Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Factory unlocked iPhone 11 to sprint, will it get locked?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,444
    Feedback Score
    0

    Factory unlocked iPhone 11 to sprint, will it get locked?

    I have an unlocked sim-free iPhone 11 coming on Friday that I bought directly from Apple. I have sprint service currently. I have been reading that once I put my Sprint Sim in it the phone gets locked for 50 days even though it is factory unlocked. Is there any truth to this?

    Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,209
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by username321 View Post
    I have an unlocked sim-free iPhone 11 coming on Friday that I bought directly from Apple. I have sprint service currently. I have been reading that once I put my Sprint Sim in it the phone gets locked for 50 days even though it is factory unlocked. Is there any truth to this?

    Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    No they can't lock your phone when do you BYOD

    Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    8
    Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    No they can't lock your phone when do you BYOD

    Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    +1. Never had it happen when I bought unlocked from Apple Store.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    141
    Feedback Score
    0
    I am curious to know where you read this.

    It is true that if you bring a Sprint locked phone to Sprint you have to have it activated on the Sprint network for 50 days before they will unlock it. But I have never experienced Sprint locking an unlocked phone.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,209
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post
    I am curious to know where you read this.

    It is true that if you bring a Sprint locked phone to Sprint you have to have it activated on the Sprint network for 50 days before they will unlock it. But I have never experienced Sprint locking an unlocked phone.
    I have a unlocked phone and have never had anything lock it.

    Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    55
    Feedback Score
    0
    My Boost mobile Moto G6 play bought from Walmart was locked by sprint for 50 days. It was not previously activated.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    8
    Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    Factory unlocked iPhone 11 to sprint, will it get locked?

    Quote Originally Posted by paaz View Post
    My Boost mobile Moto G6 play bought from Walmart was locked by sprint for 50 days. It was not previously activated.
    Are prepaids handled differently from post-paids in regards unlocked v. locked?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by gdrenick74; 09-16-2019 at 06:47 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,821
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post
    Are prepaids handled differently from post-paids in regards unlocked v. locked? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    with prepaid, your getting the phone cheaper and the lock is to off-set the price. on the back of the box in should say the amount needed to unlock the phone or wait it out.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    173
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by username321 View Post
    I have an unlocked sim-free iPhone 11 coming on Friday that I bought directly from Apple. I have sprint service currently. I have been reading that once I put my Sprint Sim in it the phone gets locked for 50 days even though it is factory unlocked. Is there any truth to this?

    Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    It can happen with so-called "flex policy" iPhones bought through resellers. Check this out:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comm...policy_unlock/

    AFAIK, it should not happen with SIM-free unlocked iPhones bought directly from Apple.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,821
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by vvk View Post
    It can happen with so-called "flex policy" iPhones bought through resellers. Check this out: https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comm...policy_unlock/ AFAIK, it should not happen with SIM-free unlocked iPhones bought directly from Apple.
    see this thread - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-that-was-BYOP

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    826
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 (unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by username321 View Post
    I have an unlocked sim-free iPhone 11 coming on Friday that I bought directly from Apple. I have sprint service currently. I have been reading that once I put my Sprint Sim in it the phone gets locked for 50 days even though it is factory unlocked. Is there any truth to this?

    Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    They’ll financially lock it (FED). This means it can’t be used on Sprint MVNOs. Happened to my unlocked 7 and now to the warranty replacement unlocked 7. I don’t have service with them anymore and I’m having them work on removing the financial hold.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,444
    Feedback Score
    0

    Factory unlocked iPhone 11 to sprint, will it get locked?

    Quote Originally Posted by prof68 View Post
    They’ll financially lock it (FED). This means it can’t be used on Sprint MVNOs. Happened to my unlocked 7 and now to the warranty replacement unlocked 7. I don’t have service with them anymore and I’m having them work on removing the financial hold.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok so my phone didn’t get locked but it did have this happen which is a bunch of BS. Have you been working with them a long time? The rep I spoke to said they can remove that after 50 days.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    826
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 (unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by username321 View Post
    Ok so my phone didn’t get locked but it did have this happen which is a bunch of BS. Have you been working with them a long time? The rep I spoke to said they can remove that after 50 days.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I've been working with them for over a week. No progress yet.

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,933
    Feedback Score
    0
    According to https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comm...e_50_day_lock/

    to be sure it is not locked temporarily by Sprint, order it from Apple as the sim-free model with no sim and not as a Sprint model with a Sprint sim.

    Just saying "factory unlocked and direct from Apple" may not tell the whole story. It may need to be the sim-free model with no sim, according to posters there.

    (but if it is the Sprint model they will unlock it anyway after 50 days).

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,513
    Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    According to https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comm...e_50_day_lock/

    to be sure it is not locked temporarily by Sprint, order it from Apple as the sim-free model with no sim and not as a Sprint model with a Sprint sim.

    Just saying "factory unlocked and direct from Apple" may not tell the whole story. It may need to be the sim-free model with no sim, according to posters there.

    (but if it is the Sprint model they will unlock it anyway after 50 days).
    That's a ludicrous policy. What does someone gain by buying the carrier version from Apple anyway? A free sim card? I can see from the carrier or a store to get a better price but other than that it seems to make no sense.

    I have read where using an unlocked phone on a Sprint MVNO can end up with the phone being locked to the MVNO also. Purely hearsay/memory as I cannot provide a link.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Factory unlock iphone x to use with any netwtork sim card using itunes
    By Express Unlocks in forum attunlockcode.com - Unlock Your Mobile With Any Carrier | Best Online Phone Codes | Fastest Response Time
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2018, 04:58 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-10-2017, 10:53 AM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-10-2017, 10:52 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-31-2011, 10:22 PM
  5. Factory Unlocked Iphone From Apple Store Is it Posible
    By rangbaz in forum Rogers/Fido/Chat-r
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-16-2009, 10:57 PM

Bookmarks