Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Camera capability of recent Android phones?

Feedback Score

Camera capability of recent Android phones?

(Mods: if there's a better forum for this question, please move it. I looked at the Android forums here, and they don't seem to get much traffic.)

I used to have a LG Ultimate 2 (2013 release) on KitKat. Its camera app had tons of settings. It could do panoramic mode (which I assume to be a software/app capability... not a hardware capability).

I note that Wikipedia sez:
    Google Camera is a camera application developed by Google for Android. It was initially supported on all devices running Android 4.4 KitKat and higher, but is now only officially supported on Google's Pixel devices. It was publicly released for Android 4.4+ on the Google Play Store on April 16, 2014 and removed from public view on Feb 17, 2016.
    I just bought a LG Rebel 4 (Android Oreo) which is at the same price point as the Ultimate 2. Its "Camera" app is very stripped down. Very few settings, and I was surprised to discover when I was in a national park last weekend that it couldn't do any panoramas.

Settings - Apps says my "Camera" app is version 7.0.172 (but doesn't say whose app this is). Play Store on the phone doesn't show Google Camera at all. From my computer, I can find it at https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.GoogleCamera (there's no version number, but the info says "The latest version of Google Camera only works on Pixel phones on Android 10 and above. Some features are not available on all devices.") If I try this link on the phone, Google Play says "Your device isn't compatible with this version."

On another thread, someone suggested I try "Open Camera". It claims to support panorama but "(Some features may not be available on all devices, as they may depend on hardware or camera features, the Android version, etc.)" On the Rebel 4, I can't find panorama mode. So is my hardware simply unable to support it? I can't imagine why. I'll start digging into their forums to see what I can learn.

If you have a recent Android phone, could you please answer:
    1. What's your model of phone and version of Android?
    2. What camera app did it come with? Which version?
    3. Does it support panoramas? (If the answer is "yes but I had to install a different camera app", please explain which app you needed to install.)

Thanks

Feedback Score
    This page
    http://www.mobosdata.com/phone/lg-rebel-4/
    says
    CAMERA Primary 8 MP 3264 x 2448 pixels LED flash
    Sensor type: CMOS, Autofocus, Continuous shooting, Digital zoom, Geotagging, Panorama, HDR, Touch focus, Face detection, White balance settings, ISO settings, Exposure compensation, Self-timer, Scene mode

If that's correct, then why doesn't LG supply an app that uses all the camera's capabilities? I am (obviously) confused.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I have a bunch of "recent" Android phones: Simple Mobile Moto E5, Tracfone Samsung J3 Sky, Tracfone Huawei Sensa, Tracfone LG Fiesta 2, unlocked LG Q6, unlocked LG G6. The Moto E5, Samsung J3 Sky, and Huawei Sensa were cleaned and put away, I'm too lazy to dig them out. I did check the three LG phones for you.

* LG Fiesta 2: Android 7.0, camera app 5.30.79, no Panorama mode.
    * LG Q6: Android 7.1.1, camera app 6.0.105.9, built-in Panorama mode.
    * LG G6: Android 8.0.0, camera app 7.0.146, built-in Panorama mode.

I think (no proof) the Panorama mode has to be built into the phone's camera. The LQ Q6 and G6 were introduced in 2017, at a higher pricepoint than the Fiesta 2 and Rebel 4, and they're not TF-branded.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    What aspect are you saying the included app doesn't support?

Did you try Open Camera?

Feedback Score
    The included app under MODE, has choices of Auto and Flash Jump-Cut. There is no Panorama Mode. That's what I want.

Yes, I installed Open Camera. Choices for Photo Mode are STD, DRO, HDR, EXPO(). Choices for Scene Mode are Auto, Landscape, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Night, Portrait, Sports, Steady Photo, Candlelight, Fireworks, Party, Night Portrait, Theatre, Action. And I looked through all the other menus.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Just checked my Moto E4+

The Motorola app and Footej show panorama modes but Open Camera doesn't. I thought it did before, but I don't use it often. But now I'm curious why OC doesn't have the mode.

I had GCam at one point (rooted, Camera2 API enabled) but don't remember if it showed panorama.

Feedback Score
    Maybe when LG specs say Panorama they mean Landscape. And when Open Camera says Landscape they mean Panorama. I know the 2 don't operate the same but you basically get the same. Just a thought.

Feedback Score
    Ok, just read some things on photographic Panoramic in general. Indications are that in general it's a 16:9 aspect ratio. My LG K4 (basically the same as the LG Zone) has the basic no name camera app as discussed. It does not have " Panoramic" mode but you can change the aspect ratio to 16:9. So maybe that's their definition and ability. Just a thought.

Feedback Score
    On the Ultimate 2, Panorama mode helped you to shoot multiple images and then they would be stitched together into one composite image.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by melman View Post
    On the Ultimate 2, Panorama mode helped you to shoot multiple images and then they would be stitched together into one composite image.
    That's how Panorama mode works on my LG Q6 and LG G6.

Feedback Score
    I 100% totally agree. That's how it works on my E4. Was just throwing out there that maybe whoever at LG put the specs together that mention panoramic assumed 16:9 is the same thing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Just checked my Moto E4+

The Motorola app and Footej show panorama modes but Open Camera doesn't.
    Have those same apps on my Moto G5+ and it's the opposite. Moto Camera and Open Camera have panorama but Footej does not.

Checking some older Tracfones, both my Galaxy Core Prime and Galaxy Stardust have panorama.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    This page doesn't mention panorama.
    https://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg...acfone-rebel-4

I don't know anything about the mobosdata site.

Feedback Score
    I see the process as a video that is then saved as a still image. Do remember older dedicated digital cameras that would take multiple still images, then post-process stitch those into a single wide image. You usually saw distortions where the stitching was done if the panorama was very wide.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Have those same apps on my Moto G5+ and it's the opposite. Moto Camera and Open Camera have panorama but Footej does not.
    Interesting. I have a G5+ coming. Have to look into that.

Just double check, you went all the way right in Footej?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast