Thread: Phone worked, then didn't, now does again.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Phone worked, then didn't, now does again.

I keep a PP PAYG as a backup for when I'm out of T-Mobile service. It doesn't get a lot of use. A couple months ago I set up a Tracfone MyFlip to replace my old CDMA flip phone, made a couple test calls and forgot it. On a trip around the hills of N. Georgia, where T-Mobile's coverage is particularly thin and spotty, I realized I could send an receive texts but calls didn't work (in or out). When I got home I got on a chat with PP customer service, who reset the account/phone and now it works again. My credit balance was fine, it had to do with the phone setup. They did send some sort of configuration text in the process.

Has this happened to anyone else, where your phone stopped making calls and had to be reconfigured by customer service to get it working again?

Moral of story: Always check the phone's functioning before depending on it. Make a call, texts won't detect all problems.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    I think the MyFlip is an LTE only phone. With CDMA the phone would compensate for weak signal by adjusting the PRL, but not sure how that's handled with VoLTE. Texts use less bandwidth than calls, so they can sometimes work in very weak signal areas.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    In this case, the calls working or not was unrelated to signal strength. Calls didn't work with full bars.

Feedback Score
    Two things come to mind:
    -I recently swapped a Sprint Phone and both the old and the new were active for a bit. They actually rang together. I think this has to do with the CDMA portion still being connected to the old phone. Meanwhile the LTE Sim was retrieving calls on the new phone.

- With Verizon they used to have this procedure about if you travel out of your home area you had to do *228 and a restart. It was like something got messed up on different regional networks while roaming.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    With Verizon they used to have this procedure about if you travel out of your home area you had to do *228 and a restart. It was like something got messed up on different regional networks while roaming.
    Yes, *228 would force a PRL adjustment on 3G phones. Not used on LTE. Heard of travelers using it to lock onto a new tower to adjust the clock when crossing time zones.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Update: Today I went on my PP account to make sure I had the correct expiration date and learned, to my chagrin, that my plan had magically changed from PAYG to $12/monthly and had expired. The change appears to have occurred when the PP CSR cleared up the previous problems. I got on chat and got a new CSR to reset the account to PAYG. In the process he also updated the expiration to 120 days out, so I get about 3 months of service for free.

Moral of story: If you get anything fixed by a PP CSR, it pays to double check your account to make sure they haven't screwed something else up in the process.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, Tello and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I think the MyFlip is an LTE only phone. With CDMA the phone would compensate for weak signal by adjusting the PRL, but not sure how that's handled with VoLTE. Texts use less bandwidth than calls, so they can sometimes work in very weak signal areas.
    I tried 2 different myflips on Page plus. Had the same problem. Never could get either working 100% so gave up on that idea.
    Need a Tello referral? Get $10 when you sign up. https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3RNHB4D

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    I tried 2 different myflips on Page plus. Had the same problem. Never could get either working 100% so gave up on that idea.
    Was this during the time frame discussed in the Press 1 for English thread ? https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-1-for-English

Have had my MyFlip active for going on a year. TF/MyFlip bought at BestBuy last BlackFriday. Activated on PP out of the box with the SIM that came in it. Never a hick-up. For $15 a great phone for what it is.. Everything it's suppose to do it does, wifi and all. Crystal clear HD calls with others on Verizon HD.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, Tello and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Was this during the time frame discussed in the Press 1 for English thread ? https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-1-for-English

Have had my MyFlip active for going on a year. TF/MyFlip bought at BestBuy last BlackFriday. Activated on PP out of the box with the SIM that came in it. Never a hick-up. For $15 a great phone for what it is.. Everything it's suppose to do it does, wifi and all. Crystal clear HD calls with others on Verizon HD.
    After reading that thread I remembered that mine were giving that same error about not having HD on my plan. They never fixed it so I quit trying to get them working.