Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: $25 Unlimited Kickstart Offer Closes Oct 3 so act quickly if you want it

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by collegea View Post
    I noticed today that when I am on a voice call, my LTE data connection is shut down or unavailable. But when I conclude the call, the LTE connection resumes. Also, I cannot make a voice call using Hangouts on my LTE connection, as I could with T-Mobile and AT&T.

Sent from my Pixel XL using HoFo mobile app
    iPhone 8 and higher and some Androids such as Samsung S8, S10 and Pixel 3, 3 XL and newer models now support VoLTE in most areas, which will allow simultaneous voice and data. More phones should be added in the next couple of months.

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/services/volte.html

I cannot recall whether earlier Pixels will be supported later but I think they may be.

I have not tried Hangouts over LTE. It works fine for me over Wifi.
    Last edited by comintel; 10-16-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Device(s)
    Pixel, Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    iPhone 8 and higher and some Androids such as Samsung S8, S10 and Pixel 3, 3 XL and newer models now support VoLTE in most areas, which will allow simultaneous voice and data. More phones should be added in the next couple of months.

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/services/volte.html

I cannot recall whether earlier Pixels will be supported later but I think they may be.

I have not tried Hangouts over LTE. It works fine for me over Wifi.
    In life, you have to pick your poison or evaluate the sum of the parts. When I had two AT&T tablet plans, I exclusively made calls via Hangouts on LTE as that was my only voice and text connection. It worked fine. With Sprint, I can't even make a call. On the other hand, data speeds with Sprint are great in my home ( and surrounding area) as my internet connection while AT&T was dying on me. Voice calls were a little clearer and crisper on Hangouts with AT&T than on Sprint's network.

Verdict: Very happy with Sprint. There is no Nirvana or perfection in cell phone land as in life.

Sent from my Pixel using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by collegea View Post
    In life, you have to pick your poison or evaluate the sum of the parts. When I had two AT&T tablet plans, I exclusively made calls via Hangouts on LTE as that was my only voice and text connection. It worked fine. With Sprint, I can't even make a call. On the other hand, data speeds with Sprint are great in my home ( and surrounding area) as my internet connection while AT&T was dying on me. Voice calls were a little clearer and crisper on Hangouts with AT&T than on Sprint's network.

Verdict: Very happy with Sprint. There is no Nirvana or perfection in cell phone land as in life.

Sent from my Pixel using HoFo mobile app
    Agreed.

By the way, I did just try Hangouts over LTE on my Samsung S8 and it worked for me. There was some dead quiet for a few seconds at the start that might make one think it is not worki8ng unless you wait. However I have the free plan not Hangouts. Also I do have modded APN with DUN at the end which might have made a difference. (Also I think I read that some Google phones may wrap VOIP calls with VPN or some such at least with Fi although I doubt that would apply here).

In any case VoLTE when/if available to you later should be even better than VOIP because it has QOS.

Device(s)
    Pixel, Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart
    Feedback Score
    I would have loved to be on Sprint's free plan, but we moved from Northwest Las Vegas to Henderson in July and Sprint ( along with Verizon) had no LTE service in that part of Las Vegas. And T-Mobile speeds were very poor. AT&T was the only game in that area.
    T-Mobile gave me a very hard time. I bought the senior plan for $60, where you get 2 unlimited voice and data lines, with a 30 day money back guarantee. So, I tried it and didn't like it. When I cancelled, they kept on sending me bills and threatened me with collections. This went on for months until I finally got a good CS rep who straightened things out. I didn't pay a penny, but I got a number of threatening, harassing letters. That really irritated me as I was assured by everyone I spoke to that I could cancel within 30 days without any expenses. I cancelled two days later. It left a bad taste in my mouth.
    AT&T's tablet plan was all online. No contact with CS. In fact, CS couldn't access your account.

I received a couple of calls on Hangouts today. Strange, since I can't make them. But now I have local phone numbers so it's no big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Agreed.

By the way, I did just try Hangouts over LTE on my Samsung S8 and it worked for me. There was some dead quiet for a few seconds at the start that might make one think it is not worki8ng unless you wait. However I have the free plan not Hangouts. Also I do have modded APN with DUN at the end which might have made a difference. (Also I think I read that some Google phones may wrap VOIP calls with VPN or some such at least with Fi although I doubt that would not apply here).

In any case VoLTE when/if available to you later should be even better than VOIP because it has QOS.
    Sent from my Pixel XL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score

Kickstart Increased by $10 as expected

And Kickstart now shows as $35 a month on the main Sprint home page and on the Kickstart plan page. We did our best to caution people that this increase was imminent.
    Last edited by comintel; 10-18-2019 at 04:06 AM.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    I went to sign up last night for $25 Kickstart, but I’m not letting Sprint pull my credit for a BYOD plan where the most they stand to lose is, what, $50?

Even though Sprint is bad in the area I live, it’s fine where I work and commute so I could live with the shortcomings at that price. But a hard credit pull for it? No thanks. This is why I stick to prepaid, I can switch to whoever I want whenever I want.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    I went to sign up last night for $25 Kickstart, but I’m not letting Sprint pull my credit for a BYOD plan where the most they stand to lose is, what, $50?

Even though Sprint is bad in the area I live, it’s fine where I work and commute so I could live with the shortcomings at that price. But a hard credit pull for it? No thanks. This is why I stick to prepaid, I can switch to whoever I want whenever I want.

Actually the credit check for Kickstart is optional if you already have your phone. You might need to call in.

But yesterday was the last day for $25 Kickstart. It just went up by $10 as per earlier posts.

Fortunately there are excellent offers from MCNO's such as Tello as you mention.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    I heard that it was optional but didn’t know you needed to call. Either way at $35 it’s not worth it, that’s only a few bucks less than I’m ultimately paying for AT&T unlimited prepaid.

I’ll just stick with them for now, it seems like their data issues I was experiencing recently have been for the most part resolved anyway.

Feedback Score
    According to a post on reddit, you can still get Kickstart for $25 at Best Buy through November 2. (As previously noted, it has already gone up to $35 online and at Sprint stores).

The poster says they will activate BYOD phone.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comm...ihl/?context=3
    Last edited by comintel; 10-28-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    For me the Kickstart plan was $25 + like $4 in fees so in Oregon I was paying $29 monthly for kickstart before I left back to AT&T's promo year plan.
    Home Entertainment: Xfinity Double Play with 140+ channels and 100 Megs per second internet.

Landline: Google Voice

Mobile Entertainment: AT&T Prepaid as primary, Three UK sim as secondary.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicpdx17 View Post
    For me the Kickstart plan was $25 + like $4 in fees so in Oregon I was paying $29 monthly for kickstart before I left back to AT&T's promo year plan.
    The point is that that price has ended and is now $10 higher generally (with one small exception which lasts only 2 more days).

At that time it was $25 plus $4 taxes and fees (taxes varying by state). So typically total just under $30 then.

Now it has gone to $35 plus $4 taxes and fees for new customers. So typically total just under $40 now.

There is no doubt about this - all you have to do is look at the Sprint web site to see the new price of $35 plus taxes and fees. https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plans...kickstart.html . That page said $25 until a couple of weeks ago.

This applies everywhere both online and at Sprint stores EXCEPT through national retailers (Best Buy) which are at the old price level (that you got) but ONLY FOR 2 MORE DAYS. Then they go to the higher price level too.

So if people want to get the price you got ($25 + $4), they only have the rest of this week and only at Best Buy or possibly another national retailer.
    Last edited by comintel; 11-01-2019 at 02:19 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2