Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Get Out of the Red and future upgrades

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Posts
    3,734
    Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    Get Out of the Red and future upgrades

    My wife and I are currently on Verizon and thinking of switching to T-Mobile and taking advantage of the Get Out of the Red program. I'm using a Pixel 2 XL, and she has an iPhone X, neither of which has band 71. We're in Tuscaloosa, AL, and, although I read an old thread here that said that band is active here, it also said that the sites are broadcasting at very low power because of some TV stations that have yet to move, essentially making the band a non-issue around here at the moment.

    So my first question, for anyone who might know, is whether or not this is still the case.

    But my main question is whether taking the money to switch will limit our upgrade options. My thought is that, if getting a band 71-capable phone won't help us right now, we might as well wait until next year, when 5G phones likely hit the mainstream. That will give T-Mobile time to launch band 71 here, either with LTE or 5G, and it'd also allow 5G phones to mature a little bit. Would using Get Out of the Red limit what I want to do?

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using HoFo mobile app
    The 411 on Free 411
    Hanging Up on Telemarketers
    Need to waste some valuable time? Read my blog![/COLOR] Marion's Time Waster


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,429
    Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCingularUser View Post
    My wife and I are currently on Verizon and thinking of switching to T-Mobile and taking advantage of the Get Out of the Red program. I'm using a Pixel 2 XL, and she has an iPhone X, neither of which has band 71. We're in Tuscaloosa, AL, and, although I read an old thread here that said that band is active here, it also said that the sites are broadcasting at very low power because of some TV stations that have yet to move, essentially making the band a non-issue around here at the moment.

    So my first question, for anyone who might know, is whether or not this is still the case.

    But my main question is whether taking the money to switch will limit our upgrade options. My thought is that, if getting a band 71-capable phone won't help us right now, we might as well wait until next year, when 5G phones likely hit the mainstream. That will give T-Mobile time to launch band 71 here, either with LTE or 5G, and it'd also allow 5G phones to mature a little bit. Would using Get Out of the Red limit what I want to do?

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using HoFo mobile app
    Well sir I highly suggest that you get a band 71 capable phone. The current generation of pixel phones and iPhones that T-Mobile sells support band 71. I want you to worry about 5G coverage for quite a long time. I would worry about LTE coverage and band 71 compatible phones. So get a phone that can do bands 71. Coverage is more important than speed and at the moment 5G is still in its infancy stages when it comes to coverage. So I would worry more about your actual coverage than 5G at the moment.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Posts
    3,734
    Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dandn1321 View Post
    Well sir I highly suggest that you get a band 71 capable phone. The current generation of pixel phones and iPhones that T-Mobile sells support band 71. I want you to worry about 5G coverage for quite a long time. I would worry about LTE coverage and band 71 compatible phones. So get a phone that can do bands 71. Coverage is more important than speed and at the moment 5G is still in its infancy stages when it comes to coverage. So I would worry more about your actual coverage than 5G at the moment.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    It isn't that I'm mainly thinking about 5G; it's more that I don't see band 71 being used here right now, so I'd like to defer my upgrade for a bit. I should mention that I have one of the CoolPad Surf test drive hotspots, which includes band 71, and I don't see any difference in coverage here between it and my mother-in-law's phone, which doesn't have it.

    So I'd kind of like to switch now, take the Get Out of the Red money while that promo is going on, and upgrade the phones later. Would doing this promo delay when I can upgrade?

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using HoFo mobile app

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,429
    Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCingularUser View Post
    It isn't that I'm mainly thinking about 5G; it's more that I don't see band 71 being used here right now, so I'd like to defer my upgrade for a bit. I should mention that I have one of the CoolPad Surf test drive hotspots, which includes band 71, and I don't see any difference in coverage here between it and my mother-in-law's phone, which doesn't have it.

    So I'd kind of like to switch now, take the Get Out of the Red money while that promo is going on, and upgrade the phones later. Would doing this promo delay when I can upgrade?

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using HoFo mobile app
    that I can't answer for you accurately but what I can say is usually when you take advantage of of a promo you have to upgrade right there in then. So if you don't upgrade you can't take advantage of the promo .

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Posts
    3,734
    Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dandn1321 View Post
    that I can't answer for you accurately but what I can say is usually when you take advantage of of a promo you have to upgrade right there in then. So if you don't upgrade you can't take advantage of the promo .

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    If I'm reading their terms correctly, the current version of the promo allows you to keep your phones. Basically, you bring in your phones, they check to make sure they work, they look at your Verizon account to see how much you owe on them, and they issue you a virtual debit card in that amount 15 days after you sign up. I called the local corp store, and the rep said the promo is still active, and then she asked what phones we have. When I told her, she said those were fine to use, so it sounds like you keep them. I'm just wondering if, by doing this, you're preventer from getting upgrades for a while. Of course, we could buy directly from Google and Apple, so that'd be a way around any restriction T-Mobile may have.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using HoFo mobile app

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,429
    Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCingularUser View Post
    If I'm reading their terms correctly, the current version of the promo allows you to keep your phones. Basically, you bring in your phones, they check to make sure they work, they look at your Verizon account to see how much you owe on them, and they issue you a virtual debit card in that amount 15 days after you sign up. I called the local corp store, and the rep said the promo is still active, and then she asked what phones we have. When I told her, she said those were fine to use, so it sounds like you keep them. I'm just wondering if, by doing this, you're preventer from getting upgrades for a while. Of course, we could buy directly from Google and Apple, so that'd be a way around any restriction T-Mobile may have.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using HoFo mobile app
    Yeah that sounds about right. So I would just keep the current phones that you have.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,461
    Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    In Alabama, Band 71 won't make a difference in coverage because we already have Band 12 deployed.

    T-Mobile is decent in Tuscaloosa, but just know that it gets extremely congested during peak times near or on the UA campus, and is almost unusable game days.

    Unlike Verizon, they don't have small cells at UA so afternoons speeds are usually 1-5Mbps at best.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using HoFo mobile app

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,429
    Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    In Alabama, Band 71 won't make a difference in coverage because we already have Band 12 deployed.

    T-Mobile is decent in Tuscaloosa, but just know that it gets extremely congested during peak times near or on the UA campus, and is almost unusable game days.

    Unlike Verizon, they don't have small cells at UA so afternoons speeds are usually 1-5Mbps at best.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using HoFo mobile app
    I actually have stopped caring about band 71.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    187
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Sooner or later band 71 is coming. I’d get new phones on Verizon and then have T-Mobile pay for them. Only thing is you have to be on a payment plan with Verizon for at least 90 days.

    Once T-Mobile adds the iPhone 11 pro and the iPhone 11 I’m setting up a brand new account on Verizon. 60 days for the phones to unlock, 90 for the payments. No more then 4 months on Verizon. Getting the iPhone 11 pro for ~$400 out of pocket and the iPhone 11 for ~$0. Once I get the $650 per line I’ll replace my iPhone 8 Plus and a iPhone 6s that I’m using on att prepaid.
    Personal Highest on LTE - US RT 1 and MD-152

    Home internet - Verizon Fios 150/150 (Upgraded to Gigabit Jan. 26 2019)


    Fios Gigabit:

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,429
    Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryland View Post
    Sooner or later band 71 is coming. I壇 get new phones on Verizon and then have T-Mobile pay for them. Only thing is you have to be on a payment plan with Verizon for at least 90 days.

    Once T-Mobile adds the iPhone 11 pro and the iPhone 11 I知 setting up a brand new account on Verizon. 60 days for the phones to unlock, 90 for the payments. No more then 4 months on Verizon. Getting the iPhone 11 pro for ~$400 out of pocket and the iPhone 11 for ~$0. Once I get the $650 per line I値l replace my iPhone 8 Plus and a iPhone 6s that I知 using on att prepaid.
    I actually prefer project Fi. It uses three carriers including T-Mobile.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Posts
    3,734
    Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryland View Post
    Sooner or later band 71 is coming. I壇 get new phones on Verizon and then have T-Mobile pay for them. Only thing is you have to be on a payment plan with Verizon for at least 90 days.

    Once T-Mobile adds the iPhone 11 pro and the iPhone 11 I知 setting up a brand new account on Verizon. 60 days for the phones to unlock, 90 for the payments. No more then 4 months on Verizon. Getting the iPhone 11 pro for ~$400 out of pocket and the iPhone 11 for ~$0. Once I get the $650 per line I値l replace my iPhone 8 Plus and a iPhone 6s that I知 using on att prepaid.
    Hmm, interesting idea. Don't know why I didn't think of that twist. Might as well get the Pixel 4 and iPhone 11 and let T-Mobile pick up the tab for at least some of it.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using HoFo mobile app

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,429
    Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCingularUser View Post
    Hmm, interesting idea. Don't know why I didn't think of that twist. Might as well get the Pixel 4 and iPhone 11 and let T-Mobile pick up the tab for at least some of it.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using HoFo mobile app
    They are selling the pixel 4?

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Posts
    3,734
    Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    In Alabama, Band 71 won't make a difference in coverage because we already have Band 12 deployed.

    T-Mobile is decent in Tuscaloosa, but just know that it gets extremely congested during peak times near or on the UA campus, and is almost unusable game days.

    Unlike Verizon, they don't have small cells at UA so afternoons speeds are usually 1-5Mbps at best.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using HoFo mobile app
    Yeah, I've noticed that speeds on campus can lag at times. I've watched the signal on the CoolPad bounce around on Jack Warner between McFarland and the NuCor plant. How does that stretch look when using a good phone? Will calls drop? Any places around the city that are particularly bad? Signal inside DCH looks solid, and speeds in Northport and off Rice Mine seem to be faster than Verizon. Also, have you been in Northport Hospital? I'm in the bottom of Fitness One, and speeds are terrible, but the building is partly inside a hill. My wife works in both hospitals, and I know DCH is solid, but not sure about Northport.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using HoFo mobile app

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Posts
    3,734
    Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dandn1321 View Post
    They are selling the pixel 4?

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Not yet, but I'm sure they will be when it launches.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using HoFo mobile app

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,461
    Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCingularUser View Post
    Yeah, I've noticed that speeds on campus can lag at times. I've watched the signal on the CoolPad bounce around on Jack Warner between McFarland and the NuCor plant. How does that stretch look when using a good phone? Will calls drop? Any places around the city that are particularly bad? Signal inside DCH looks solid, and speeds in Northport and off Rice Mine seem to be faster than Verizon. Also, have you been in Northport Hospital? I'm in the bottom of Fitness One, and speeds are terrible, but the building is partly inside a hill. My wife works in both hospitals, and I know DCH is solid, but not sure about Northport.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using HoFo mobile app
    Sent you a PM. The biggest thing is that T-Mobile doesn't have backup generators on a lot of their sites, so in a natural disaster I'd expect them to go down fairly easy.

    Also in the extremely rural parts of Bama, they are not yet a viable choice.

    Sent from my Sonim XP8 on Southern Linc using HoFo mobile app

Similar Threads

  1. "Get out of the red" prepaid virtual MasterCard
    By NotABiot in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2019, 12:44 PM
  2. "Get Out of the Red"
    By NotABiot in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-23-2019, 12:07 PM
  3. Get out of the red promotion
    By nevets1 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-15-2018, 01:08 PM
  4. Get Out of the Red with a Verizon S9+
    By geoff5093 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2018, 01:09 PM
  5. Get out of the red requirements?
    By techfranz in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-05-2017, 02:29 PM

Bookmarks