Thread: Port-in Post Activation?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ (SIM-free),LG Revere
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Port-in Post Activation?

I currently have an iPhone 6s+ on T-Mobile. For various reasons I'm exploring switching to VZ prepaid and signed up for the 3+3GB plan using an old VZ Sim I had, intending to try the service out before porting the T-Mo number in. Not thinking it would be a problem, I now find that VZW doesn't allow you to port in an outside number except when you first activate the account.

No issue with VZW, that info is buried on their site but it is there, but this in effect would make it impossible for me to switch since I need my old number. I WILL chat with them anyway, but has anyone run into this issue before and is there a way around it? I thought perhaps the fact I didn't purchase a phone, this was just a SIM card with BYOD, would make a difference. I also suppose I COULD try not paying for subsequent service on the existing account and activating a completely new one (same phone but I could use a different SIM), but this seems like a lot of work to get VZW to take my money.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated (at least it would give me ammunition when I DO chat with VZW support).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by slowfox View Post
    I currently have an iPhone 6s+ on T-Mobile. For various reasons I'm exploring switching to VZ prepaid and signed up for the 3+3GB plan using an old VZ Sim I had, intending to try the service out before porting the T-Mo number in. Not thinking it would be a problem, I now find that VZW doesn't allow you to port in an outside number except when you first activate the account.

No issue with VZW, that info is buried on their site but it is there, but this in effect would make it impossible for me to switch since I need my old number. I WILL chat with them anyway, but has anyone run into this issue before and is there a way around it? I thought perhaps the fact I didn't purchase a phone, this was just a SIM card with BYOD, would make a difference. I also suppose I COULD try not paying for subsequent service on the existing account and activating a completely new one (same phone but I could use a different SIM), but this seems like a lot of work to get VZW to take my money.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated (at least it would give me ammunition when I DO chat with VZW support).
    Where did you get that misinformation? The option to change your number to a ported in number is right there in the my Verizon website, not the app, but the website. I’ve done it many times. It’s 2 steps, go to change mobile number> port exiting number.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dthoward View Post
    Where did you get that misinformation? The option to change your number to a ported in number is right there in the my Verizon website, not the app, but the website. I’ve done it many times. It’s 2 steps, go to change mobile number> port exiting number.
    See #3 in https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...tability-faqs/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by slowfox View Post
    That must me old info that was never updated.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dthoward View Post
    That must me old info that was never updated.
    Well, perhaps you're right, I guess I'll find out when I chat with a "representative". I did try to use the MyVerizon app to change numbers and I could choose a new one, but there was no option to port in an existing number from another carrier.

Thanks regardless for posting and trying to help me out.

EDIT: I actually took your advice and logged into my account on the web and, sure enough, the Port option is there. Of course with my luck I'll select it and they'll tell me that option is not available , but I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    I just checked and you can even port from 611 by following the prompts.

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    Even if they won't, just call and cancel the current line to free up the phone, then port your number as a new line.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, 3 & 3a; Moto X4, 6 & 7; ZTE R2; iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    It’s called a late or delayed port. Shouldn’t be a problem. You may have a clueless rep.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible