Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Italy Travel

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    With T-Mobile esim you scan a QR code to load the network preferences. It's probably the same procedure.
    Basic questions here... I purchased the US esim data from Airalo but can’t sort out how to load it.

Have their app on my Android 10 but how to scan in the QR code or the manual loading?

Also, I want to send them a screenshot but don’t see how to attach one to their support page.

Where might I find Airalo tech support email? Thx

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tricon23 View Post
    All headed to Italy next month and have the T-Mobile ONE Unlimited 55+ plan (2 phones and Sync Drive). I see that the speeds will be 2G and will be looking for WIFI whenever possible. My wife is ordering an I-phone 11 for the trip (she has had an 16GB SE for years and showing it's age) to have the latest bands etc. What should I expect reasonably for service and is a plan change or data pack in order?

Thanks in advance!
    We were in Europe this past summer. Calls and SMS worked fine on T-Mobile and coverage was fine. Data worked but it was too slow for using Google Maps or other navigation apps and too slow for calling using Whatsapp or Google Voice. We used public transit a lot and the apps for public transit that tell you when the next bus or train is arriving work well only with a fast data connection.

We ended up buying prepaid SIM cards which are cheap, about €12 for 20-100GB of data depending on where you buy it (don’t buy it at the airport or at a carrier’s store). They work all over the EU. Or just pay for high speed data on T-Mobile for $50 for 15GB.

If you’re on an organized tour then you can probably get by with T-Mobile’s free international roaming for low speed data.

As someone else mentioned, beware of pickpockets especially in tourist areas, The pickpocket are very good. Buy backpacks and shoulder bags with slashproof straps and fabric, and anti-theft zippers, from PacSafe or Travelon. Buy travel pants with pockets that are difficult to open. Keep your passports in a safe if the hotel room has safes. Make sure that no one can grab your phone out of your hand and run. My husband was so paranoid that we brought second wallets with old expired and inactive credit cards and play money.

One other thing to be aware of is that Apple Pay and Google Pay are accepted almost everywhere if you have a Visa card loaded so don't get stuck with too many Euros.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    I'm not suggesting it wouldn't be easy or cheap to implement. I'm suggesting that it simply won't happen on a large scale, because wireless carriers don't want it to happen, and they're still there major consumer of cell phones, not the actual end users.

Sure, some of us might buy our phones direct, or from an Apple store, but the vast majority of us still buy from our carriers, on a payment plan. AT&T, Verizon, et al, will apply considerable pressure on phone vendors (including Apple) to keep phones as carrier-friendly as possible. (And before you claim Apple isn't beholden to carriers, think again- one can point to a variety of iPhone "features" going back to the original 2G iPhone that were designed solely for carriers' benefit, starting with download restrictions that required large app and media downloads to be done over WiFi, to curb excessive data usage on "unlimited" plans.)

Trust me- you don't have to sell me on the benefits of dual-SIM or eSIMs. I'm happy you got religion because Apple finally joined the dual-SIM world, but dual-SIM has been around just about forever and most people just don't care, because at the end of the day, it's a niche feature that very few folks need. (Particularly here on the T-Mo forum, because T-Mo offers the best international roaming rates of any US carrier!)

Even with the added convenience, I doubt most people really want to pay a second provider for a "missing" feature from their primary carrier (like international roaming, or coverage in an area their primary provider doesn't cover) when the far easier solution is to try and find one provider that does everything the consumer needs, even if the dual-SIM solution is a little bit cheaper. (Particularly the typical iPhone customer, who's already proven willing to pay more for "it just works" convenience! They're the most likely as a group to just use AT&T or Verizon and buy whatever overpriced international pass their carrier offers, rather than try to leverage a cheap US MVNO and couple it with a series of foreign eSIM services to cover overseas travel!)

Even when it ends up a pure software solution making the inclusion of multiple eSIMs "free", I doubt you'll see widespread adoption by consumers. Heck, most people can't even be bothered to use foreign SIMs when traveling now, preferring to roam for convenience, nor do I envision a bunch of AT&T or T-Mo prepaid customers chafing at the bit to add a second temporary service to cover them when they cross Nebraska or Wyoming.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    I would have liked a dual SIM phone on my recent trip to Europe. We bought prepaid SIM cards because the included data roaming on T-Mobile was so slow and because the high-speed international data on T-Mobile was a lot more expensive than a prepaid SIM card. Plus once you have high speed data you don't have to pay 25 cents a minute for voice calls you can use Google Voice for calls back to the U.S. and you can call any EU country with the unlimited talk and text that most prepaid SIM cards offer. With the T-Mobile SIM out of the phone we could could not receive calls or texts to our T-Mobile number. But you are right, it's the U.S. carriers that don't want to offer the dual SIM models for sale. You can buy dual-SIM models online but they often don't have the proper LTE bands for the U.S., especially for T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    I would have liked a dual SIM phone on my recent trip to Europe. We bought prepaid SIM cards because the included data roaming on T-Mobile was so slow and because the high-speed international data on T-Mobile was a lot more expensive than a prepaid SIM card. Plus once you have high speed data you don't have to pay 25 cents a minute for voice calls you can use Google Voice for calls back to the U.S. and you can call any EU country with the unlimited talk and text that most prepaid SIM cards offer. With the T-Mobile SIM out of the phone we could could not receive calls or texts to our T-Mobile number. But you are right, it's the U.S. carriers that don't want to offer the dual SIM models for sale. You can buy dual-SIM models online but they often don't have the proper LTE bands for the U.S., especially for T-Mobile.
    I really appreciated the T-Mo Digits app when we travelled to Europe this summer. That allowed me to take T-Mo calls and texts when using a local prepaid SIM, without my T-Mo SIM installed.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
    Basic questions here... I purchased the US esim data from Airalo but can’t sort out how to load it.

Have their app on my Android 10 but how to scan in the QR code or the manual loading?

Also, I want to send them a screenshot but don’t see how to attach one to their support page.

Where might I find Airalo tech support email? Thx
    I can only speak for iOS but in their Cellular settings there is an option to "Add Cellular Plan" and you can either scan the QR code or add the manual setting. I emailed a QR screen capture to myself then scanned that with my phone from my desktop. I actually have two accounts on 2 different emails, having double dipped for all the free promo codes I found on the web. I got around $30 total in credits, and have been running tests for over a week.

They have a "Contact Us" tab at the bottom of the iOS Airalo App and I would imagine you might be able to copy & paste your image into a message there.

Also there is Canadian website called redflagdeals.com with a 35+ page thread about Airalo that is finally winding down.

Their tech support is great, I did a quick back & forth today about getting my Hotspot working on my iPad Pro.
    Last edited by daleraver; 10-27-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    I really appreciated the T-Mo Digits app when we travelled to Europe this summer. That allowed me to take T-Mo calls and texts when using a local prepaid SIM, without my T-Mo SIM installed.
    I had never heard of the Digits app until your post. That would be extremely useful and a real money-saver when traveling. Prepaid SIMs are very inexpensive in Europe. What we found odd was that if you went into a store operated by a carrier the cost was very high and they would not honor the prices on their web site. But the little convenience stores sold prepaid SIMs from virtual operators for very low prices. I saw one store with a sign advertising 100GB for around 12 Euros. I wouldn't mind just paying the 50 dollars for T-Mobile fast data but you still have to pay 25 cents per minute for calls which is ridiculously high.

Feedback Score
    Does TMobile offer eSIM for iOS?

Would I be able to change from my current TMob account to eSIM if I bought a new iPhone?

Or will TMobile try to stick in an eSIM charge or some activation charge ********?

Feedback Score
    They do have esim for both post & prepaid accounts. You can set it up over twitter or chat from the T-Mobile App. There should be no charge if you do not go into a store for assistance in the setup. I've had it since December of last year and it works the same as a sim card does.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
    Does TMobile offer eSIM for iOS?

Would I be able to change from my current TMob account to eSIM if I bought a new iPhone?

Or will TMobile try to stick in an eSIM charge or some activation charge ********?
    Have you tried out an esim? I got one to add an additional carrier to my Google Pixel 3. ATT works fine now for me along with Google Fi.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    I had never heard of the Digits app until your post. That would be extremely useful and a real money-saver when traveling. Prepaid SIMs are very inexpensive in Europe. What we found odd was that if you went into a store operated by a carrier the cost was very high and they would not honor the prices on their web site. But the little convenience stores sold prepaid SIMs from virtual operators for very low prices. I saw one store with a sign advertising 100GB for around 12 Euros. I wouldn't mind just paying the 50 dollars for T-Mobile fast data but you still have to pay 25 cents per minute for calls which is ridiculously high.
    If you purchase the $50, 15Gb, 30 day plan all voice calling is included with the fee. No additional charges either to US or European numbers. Old news, but I just saw that comment.

Feedback Score
    That was valuable information for the tourists who are traveling to Italy. Keep sharing more such information here which will be helpful for travelers like me.

Feedback Score
    All you have to do is ask and someone here will probably have the right answer. I travel overseas occasionally and have tried a variety of services. It's one of the reasons I eventually ended up on T-Mobile as my primary carrier. Currently I think both Airalo and Stork will be my additional services for data in the next few months. Airalo just came out with a "World" data plan for $40=20Gb-90 days that looks like it has potential. I think it covers about 50 countries, many of which are European and Asian tourist destinations. I've got 3 trips to Europe planned next year so far, and will be trying them all out if possible.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4