Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Please recommend a new basic flip phone for Selectel after CDMA sunset

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0

    Please recommend a new basic flip phone for Selectel after CDMA sunset

    I want my kids to spend no more time on their phones than necessary. So they have basic old CDMA LG flip phones on Selectel Wireless, which I think is a Verizon MVNO -- only Verizon has good coverage in parts of our town. I buy $10 Selectel "Flex Cards" which makes the monthly cost very low. This has been the perfect solution.

    Now I guess CDMA is going away, and I will need new phones for the kids. I would like to stay on Verizon if possible, and I would like a flip phone, one that screams "I am for making necessary phone calls, not for fun!" and discourages hours of texting and playing games.

    Selectel advertises only one phone on their site, the ZTE Z233VL. It gets terrible reviews.

    Any suggestions for a new flip phone? And is Selectel still the best choice for a low monthly cost?

    Thanks very much for any suggestions!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,579
    Feedback Score
    0
    https://www.pagepluscellular.com/phones/alcatel-myflip/

    Alcatel MyFlip is $20 on Page Plus, and you can get the pay as you go plan for $10 (166 minutes) every 120 days. This is going to be your lowest cost monthly and upfront that I can see to stay on the Verizon network with an LTE flip phone.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    6,507
    Feedback Score
    0
    You might check out the Alcatel "Flip" phone models sold by many providers. Verizon has the Go Flip 5 in it's Basic phone lineup, which is a bit better (and more expensive) than the other "Flip" models. Not sure if these are locked in any way, as that's been changing.

    Some of the Tracfone companies are selling these as the MyFlip for Verizon service. You can commonly find them for $20. You will not get a Tracfone companies phone to work on Selectel. All are locked for 12 months service.

    All newer basic phones are 4G LTE, some don't even have CDMA radios. This may be a problem if you are on a 3G plan. The Verizon 3G shutdown has been pushed out to end of 2020, but the limit time for 3G activations keeps changing. Maybe end of this year, maybe next Summer. Yes, the ZTE Z233 is a POS.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,852
    Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just purchased the MyFlip from BestBuy using a gift card. It's a Tracfone but it works with PagePlus since they're both América Móvil MVNOs. You might be able to do this with Selectel, but you should probably talk with customer service before you buy one. If they don't allow the MyFlip, port your number to PagePlus as VisionsDivine suggests.

    It is a cheap phone and looks and feels cheap. But for $20 what do you expect? If handled carefully it won't break. And it's LTE so it will still work after VZW shuts down 3G.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0
    You guys are great-- thank you very much! I will look into the Alcatel flip phones and Page Plus.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    6,507
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    Alcatel MyFlip is $20 on Page Plus, and you can get the pay as you go plan for $10 (166 minutes) every 120 days. This is going to be your lowest cost monthly and upfront that I can see to stay on the Verizon network with an LTE flip phone.
    166 minutes per 120 days is very little talk time, and using any data (like MMS) will eat into that. The $25 plan is still cheap at $6.25 per month.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    628
    Feedback Score
    0
    You can get a better deal on Selectel by going with their 4G yearly plan for $80. You get 2,000 mins./texts to use (no data) over the year and if you run out sooner than the year, top up with flex cards. I'm not sure how many flex cards you're using but this might work out for you. I have my father on this for his 2nd year on an unlocked cell and it's worked out well for him. Pay once and sit back for a year. I am, however, looking for a 4G flipper for him as well because his is a 3G Samsung Haven and it needs updated before the 3G sunset.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInMass View Post
    I want my kids to spend no more time on their phones than necessary. So they have basic old CDMA LG flip phones on Selectel Wireless, which I think is a Verizon MVNO -- only Verizon has good coverage in parts of our town. I buy $10 Selectel "Flex Cards" which makes the monthly cost very low. This has been the perfect solution.

    Now I guess CDMA is going away, and I will need new phones for the kids. I would like to stay on Verizon if possible, and I would like a flip phone, one that screams "I am for making necessary phone calls, not for fun!" and discourages hours of texting and playing games.

    Selectel advertises only one phone on their site, the ZTE Z233VL. It gets terrible reviews.

    Any suggestions for a new flip phone? And is Selectel still the best choice for a low monthly cost?

    Thanks very much for any suggestions!!
    Sent from my moto g(7) power using HoFo mobile app

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,704
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwiz View Post
    You can get a better deal on Selectel by going with their 4G yearly plan for $80. You get 2,000 mins./texts to use (no data) over the year and if you run out sooner than the year, top up with flex cards. I'm not sure how many flex cards you're using but this might work out for you. I have my father on this for his 2nd year on an unlocked cell and it's worked out well for him. Pay once and sit back for a year. I am, however, looking for a 4G flipper for him as well because his is a 3G Samsung Haven and it needs updated before the 3G sunset.
    As far as I know, the Selectel 4G LTE annual plan is $100. See http://www.batmobilewireless.com/pro...l-yearly-plan/ and/or http://www.talkingmp3players.com/Sel...s_ep_53-1.html .

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    628
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    As far as I know, the Selectel 4G LTE annual plan is $100. See http://www.batmobilewireless.com/pro...l-yearly-plan/ and/or http://www.talkingmp3players.com/Sel...s_ep_53-1.html .
    I logged in and it shows $75.Name:  IMG_20190928_193441820.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  44.1 KB

    Sent from my moto g(7) power using HoFo mobile app

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,704
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    That's good. It looks like Selectel dropped the 4G annual plan down to what the 3G annual plan used to cost. Thanks!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0

    Thanks for the additional Selectel information!

    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    That's good. It looks like Selectel dropped the 4G annual plan down to what the 3G annual plan used to cost. Thanks!
    Thanks for updating me on the Selectel choices! Once the CDMA sunset gets closer or one of the current flip phones craps out, I'll see whether it's possible to get the Go Flip V or maybe the Kyocera Cadence on Selectel. All the current flip phones have a terrible average review score on the Verizon site, but if you read the reviews on the Go Flip V (I have not posted enough here for the site to let me post links, sorry), a lot of them complain about basic functionality like audio quality while the reviews on the Kyocera are largely the usual complaints about battery life.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    628
    Feedback Score
    0

    Please recommend a new basic flip phone for Selectel after CDMA sunset

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInMass View Post
    Thanks for updating me on the Selectel choices! Once the CDMA sunset gets closer or one of the current flip phones craps out, I'll see whether it's possible to get the Go Flip V or maybe the Kyocera Cadence on Selectel. All the current flip phones have a terrible average review score on the Verizon site, but if you read the reviews on the Go Flip V (I have not posted enough here for the site to let me post links, sorry), a lot of them complain about basic functionality like audio quality while the reviews on the Kyocera are largely the usual complaints about battery life.
    I was thinking of the Kyocera Cadence for my father but some reviewers say the volume is too low. Selectel already contacted my father to offer him their one and only flip phone (ZTE Z233VL) to get on 4G now ... before the sunset date so his service remains good. I haven't seen good reviews for this cell either. I usually get unlocked cells so I'll keep looking. I'll check out the Alcatel Goflip V.

    Note: Alcatel GoFlip V on a yearly plan looks interesting if it works on Selectel. I'm concerned if KaiOS will be laggy.

    Sent from my moto g(7) power using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by mizwiz; 09-30-2019 at 04:07 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,294
    Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    0
    All the current flip phones have a terrible average review score on the Verizon site
    Take it with a grain of salt. If you see low reviews because of a specific problem on some model, that could be a problem; like if the Go Flip 5 actually has poor audio quality needless to say that could be a problem.

    But for instance my Dad got a LG Exalt (VN220) flip... it boots a lot slower than the old flips (since it's booting a stripped copy of Android...). It's like 10 or 15 seconds, though, not ridiculous like some regular Android phones. Still has the flipphone-like weeks of battery life. The menus are just like using a traditional flip phone. It supports hotspot, and wifi calling, but these settings are buried well in the settings so someone wanting to ignore them can pretend they don't exist if you want. Calls are nice and crisp.

    But the reviews are bad; if you read the reviews the main complaints though are people getting one and expecting it to do way more stuff than a flip phone does, and people marking it down because it's like $120 when a cheap Android phone is $80 so they think it should be selling for $40 or whatever. Virtually all these phones marked down on the reviews are for reasons like that, rather than actual problems with the phone as a flip phone.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,566
    Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInMass View Post
    Thanks for updating me on the Selectel choices! Once the CDMA sunset gets closer or one of the current flip phones craps out, I'll see whether it's possible to get the Go Flip V or maybe the Kyocera Cadence on Selectel. All the current flip phones have a terrible average review score on the Verizon site, but if you read the reviews on the Go Flip V (I have not posted enough here for the site to let me post links, sorry), a lot of them complain about basic functionality like audio quality while the reviews on the Kyocera are largely the usual complaints about battery life.
    Considering you want your kids to spend minimal time using the phone, the Cadence may be better choices than the MyFlip V. The latest versions of that phone (MyFlip V, Go Flip 3 and Smart Flip) have some very basic versions of Google apps on them through KaiOS 2.5.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    628
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm looking at the Alcatel SmartFlip because it can dictate texts and also has Google voice commands. Good for a blind person, as my father is. I think it's locked to AT&T or Cricket, however. So I doubt I could use it on Selectel.
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Considering you want your kids to spend minimal time using the phone, the Cadence may be better choices than the MyFlip V. The latest versions of that phone (MyFlip V, Go Flip 3 and Smart Flip) have some very basic versions of Google apps on them through KaiOS 2.5.
    Sent from my moto g(7) power using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 10:18 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-13-2010, 02:25 PM
  3. WTB: small flip phone for under $200 (no contract please)
    By asianada in forum Non GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2005, 01:27 PM
  4. Best Flip Phone for new ATTWS contract
    By lplion in forum AT&T
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-20-2004, 12:27 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2004, 12:33 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks