Thread: Reasons to stay with AT&T Postpaid for a single line?

Feedback Score

Reasons to stay with AT&T Postpaid for a single line?

I'm looking if there is any reason to stay with AT&T postpaid instead of moving to Cricket for an individual with a single line.

He's currently paying between $40 and $50 for his cellphone plan with AT&T - I think it may be an older plan with a set number of minutes, but he never goes over that amount anyway. That $40-50 includes all of the taxes and fees that he pays.

He doesn't use any data - he just has a basic feature phone (which actually is broke and does not work right now). He doesn't text. He just uses it to talk, that's it.

I told him he could get on Cricket's $25/mo plan and save some money.

Is there any reason to stay on AT&T postpaid instead of switching to Cricket?

The other thing is... he doesn't do the Internet. He has no computer, he's never had a computer, never used one. How would he pay his Cricket bill if he were to switch?

There is a Cricket store in town, can he go there to pay his bill?

Does Cricket sell prepaid card - like AT&T prepaid does - at Wal-Mart? I've really never looked - I pay my Cricket bill online, so it's never been a concern for me - but I seem to recall seeing refill cards at Wal-Mart but I might be imagining things.

I realize there may be other MVNOs that might even be cheaper - but I think it would be helpful for this person to at least have a brick and mortar store he can go to if he has problems or questions.

Feedback Score
    Refill cards are available at many stores. Would he be comfortable with having it automatically paid from a credit or debit card? With no data usage, I can't think of any reason not to switch. I suspect he could get an even better deal for voice only service, bit I haven't researched that in a while.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I'll check at the local Wal-Mart and make sure they have refill cards. I thought they had them but I thought I might've been thinking of something else. I know Target has them online (in fact I see that Wal-Mart has them online) but they are email delivery and this person doesn't have email. But if he can physically go buy a card and put it in, that might work.

I assume you can just call a number and input the refill card pin to refill your account? I'm assuming there's some instructions on the back of the refill card. When I used AT&T prepaid years ago, I know this was the case. I'll look at it some time.

I know AirVoice has an unlimited talk plan for $20/mo - which would be even cheaper. But unless the local Wal-Mart sells AirVoice refill cards - I don't know if that would be an option. Besides it's only $5 difference.

The issue I always had with AT&T and all of the postpaid carriers was the deception with the price. I know there are taxes and fees that they have to pay, but it's just frustrating when you call them or go to their store and they flat out state - "You can get this service for $25 a month" and then when you get your bill it has this fee, that fee, this tax and that tax making your $25 bill $36.73 or something. The flat rate of prepaid always made this clearer to me.

Feedback Score
    I'd go with H2o myself but Cricket or At&t Prepaid are probably the easiest for you guys. If Sprint's native coverage works good in the areas you frequent Tello would only run you $8.00 per month for Ut&t. My Rents are older and no longer travel so Tello works fantastic for them. So many to choose from these days!!! You're also gonna have to worry about phones when you leave postpaid but it's well worth it. There's always great phone deals out there.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    If you want to really save more money try hellomobile.com $5 a month for 500min/month.

https://hellomobile.com/shop/plans

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vietalogy View Post
    If you want to really save more money try hellomobile.com $5 a month for 500min/month.

https://hellomobile.com/shop/plans
    What network is Hello running on? I checked out their website but didn't see anything mentioned.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesfinley View Post
    I'm looking if there is any reason to stay with AT&T postpaid instead of moving to Cricket for an individual with a single line.

He's currently paying between $40 and $50 for his cellphone plan with AT&T - I think it may be an older plan with a set number of minutes, but he never goes over that amount anyway. That $40-50 includes all of the taxes and fees that he pays.

He doesn't use any data - he just has a basic feature phone (which actually is broke and does not work right now). He doesn't text. He just uses it to talk, that's it.

I told him he could get on Cricket's $25/mo plan and save some money.

Is there any reason to stay on AT&T postpaid instead of switching to Cricket?

The other thing is... he doesn't do the Internet. He has no computer, he's never had a computer, never used one. How would he pay his Cricket bill if he were to switch?

There is a Cricket store in town, can he go there to pay his bill?

Does Cricket sell prepaid card - like AT&T prepaid does - at Wal-Mart? I've really never looked - I pay my Cricket bill online, so it's never been a concern for me - but I seem to recall seeing refill cards at Wal-Mart but I might be imagining things.

I realize there may be other MVNOs that might even be cheaper - but I think it would be helpful for this person to at least have a brick and mortar store he can go to if he has problems or questions.
    Xfinity or Spectrum customer by chance? If so, you can get plans starting at just $12/mo with Xfinity and $14/mo with Spectrum.

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/

https://www.spectrum.com/mobile.html

Both use the Verizon network. I've been using Xfinity Mobile and can't recommend it enough. It's one of the best deals for phone service out there at the moment.