Thread: Meh, I got the hotspot warning

Feedback Score

Meh, I got the hotspot warning

Yeah, whatever I got the hotspot warning. The problem is I'm MIRRORING my dang phone, not hotspot or tethering! ( Data use less than 60 gig/month)
    Somebody please tell me there's a difference? Am I getting screwed OR I'm truly in violation? Asking because I don't know.
    How is mirroring my phone to fire TV device considered hotspot and violation of terms? Again, it's NOT hotspot or tethering that they claim, it's mirroring!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Use a VPN to hide your traffic (VPN tether on XDA combined with whatever vpn you choose) and disable hardware acceleration for tether in developer settings. Make sure whatever you are using doesn't have an odd starting TTL if so TTL master or similar

Feedback Score
    see under prohibited uses and misuse - https://www.cricketwireless.com/terms

Feedback Score
    Yiu better call them...there used to be reports that warnings were not just warnings but you had to actually call to prevent terminstion

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Feedback Score
    If you have a single line, just switch to At&t Prepaid. Part of my reason for switching a few weeks ago was because At&t includes Hotspot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    see under prohibited uses and misuse - https://www.cricketwireless.com/terms
    Yes I read that thoroughly. It talks extensively about tethering and hot spots but says nothing about mirroring.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by #8awg View Post
    Yes I read that thoroughly. It talks extensively about tethering and hot spots but says nothing about mirroring.

You're mirroring your phone over the internet? You mean like miracast but over the internet? WTH.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by s52m3 View Post
    You're mirroring your phone over the internet? You mean like miracast but over the internet? WTH.
    My OP I said: 'mirroring my phone to a fire TV device"
    There's no internet available in my shop. Tethering cell internet to the fire TV device would be illegal according to terms.
    That's why I'm mirroring.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    My OP I said: 'mirroring my phone to a fire TV device"
    There's no internet available in my shop. Tethering cell internet to the fire TV device would be illegal according to terms.
    That's why I'm mirroring.

He’s using cell data to stream content and casting it (or mirroring it) to a Another display via a FireTV stick. It shouldn’t matter - they must think your usage is such that it looks like you are hotspoting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glowblue View Post
    He’s using cell data to stream content and casting it (or mirroring it) to a Another display via a FireTV stick. It shouldn’t matter - they must think your usage is such that it looks like you are hotspoting.
    Well here's my usage
    Name:  20190926_150813.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  39.6 KB

Feedback Score
    And here's the notification I got for cricket
    Important Cricket Message. Our records indicate you are using your smartphone as a "mobile hotspot" in violation of the Prohibited Uses section of your agreement; see www.cricketwireless.com/terms. Currently, you are not subscribed to the Mobile Hotspot feature. Please stop using your smartphone as a "hotspot" or call us at 1 (800) 274-2538 so we can add the hotspot feature. If you continue using your smartphone as a "hotspot" without the Mobile Hotspot feature, we will suspend your service in 20 days and cancel it in 35 days. If you believe you have received this message in error, please contact us as soon as possible.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    And here's the notification I got for cricket
    Important Cricket Message. Our records indicate you are using your smartphone as a "mobile hotspot" in violation of the Prohibited Uses section of your agreement; see www.cricketwireless.com/terms. Currently, you are not subscribed to the Mobile Hotspot feature. Please stop using your smartphone as a "hotspot" or call us at 1 (800) 274-2538 so we can add the hotspot feature. If you continue using your smartphone as a "hotspot" without the Mobile Hotspot feature, we will suspend your service in 20 days and cancel it in 35 days. If you believe you have received this message in error, please contact us as soon as possible.

Call and complain - tell them they are wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glowblue View Post
    Thanks, this wasn't clear to me from his original post. I don't understand how this would trigger Cricket (or how they would even know) because miracast (I'm assuming the protocol in question) works over wifi.

Feedback Score
    according to this - https://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...-data-use.html your still using mobile data.