That's what I'm thinking here. If you buy a paygo credit under certain terms, they can't change those terms afterwards. I can see changing the terms for future sales, but not past sales. Oh well. The law doesn't always make sense, and some companies ignore it anyway.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast