Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Factory unlocked iPhone 11 to sprint, will it get locked?

Feedback Score

Factory unlocked iPhone 11 to sprint, will it get locked?

I have an unlocked sim-free iPhone 11 coming on Friday that I bought directly from Apple. I have sprint service currently. I have been reading that once I put my Sprint Sim in it the phone gets locked for 50 days even though it is factory unlocked. Is there any truth to this?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by username321 View Post
    I have an unlocked sim-free iPhone 11 coming on Friday that I bought directly from Apple. I have sprint service currently. I have been reading that once I put my Sprint Sim in it the phone gets locked for 50 days even though it is factory unlocked. Is there any truth to this?

No they can't lock your phone when do you BYOD

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    No they can't lock your phone when do you BYOD

+1. Never had it happen when I bought unlocked from Apple Store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    I am curious to know where you read this.

It is true that if you bring a Sprint locked phone to Sprint you have to have it activated on the Sprint network for 50 days before they will unlock it. But I have never experienced Sprint locking an unlocked phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post
    I am curious to know where you read this.

It is true that if you bring a Sprint locked phone to Sprint you have to have it activated on the Sprint network for 50 days before they will unlock it. But I have never experienced Sprint locking an unlocked phone.
    I have a unlocked phone and have never had anything lock it.

Feedback Score
    My Boost mobile Moto G6 play bought from Walmart was locked by sprint for 50 days. It was not previously activated.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by paaz View Post
    My Boost mobile Moto G6 play bought from Walmart was locked by sprint for 50 days. It was not previously activated.
    Are prepaids handled differently from post-paids in regards unlocked v. locked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by gdrenick74; 09-16-2019 at 06:47 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post
    Are prepaids handled differently from post-paids in regards unlocked v. locked? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    with prepaid, your getting the phone cheaper and the lock is to off-set the price. on the back of the box in should say the amount needed to unlock the phone or wait it out.

Feedback Score

It can happen with so-called "flex policy" iPhones bought through resellers. Check this out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comm...policy_unlock/

AFAIK, it should not happen with SIM-free unlocked iPhones bought directly from Apple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vvk View Post
    It can happen with so-called "flex policy" iPhones bought through resellers. Check this out: https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comm...policy_unlock/ AFAIK, it should not happen with SIM-free unlocked iPhones bought directly from Apple.
    see this thread - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-that-was-BYOP

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 (unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score

They’ll financially lock it (FED). This means it can’t be used on Sprint MVNOs. Happened to my unlocked 7 and now to the warranty replacement unlocked 7. I don’t have service with them anymore and I’m having them work on removing the financial hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by prof68 View Post
    They’ll financially lock it (FED). This means it can’t be used on Sprint MVNOs. Happened to my unlocked 7 and now to the warranty replacement unlocked 7. I don’t have service with them anymore and I’m having them work on removing the financial hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok so my phone didn’t get locked but it did have this happen which is a bunch of BS. Have you been working with them a long time? The rep I spoke to said they can remove that after 50 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 (unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Ok so my phone didn’t get locked but it did have this happen which is a bunch of BS. Have you been working with them a long time? The rep I spoke to said they can remove that after 50 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I've been working with them for over a week. No progress yet.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    According to https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comm...e_50_day_lock/

to be sure it is not locked temporarily by Sprint, order it from Apple as the sim-free model with no sim and not as a Sprint model with a Sprint sim.

Just saying "factory unlocked and direct from Apple" may not tell the whole story. It may need to be the sim-free model with no sim, according to posters there.

(but if it is the Sprint model they will unlock it anyway after 50 days).

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    According to https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comm...e_50_day_lock/

to be sure it is not locked temporarily by Sprint, order it from Apple as the sim-free model with no sim and not as a Sprint model with a Sprint sim.

Just saying "factory unlocked and direct from Apple" may not tell the whole story. It may need to be the sim-free model with no sim, according to posters there.

(but if it is the Sprint model they will unlock it anyway after 50 days).
    That's a ludicrous policy. What does someone gain by buying the carrier version from Apple anyway? A free sim card? I can see from the carrier or a store to get a better price but other than that it seems to make no sense.

I have read where using an unlocked phone on a Sprint MVNO can end up with the phone being locked to the MVNO also. Purely hearsay/memory as I cannot provide a link.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast