Thread: Switching back and forth between cdma and gsm

Feedback Score

Switching back and forth between cdma and gsm

If using an unlocked phone (phone verified to work with cdma and gsm providers), can a person subscribe to cdma service and then switch back and forth between his cdma and gsm providers simply by removing the cdma card and using his gsm sim card?

Is it just the ICCID of the cdma card that’s tied to the cdma provider or is it also the imei of the fone itself?

Anyone using both cdma and gsm cards in a single fone?

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone SE, Zmax 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Tello, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Yes. No problem swapping sim cards in phones that support all US networks. APN/carrier profile needs to be updated after the swap and maybe a reboot. Can swap between Tello<->T-mobile on my iPhone SE if I wanted to.

Sprint seems to tie the service to both the ICCID of the card and the IMEI of the phone. Verizon seems to be more lenient allowing sim swapping between different LTE capable phones without having to update the new phone's IMEI.

I dunno of any dual sim phones that work on all networks in the US, except maybe the iPhones with an eSIM for GSM/LTE provider and a regular nano SIM for CDMA/LTE. I think all the Asian dual-sim phones are GSM/LTE only, and most don't have proper North American bands.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    Yes. No problem swapping sim cards in phones that support all US networks. APN/carrier profile needs to be updated after the swap and maybe a reboot. Can swap between Tello<->T-mobile on my iPhone SE if I wanted to.

Sprint seems to tie the service to both the ICCID of the card and the IMEI of the phone. Verizon seems to be more lenient allowing sim swapping between different LTE capable phones without having to update the new phone's IMEI.

I dunno of any dual sim phones that work on all networks in the US, except maybe the iPhones with an eSIM for GSM/LTE provider and a regular nano SIM for CDMA/LTE. I think all the Asian dual-sim phones are GSM/LTE only, and most don't have proper North American bands.
    Fone is a single SIM card fone.

Sprint ties service to both ICCID and IMEI but ur experience is that u can swap between Tello (Sprint) and T-mobile? U just take out ur Sprint card and replace it with ur T-mobile SIM card (then update/reboot if needed)?

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone SE, Zmax 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Tello, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Yes. It's that simple, same as GSM SIM swapping. You might need to select the network in settings, but should be automatic most of the time it recognizes the SIM.

The network providers have no clue which phone is registered to other's network. GSM networks don't care at all, as service is tied to the SIM.

The main headache is when you want to swap different phones on the same CDMA network, especially Sprint, which uses a specific sim card type per phone model. 2G/3G CDMA is tied to the IMEI of the phone because they didn't uses SIM cards, only for 4G LTE did they implement SIM cards.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    Yes. It's that simple, same as GSM SIM swapping. You might need to select the network in settings, but should be automatic most of the time it recognizes the SIM.

The network providers have no clue which phone is registered to other's network. GSM networks don't care at all, as service is tied to the SIM.

The main headache is when you want to swap different phones on the same CDMA network, especially Sprint, which uses a specific sim card type per phone model. 2G/3G CDMA is tied to the IMEI of the phone because they didn't uses SIM cards, only for 4G LTE did they implement SIM cards.
    Thank u!!!

Feedback Score
    My Motorola can swap between Sprint, Verizon, and any number of GSM providers just by swapping the SIM card. It does not require a reboot, the service simply pauses for about 10 seconds and then I'm good to go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    My Motorola can swap between Sprint, Verizon, and any number of GSM providers just by swapping the SIM card. It does not require a reboot, the service simply pauses for about 10 seconds and then I'm good to go.
    Moto model ?

Feedback Score
    Moto G4 Plus, Moto G6 Play, pretty much any Moto sold in the US in the last few years.