Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Considering leaving TracFone

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dk4 View Post
    However, the process to get my service transferred was a nightmare. Also, I don't know if it was a system glitch but they somehow lost my balance during the transfer. I'm able to see when my service ends but I don't know how many minutes/texts/MB of data I have left.
    If you've been in this forum long enough, you know that we recommend using Chat to do a cross-carrier transfer. The first thing in the Chat is to ask the rep for your current balances and service end date, for that info to be in the chat transcript for record.

The balance info is kept in TF system and in the carrier's system. When you transfer cross-carrier, not only the phone number has to be ported over, but the balance info has to be pushed out from TF system to the new carrier's system. This is where a glitch/delay usually happens, either it takes a while for your balance to show up, or your balance gets lost altogether. That's when the balance info in the transcript is valuable in proving to TF what you had before the transfer.

Also, the porting process requires human intervention. Someone in TF Porting Dept has to release the number to the new carrier. That's why we recommend NOT to do a cross-carrier transfer during a weekend or holiday, when staffing is low, and the porting process can take several hours instead of less than one hour during a weekday.

Feedback Score
    I will remember all this for the future. Trouble is, I work 9-5 Mon-Fri.

It seems this wi-fi calling isn't all it's cracked up to be. My girlfriend came over this afternoon and said she tried to call me 3 times before she came over. She said it went straight to voicemail each time. She also sent me a text before she left that she was coming over but I didn't get it until she got to my house.

And I still can't get a balance. I should've asked for it in the chat before I did anything else.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I will remember all this for the future. Trouble is, I work 9-5 Mon-Fri.

And I still can't get a balance. I should've asked for it in the chat before I did anything else.
    I don't know how late in the day their Port Dept is staffed, but I think Chat is available until 11PM Eastern Time.

Can you get your balance using Fastact Portal: https://www.fastactportal.com/static/balance ?

Feedback Score
    I'm sorry about all this trouble.

Plenty of us have been there.

You can still go through the BBB in writing. You get the higher-level CS. I know it's a pain.

Let us know what happens.

I don't know if they still offer help on Facebook. I don't do Facebook, but I signed up once to contact Tracfone. Gave me the creeps.

Also, there are higher-up people at Tracfone who can be contacted directly by email. If anyone has some current contact info, it can be sent to you by PM.

Feedback Score
    I'll post back and let you know how T-Mo service compares to AT&T. From what I've seen, it's fine if you're outside or on the first floor of the building you're in. But I don't have good service in the basement of my house anymore. Wi-fi calling makes up for that, so I'm glad that feature works.
    Do you have an indication the call is using WiFi instead of the cell network? On my phone, it shows when you pull down the notification bar. I wish it would show as an icon in the status bar. Yes, you are going to have to test reception in more places with the change to T-Mobile. A signal app is useful. These days I am mostly using Network Cell Info Lite.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, there's a notification that calls will be made over wi-fi when I pull down the notification shade. I used to have Signal Check Lite installed, I'll give that a go and see how my signal is.

I tried checking my balance at fastactportal. When I did, I got a text from 611611 stating "Sorry, we couldn't process your request at this time". Which has also been happening when I try to check from the My Account page and from the TF app.

I can see in the background of fastactportal that it says I have over 9900 minutes and texts left. But there is a message in the foreground saying "Just a moment" with a wheel spinning around. There's nothing listed for data or service end date. The My Account page says my last day of service is October 3rd. My calls/texts/cellular data still seem to work fine...I had my girlfriend try to call me again and it went thru normally.

Feedback Score
    Imo hardly any Hofo members that are on TF or any other of their flavors should be on TF.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=zapjb;17096204]Imo hardly any Hofo members that are on TF or any other of their flavors should be on TF.[/QUOTE

Why do have this opinion?

Tracfone is unique with their rollover service units, & most users find it economical, fitting the need - but no, not perfect by any means.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Tracfone isn't perfect but it beats paying out the nose for my low usage. I use Verizon towers for less than $7/month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Imo hardly any Hofo members that are on TF or any other of their flavors should be on TF.
    Why do you post here if disliking TF Wireless service so much?
    One good reason to come to this forum has little to do with Tracfone, but there is lots of traffic for general issues as well. Lots about phones, carriers, etc. Many of the other HoFo forums are very low attendance.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Why do have this opinion?
    Because zapjb is a troll, posting nonsense just to stir things up. He does the same thing on SlickDeals.net, gets a lot thumbdowns on his stupid posts.

Feedback Score
    My, my, my didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. Which is obvious from reading what I wrote.

Feedback Score
    Wow, there's been lots of activity on this thread since I last checked in...

ANYWAY, I downloaded Signal Check Lite and checked signal strength since switching to T-Mo. Coverage while outside appears to be equal to (or better than) AT&T. Indoors, it's a little worse (1 or 2 fewer bars than when on AT&T). In the basement of my house, now I get only 1 bar. In some spots I get no bars, and in some spots I only get 3G data. Which doesn't matter too much since I'm on wi-fi when at home.

I took some screenshots from the app; I had to research what these numbers mean. Best signal I got was outside...RSRP -95 dBm; RSRQ -8 dB; SNR 14.4 dB. This was on Band 2 (1900)

Indoor readings: RSRP -108 dBm; RSRQ -15 dB; SNR 5.8 dB on Band 4 (AWS)

Basement readings: RSRP -121 dBm; RSRQ -13 dB, SNR 1.0 dB on Band 12 (700)

From what I read, excellent LTE signal will have an RSRP of -84 dBm or higher, SNR will be higher than 12.5 dB, and RSRQ will be greater than -5 dB

And still can't get a balance when texting "balance" to 611611. Still getting told "Sorry, we can't process your request at this time". I was on the unlimited plan before I switched, that plan ends 9/28. Service days end 10/3. After this Saturday maybe the balance will update. Data/talk/text still work fine so that's the main thing.

Feedback Score
    I took some screenshots from the app; I had to research what these numbers mean. Best signal I got was outside...RSRP -95 dBm; RSRQ -8 dB; SNR 14.4 dB. This was on Band 2 (1900)

Indoor readings: RSRP -108 dBm; RSRQ -15 dB; SNR 5.8 dB on Band 4 (AWS)

Basement readings: RSRP -121 dBm; RSRQ -13 dB, SNR 1.0 dB on Band 12 (700)

From what I read, excellent LTE signal will have an RSRP of -84 dBm or higher, SNR will be higher than 12.5 dB, and RSRQ will be greater than -5 dB
    Are you sure what you read was for LTE and not 3G ? LTE signals are more negative and still good. Different spec then old 3G parameters. Allot published on the net even claiming to be for LTE are the old 3G parameters.
    I use Network Cell Info Lite on my LTE phones and a 3G I have. Its' indications are:
    4 bars LTE= -98 dBm or higher (less negative) , 3G= -75 dBm or higher
    3 bars LTE -108, 3G -85
    2 bars LTE -118, 3G -95
    1 bar LTE -128, 3G -99
    My outside and inside are about the same as yours give or take on my LTE. Band 2, 4, 13. Even when I hit -110 still call and data usable.
    I don't know the other spec stuff, and I'm sure other things play into it. I just go by dBm. But comparing 3G and LTE dBM is apples and oranges from my reading and experiences.

Great you're up and working. Good luck with the balance.

Feedback Score
    And still can't get a balance when texting "balance" to 611611. Still getting told "Sorry, we can't process your request at this time". I was on the unlimited plan before I switched, that plan ends 9/28. Service days end 10/3. After this Saturday maybe the balance will update. Data/talk/text still work fine so that's the main thing.
    Did 611611 work for balance before the carrier change? Would think on unlimited it only can show data balance. When unlimited rolls off the archived PayGo balances should return, and can be read by other methods.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast