Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying device outside of At&t stores...

Hybrid View

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score

Buying device outside of At&t stores...

Hey all so been limping my LG G6 along now for quite some time speaker phone exclusive barely charging and broken screen time to upgrade.

Really wanted to grab the One Plus 7 but no Wi-Fi calling is a bust.

Long story short I don't want to finance a device but rather pay all up front.

I use Cell mapper a lot and LTE discovery. I like to throw a Tmobile sim in often for mapping would love band 71 support [but not required].

Can anyone point me in the best direction for buying an At&T branded device outright ? And given I'm paying all up front I have to temper my expectations a little bit.

Does anyone have any device recommendations for a situation like this ? The only stipulation being no iPhones.

Thanks I really appreciate anyone's input gotta get this done by Saturday and am completely overwhelmed at the moment. -Max

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Best Buy sells unlocked devices or you can buy directly from the manufacturer instead. Whatever you choose, unlocked is your best option. Personally, I choose Samsung and the Samsung A50 is a very robust, full featured phone with approximately the same size/shape for about half the cost of a Samsung Galaxy S model. Happy shopping.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

A virtually impossible but finitely improbable location
    Device(s)
    Note 8
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Best Buy sells unlocked devices or you can buy directly from the manufacturer instead. Whatever you choose, unlocked is your best option. Personally, I choose Samsung and the Samsung A50 is a very robust, full featured phone with approximately the same size/shape for about half the cost of a Samsung Galaxy S model. Happy shopping.
    eBay, get an ATT branded Samsung phone for much less, unlocked. You can buy a locked one too and pay 25 for an unlock code... I've bought my 2 note 4s, a note 8 and note 9, and two J7s this way... Only one problem with the note 8, they sent me an international note 8 instead of the ATT note 8... They exchanged it without a problem. Buy from someone with lots of good feedback...

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Good advice

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Thanks all. EBay was my dirst thought but was hesitant. Ended up grabbing a brand new AT&T unlocked LG V40 ThinQ for 399.99. Arrives Tuesday.

Absurd that Best Buy still lists it at $958.00!

Feedback Score
    If you buy a phone that is not AT&T branded they will not activate WIFI Calling even if the phone is capable.

Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    It's At&t branded that was the whole point.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keeponkeepnon View Post
    It's At&t branded that was the whole point.

If has been unlocked, AT& T will not consider it branded. Let us know how you make out activating WIFI calling.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojniles View Post
    If has been unlocked, AT& T will not consider it branded. Let us know how you make out activating WIFI calling.

That has never ever been the case. Having a phone unlocked still has all of the same software when an AT&T SIM is inserted.

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    That has never ever been the case. Having a phone unlocked still has all of the same software when an AT&T SIM is inserted.
    Exactly. I have no clue what Rojniles is talking about. I have an AT&T branded Note 9 that's unlocked and works fine on VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling, which is why I bought the AT&T version with a ton of extra AT&T bloat on top of the Samsung bloat that's running on top of Android.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max, Google Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Looks like you already picked up a new phone, but if you get any of the Pixel 3 series phones, AT&T has confirmed that they will work with VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling on their network.

https://www.att.com/plans/google-pixel.html/

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteiKnight View Post
    Looks like you already picked up a new phone, but if you get any of the Pixel 3 series phones, AT&T has confirmed that they will work with VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling on their network.
    I shudder to think of a Pixel 3 on AT&T's network without B29 and B30, much less B14. 3a and 3aXL are fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by keeponkeepnon View Post
    Will I really notice a difference now that I uave band 14 ? In New Hampshire.
    Maybe. That phone had the top RF performance between the Galaxy/Note 10 series came out, so you will have excellent performance regardless.

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Got the phone in the mail today.

Went from a G6 to the V40. Wound up paying 399.99 for it brand new [despite being activated ince to unlock] with all original packaging. Pretty pleased as it's a huge upgrade for me.

Sim swap was a breeze. Immediate VOLTE and Wi-Fi calling access. The phone seems to function a lot more efficiently on the network. My speeds tests have increased pretty dramatically in the same places in my house. Must be the CAT 18.

Will I really notice a difference now that I uave band 14 ? In New Hampshire.

Thanks for the help thus far.

It's too damn bad Att still won't allow unbranded devices as their prices are always quite high for a poor selection if devices.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Primary), AT&T (Secondary)
    Feedback Score
    Unlocked iPhones work with wifi calling
    Timmy G

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timvideo View Post
    Unlocked iPhones work with wifi calling
    They do, because Apple controls IMS provisioning for all carriers, as opposed to Android where the carriers control it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast