Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What happened to M-Cell network shut down

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Feedback Score

What happened to M-Cell network shut down

I recall reading quite a bit of discussion on the M CELL network shutting down at the end of 2018. Thankfully my folks has continued to work. Anyone have the status on the M CELL looking towards the future ?

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    From what I have read it will stay active till AT&T starts shuting down 3g.

Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    It's still working.
    I have 9 of them for my Los Angeles office but reliability has been spotty.
    I'll speak with my AT&T rep to see what they plan to do with their M-Cell network.
    Thanks for bring this up.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Feedback Score
    Thanks! I'll be curious to hear.

Also what is AT&Ts game plan for sunsetting 3g? So wish they would release an LTE M Cell .

Does anyone else feel like the M CELL is just plain more reliable than WIFI calling?

Seems to preserve the battery better as well.
    Instead of the phone alternating between 120 db signal and Wi-Fi calling at my folks house their phones just sit with a -69db signal at all times and never miss a call. Wi-Fi C not so much.

Feedback Score
    I am dreading the turn down of the MicroCell. I have used one at home for 14 years as there is no over the air signal in my area. I have tried WIFI calling but the range is much less and reliability is iffy.

Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keeponkeepnon View Post

Also what is AT&Ts game plan for sunsetting 3g? So wish they would release an LTE M Cell .

Does anyone else feel like the M CELL is just plain more reliable than WIFI calling?
    Yes. Wi-Fi Calling is a mess. It shouldn't be hard to implement, but it's flaky as hell, and IMO, has actually gotten worse over time. I'm not sure who is at fault for that, but someone needs to figure it out and fix Wi-Fi Calling, as Wi-Fi Calling is, in theory, a superior way to do it if it would actually work properly. If they can't do that, then they should release an LTE Microcell like other carriers have.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL, Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Yes. Wi-Fi Calling is a mess. It shouldn't be hard to implement, but it's flaky as hell, and IMO, has actually gotten worse over time. I'm not sure who is at fault for that, but someone needs to figure it out and fix Wi-Fi Calling, as Wi-Fi Calling is, in theory, a superior way to do it if it would actually work properly. If they can't do that, then they should release an LTE Microcell like other carriers have.
    My mother-in-law, grandmother-in-law, sister-in-law (lots of in-laws LOL), wife, and myself use WiFi Calling, and have been for years. We've been in Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, etc., sometimes in areas of pretty shoddy native AT&T coverage (like in the Appalachian mountains of VA), and haven't had any issues with WiFi calling.

This isn't an AT&T-side issue, and realize that the folks that are complaining are in the minority. Sure, I've had some issues with IMS registration failing, causing WiFi Calling not to work (also affects VoLTE), but in the past 3 years of using it, the issues with it have been from the WiFi network itself (or the internet), NOT AT&T's network.

I dislike AT&T as much as the next guy, and sure, femtocells are going to work better for a number of reasons (dedicated spectrum using the native cellular technology, less jitter, latency, and interference, better range in most cases, etc.), but to say AT&T "needs to figure it out and fix Wi-Fi Calling" is oblivious to the fact that there are millions of customers across different carriers that are using WiFi Calling, and most of them aren't complaining.

Go buy decent network equipment and get a decent ISP first, and then let's talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    CSD was rarely used, and was before they started referring to cell phone technology in G's. This G stuff really started with 3G coverage and its because the 2nd iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. That's where cell phone tech got the G's from. The G stands for Gigs and the number is the number of Gigs the signal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Oh boy....
    Quote Originally Posted by AttData View Post
    My thoughts exactly...

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Feedback Score
    I think there is a real difference between using Wi-Fi calling sporadically and relying on it solely for service.

I actually love At&t at least in comparison to us cellular and think Wi-Fi calling is a great functional substitute as needed.

For instance at my parents house it would almost be better if there was no signal at all and only a Wi-Fi signal as then their phones would just sit on Wi-Fi and not bounce back and forth [yes I know airplane mode could be enabled but that's just not realistic every single day] where as the m cell despite lacking HD voice and seamless handovers as well as hspa data it's just rock solid always and it's just like native service.

I truly truly hope they think ahead and get an LTE M cell together because it seems to me like a lot of people require one to make at&t a viable option otherwise churn baby churn.

What carriers have released LTE M cells to date ?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by balleron24z View Post
    This isn't an AT&T-side issue, and realize that the folks that are complaining are in the minority. Sure, I've had some issues with IMS registration failing, causing WiFi Calling not to work (also affects VoLTE), but in the past 3 years of using it, the issues with it have been from the WiFi network itself (or the internet), NOT AT&T's network.
    You're just wrong. I've used it for quite a while, and even on a rock solid network/internet connection it's flaky as hell. It's registered, but it flakes in and out seemingly randomly, even when the internet is rock solid. It's not just an AT&T issue, either, I've heard it's terrible on Verizon and T-Mobile as well.

but to say AT&T "needs to figure it out and fix Wi-Fi Calling" is oblivious to the fact that there are millions of customers across different carriers that are using WiFi Calling, and most of them aren't complaining.
    I'm sure many have WiFi Calling that works just fine, but many don't. It may not be something that AT&T can fix, but WiFi calling is seriously broken.

Go buy decent network equipment and get a decent ISP first, and then let's talk.
    That's not the issue. Even with rock-solid connectivity, WiFi Calling has a mind of it's own.

For instance at my parents house it would almost be better if there was no signal at all and only a Wi-Fi signal as then their phones would just sit on Wi-Fi and not bounce back and forth [yes I know airplane mode could be enabled but that's just not realistic every single day] where as the m cell despite lacking HD voice and seamless handovers as well as hspa data it's just rock solid always and it's just like native service.
    If it's really the bouncing that causes all the instability, they could just put a setting in software allowing the phone to prefer Wi-Fi calling over cellular. I'm not sure that's entirely the issue, but it definitely is a part of it, as I have seen phones continually switch back and forth, or fail to switch over when they should.

I truly truly hope they think ahead and get an LTE M cell together because it seems to me like a lot of people require one to make at&t a viable option otherwise churn baby churn.
    I agree. Verizon and T-Mobile have them, AT&T should as well, since Wi-Fi Calling may not get fixed soon, if ever. They should also give them out for free to postpaid customers with reception issues like T-Mobile does.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Feedback Score
    They don't give them out for free ? That's insane. We got ours for free probably because it was same day we ported 3 lines in from USCC got to my parents house and they were ready to go back to USCC signal was such garbage inside the house. So the rep at the store gave me an M Cell and saved his commission.

That was almost 4 years ago they've added 2 maybe 3 towers that cover my parents house in the interim and yet they STILL can't manage to get the coverage into the weird little nook my folks house resides in. Yet tmobile has beautiful service at the house and crap most other places around here.

What issues do you run into with WIFI calling distorted audio ? Poor hand offs ? The major issue at my folks is the fact that incoming calls wont always go thru because of the switching which I really don't like. The M cell even while hooked up to 3/786k bonded DSL at nearly 3 miles from the central office always always routes the calls appropriately with almost no audio distortion EVER which is really surprising. Way more distortion on WIFI C.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    They don't give them out for free ? That's insane. We got ours for free probably because it was same day we ported 3 lines in from USCC got to my parents house and they were ready to go back to USCC signal was such garbage inside the house. So the rep at the store gave me an M Cell and saved his commission.
    Not normally, no. You got lucky.

What issues do you run into with WIFI calling distorted audio ? Poor hand offs ? The major issue at my folks is the fact that incoming calls wont always go thru because of the switching which I really don't like. The M cell even while hooked up to 3/786k bonded DSL at nearly 3 miles from the central office always always routes the calls appropriately with almost no audio distortion EVER which is really surprising. Way more distortion on WIFI C.
    It often just won't connect to Wi-Fi calling, attempting to use a bar of sketchy LTE instead. MMS fails sometimes, but mostly it's just not reliable. I've used it over an old school ADSL line, it was fine, probably because there was barely one bar of HSPA+. I've had call competition issues as well, although once you're on a call it usually works.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    You're just wrong. I've used it for quite a while, and even on a rock solid network/internet connection it's flaky as hell. It's registered, but it flakes in and out seemingly randomly, even when the internet is rock solid. It's not just an AT&T issue, either, I've heard it's terrible on Verizon and T-Mobile as well.
    I've had a few home access points exhibit a wide variety of odd behavior; some close an "idle" connection in as short as 30 seconds, modify traffic every now and then when it shouldn't, lose connections (well, streams, in the case of UDP it's technically connectionless), and so on. Typically on these, ordinary web and download use will seem pretty reliable, the ping tests, speed tests, etc. will say the internet connection is fine (since it is), but various other services will act up that don't through another AP.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Seems to preserve the battery better as well.
    Instead of the phone alternating between 120 db signal and Wi-Fi calling at my folks house their phones just sit with a -69db signal at all times and never miss a call. Wi-Fi C not so much.

I really wish AT&T would release an LTE version.

Their are several advantages to an extender and I had one on Verizon and loved it. My battery life was much better. My phone used to constantly switch from network calling to WiFi calling and back and forth which could cause me to miss calls or make my call quality poor. handoff from the LTE network extender to cellular seemed smoother than from WiFi calling to cellular network. Speeds were always snappy (sometimes while driving I would turn WiFi off cause I have the xfinity WiFi app on my phone and sometimes my phone would try to connect to hotspots every 5 seconds and it was a pain). Calls were always crystal clear on the extender.

If AT&T releases a new one I hope it has an open user feature compared to a locked down whitelist and programming numbers was a pain. I never minded sharing my cellular connection. I had a swat incident two houses down from me and I had like 10 people connected to my Verizon LTE extender at once and they had no issues.

I did have one negative experience with a Verizon LTE network extender once. I was visiting a friend whose neighbor had an extender and they had it cranked down to a like 2 Mbps limit (they used their phone strictly for voice only) and my phone wanted to camp on the slower connection cause it was stronger compared to the regular cell network that was faster.

If AT&T would release a LTE version I would buy it in a heartbeat. I live in a slight valley so I’m kinda in a Cellular signal dead spot. My phone usually shows 1 bar of 5Ge sometimes 2 but if I put my phone in my pocket and take it back out it can show no service which has caused me to miss calls cause I had WiFi turned off and forgot to turn it back on.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

I got my AT&T M cell free as well. Granted it was like 12 years ago or something.

It was after like my 4th or 5th call to tech support about calls dropping and outgoing calls failing. They suggested a M cell. They did initially try to charge me like 200 bucks or something for it. I then said “so I have to pay an additional 200 bucks to be able to use the service I’m already paying like 100 bucks a month for?” I remember he put me on hold then got back on the line said he would give me a 200 bill credit to cover the cost and they shipped it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I use WiFi calling at home and it works fine, no dropped calls, no connection problems- not really flakey-out of the 100’s of calls inbound I had 2 where I couldn’t hear anything and had to call them back. I have a really good ISP- Verizon fios, really low ping / nonexistent jitter. Usually have 1-3 bars of LTE when WiFi calling is activated.
    Personal Highest on LTE - US RT 1 and MD-152

Home internet - Verizon Fios 150/150 (Upgraded to Gigabit Jan. 26 2019)

Fios Gigabit:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast