Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Buying device outside of At&t stores...

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    They do, because Apple controls IMS provisioning for all carriers, as opposed to Android where the carriers control it.
    I think it is more that Apple doesn't provide custom OS packages for the different carriers. So, provided the phone hardware is the same, an unlocked phone works the same on a carrier than the carrier sold model.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I think it is more that Apple doesn't provide custom OS packages for the different carriers. So, provided the phone hardware is the same, an unlocked phone works the same on a carrier than the carrier sold model.
    Right, Apple controls all the software, which controls the IMS provisioning. Or Apple had to control the IMS provisioning because they control the software, and it's the same on all the carriers. That's also why they have no carrier bloatware.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Right, Apple controls all the software, which controls the IMS provisioning. Or Apple had to control the IMS provisioning because they control the software, and it's the same on all the carriers. That's also why they have no carrier bloatware.
    My point about the carrier profiles is that the carrier pretty much controls that. They decide whether to support FaceTime, for instance, not Apple. Early years of FaceTime, ATT didn't allow it on unlimited plans.

The carrier determines whether the hot spot is enabled or not. I have an iphone on an ATT MVNO, and neither is enabled.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    My point about the carrier profiles is that the carrier pretty much controls that. They decide whether to support FaceTime, for instance, not Apple. Early years of FaceTime, ATT didn't allow it on unlimited plans.

The carrier determines whether the hot spot is enabled or not. I have an iphone on an ATT MVNO, and neither is enabled.
    That's a different issue. The point is that Apple controls IMS and controls the software more closely than on Android.

Device(s)
    Cricket E5 Supra, Stylo 4, metro Moto e5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Depending on how much phone you feel you need, I believe at t prepaid handsets work right out of box, and they are always available on sale and otherwise at Walmart. Imo, there is very little difference between a flagship phone and either mid range or even budget phones. Check phone reviews on you tube. In the last year or so, between cricket and metro, I've picked up and and still using 15 or so new handsets. And strangly enough, the cheapest phone I acquired, a Moto e5 cruise from cricket still has the best radio as far as reception goes, which has to some degree helped with my local att reception issue.

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Depending on how much phone you feel you need, I believe at t prepaid handsets work right out of box, and they are always available on sale and otherwise at Walmart. Imo, there is very little difference between a flagship phone and either mid range or even budget phones. Check phone reviews on you tube. In the last year or so, between cricket and metro, I've picked up and and still using 15 or so new handsets. And strangly enough, the cheapest phone I acquired, a Moto e5 cruise from cricket still has the best radio as far as reception goes, which has to some degree helped with my local att reception issue.
    Thank you ! I appreciate the unique approach. I wound up going with an LG V40 quite happy with it. I hear you on cheap prepaids being great. Had a ZTE Obsidian the thing was great allowed me to lock onto specific bands manipulate the radio in all sorts of ways and great reception. It was so helpful because it was on tmobile and right as they were expanding into the area on LTE 12. It was one of the few phones to support band 12 then to lock on to 12 was amazing for cell mapper.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2