Thread: iOS 13 bugs... What is the beta testing for then???

Feedback Score

iOS 13 bugs... What is the beta testing for then???

Unfortunately I let the auto update do itís thing for IOS 13 yesterday (please no chastising, Iím not a phone guru and Iíve always been told to perform updates for security).
    I rely on my phone for email mostly. This update is beyond buggy - itís total garbage. I look at the phone and see no mail badges but I have dozens of emails when I open the mail app. When I open the phone and enter numbers, itís 2-3 seconds before it starts showing the numbers Iím dialing then it misses a few digits in between.
    I donít want a lecture about the fact I updated, yes, now that I search about issues, I see people saying not to. But... What is all this talk about beta testing a new IOS for MONTHS prior to release? Do these testers not use email or the phone? I find that to be a basic function of a cell phone. Whatís the purpose of releasing IOS 13 and announcing immediately that the fix will be released next week? Months of testing didnít show any issues and within hours of release you have fixes?
    Iíve always been an Apple person even though I donít have anything beyond the iPhone but this is crazy.
    Android is looking better at every update......

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 (unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    It sucks that youíre having issues but I updated my 7 and I donít have any of the issues your are having. Iím using my phone as I normally do and have discovered no bugs as of yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    Apparently there is a 13.1 update coming on the 24th. Supposedly fixes many bugs. I guess the pressure was on to have iOS 13 ready for the new hardware.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Data point: Iíve been running 13.0 via the GM for about 1-1/2 weeks. It has been fine for me.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score

Dpcarls1598,

What iPhone do you have?
    Just curious as I delayed updating on my iPhone SE.

Feedback Score
    I have an iPhone Xr and have been running the Beta since it was released to the general public almost a month ago. I've updated to 13.1 and have had no issues with any version.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLC View Post

Dpcarls1598,

What iPhone do you have?
    Just curious as I delayed updating on my iPhone SE.
    XR 128g

This has been a total disaster for me. I'm switching to Android later today when Best Buy opens. I can't believe that months of testing and releasing this disaster will be fixed in 13.1 being released one week later.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I have an iPhone Xr and have been running the Beta since it was released to the general public almost a month ago. I've updated to 13.1 and have had no issues with any version.
    You are one of the few. We have about 60 staff in our office and about 20 updated last week. All 20 are having issues from bluetooth not connecting to some speakers/vehicles, no service until reboot, no email badges, etc. Very frustrating. I find it hard to believe that all that beta testing released this to what FOX news quotes as "Millions of users" having issues. I called our local Apple store Saturday around noon and they had no appointments available into the 'near future' and advised to call back after Tuesday's release to schedule.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prof68 View Post
    It sucks that youíre having issues but I updated my 7 and I donít have any of the issues your are having. Iím using my phone as I normally do and have discovered no bugs as of yet.

Yeah I agree here! In fact I couldnít wait to get out of iOS 12.1.4. I thought that software version was very buggy, but 13 seems to be pretty smooth as far as I can see. No issues yet.
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ∑T∑∑∑Mobile∑ USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpcarls1598 View Post
    XR 128g

This has been a total disaster for me. I'm switching to Android later today when Best Buy opens. I can't believe that months of testing and releasing this disaster will be fixed in 13.1 being released one week later.
    Every major OS release (even on my Pixel) is buggy AF until a supplemental update is put out.

Just wait for 13.1 tomorrow, and you'll be fine. AND, on iOS it's been a kind of known thing to just wait for the x.1 release a few weeks later for them to get some bugs worked out.

I'm on 13.1 beta right now, and I've had almost no issues on my XS Max, the issues i've had were very small things like the signal and WiFi indicators staying landscape when I exit a game... nothing else.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Nothing major on my Xs or new 11 Pro. Been running iOS 13 since the GM was released and available to install. I do not use Appleís mail client, I use Edison Mail.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    AT&T: 2008, 2012-2014, 2016-Present
    T-Mobile: 2011-2012, 2015, 2017-2019
    Verizon: 2010 via Straight Talk for 2 months, 2018
    Sprint: Couldn't pay me to use them

Feedback Score

iOS 13 bugs... What is the beta testing for then???

Apple has to rely on users reporting the bugs via a feedback form in a feedback app. Also the users that beta test are more geeky and may not represent a cross-section of the population.

Hiring professional testers is expensive and then there are still some bugs after extensive testing. Today software companies are more likely to rely on users testing since it is hard to get perfect code anyway and users work for free.

Even NASA gets a couple bugs in their spaceship software. Someday testing will be all automated with computers checking the code. There is a lot of this today already but we might need AI to identify bug prone patterns.

I personally wish Apple (and Microsoft) would return to the old school in-house testing.