Thread: Possible To Use FreedomPop Prepaid Annual Plan In FP Unite Hotspot?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score

Possible To Use FreedomPop Prepaid Annual Plan In FP Unite Hotspot?

I think this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find a definite answer.

We know it's possible to use the FP 1GB/mo prepaid annual plan, such as the one sold at https://www.ebay.com/itm/192530921373, in a cell phone or tablet for data only.

But is it possible to use that FP SIM a in a currently unused FP Unite Hotspot?

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    If you can modify the apn to freedompop setting on the mifi, I don't see why it would not work. I don't think freedom pop can distinguish what device their sim is in.

I think freedompop still sells the Novatel mifi 2

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    If you can modify the apn to freedompop setting on the mifi, I don't see why it would not work. I don't think freedom pop can distinguish what device their sim is in.

I think freedompop still sells the Novatel mifi 2

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app
    This particular Unite Hotspot originally came from and was used with FP service but the original service was cancelled when the free trial ran out, so hopefully the APN is still set.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I can verify that it IS possible to use a FP 1GB/mo prepaid annual plan SIM in a FP Unite Hotspot.

I simply went through the plan activation process at freedompop.com/activate, removed the original SIM from the Unite, added the newly activated SIM card, and within seconds the LTE connection was active.

Also, as an aside, the FP 1GB/mo prepaid annual plan I just activated was purchased 8/8/18, and there were zero issues activating it.

Finally, just to add another data point, there is still no requirement for a CC or any payment method to be added to activate a FP 1GB/mo prepaid annual plan.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Does anybody happen to know how to set the FP Unite hotspot data cycle date?

I've done my best to look through the settings on the Unite, but can't seem to see anything about setting the data cycle date.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Does anybody happen to know how to set the FP Unite hotspot data cycle date? I've done my best to look through the settings on the Unite, but can't seem to see anything about setting the data cycle date.
    here - https://www.cranialborborygmus.com/f...or-dummies.htm look under set cellular data limit.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    here - https://www.cranialborborygmus.com/f...or-dummies.htm look under set cellular data limit.
    Can you explain what that has to do with my question about the FP Unite hotspot data cycle date? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Can you explain what that has to do with my question about the FP Unite hotspot data cycle date? Thanks.
    doesn't that let you set your data cycle date for your hotspot ??

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Not that I can see. Can you copy and paste what you're seeing?

Feedback Score
    Not that I can see. Can you copy and paste what you're seeing?
    this - First, you can set a cellular data limit on your phone. Note: This is a feature available on Android phones only. If you have an iPhone, there may be apps which will do this. On an Android phone, go to Settings > Data Usage... and turn on "Set mobile data limit". Change the monthly cycle (start and stop days) to match your FreedomPop billing cycle, which you can find on your FreedomPop account under "data usage". After you've set the correct cycle, you can then pull up or down the warning level and limit level to adjust them. Set your data limit to be less than the point where the Automatic Top Up would charge you $15, or, if you've disabled Automatic Top Up (see below), set your phone's data limit little a little below your FreedomPop data limit to account for any data reporting delays and/or small discrepancies between your phone and the FreedomPop system.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    this - First, you can set a cellular data limit on your phone. Note: This is a feature available on Android phones only. If you have an iPhone, there may be apps which will do this. On an Android phone, go to Settings > Data Usage... and turn on "Set mobile data limit". Change the monthly cycle (start and stop days) to match your FreedomPop billing cycle, which you can find on your FreedomPop account under "data usage". After you've set the correct cycle, you can then pull up or down the warning level and limit level to adjust them. Set your data limit to be less than the point where the Automatic Top Up would charge you $15, or, if you've disabled Automatic Top Up (see below), set your phone's data limit little a little below your FreedomPop data limit to account for any data reporting delays and/or small discrepancies between your phone and the FreedomPop system.
    That's not relevant to a FP Unite hotspot, as far as I can see.

Feedback Score
    I have an AT&T-branded Unite hotspot that I used to use on FreedomPop, but it doesn't have a SIM now. I've looked at it, but some things may not work the same without an active SIM.

From the home screen, tap on the data usage bar, and you'll see a calendar icon for billing cycle. On mine, it does not bring up an option for changing the cycle.

I think the billing cycle, and associated data usage counter, may be intended to be set only from the provider side. I see this as a FAQ item on the 770S
    "The Mobile Hotspot will query the (billing) server approximately every 6 hours. There is no user interface to reset the data counter."
    (I know you're asking about billing cycle, not data counter; but I think the 2 are part of the same system.)

I also spotted several inquiries about incorrect billing cycle displays, which seemed to indicate that there is no user method to set it- it's set from the server side, and FreedomPop doesn't do this.

I think this is a common problem with Sierra/Netgear hotspots in specific, and MiFi units in general. I know some have a way to at least zero the data usage in the browser interface, to give a manual method for tracking monthly allotment, but I don't see this in the browser interface for the Unite.

For the stock AT&T version, browser access is Unite Manager homepage (http://attunite). Log in
    as Administrator to make changes. (default Admin Login is attadmin) A FreedomPop version may be different.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for checking and verifying what I found, greenhandle. I guess there's no way to fix the issue.