Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What happened to M-Cell network shut down

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryland View Post
    I use WiFi calling at home and it works fine, no dropped calls, no connection problems- not really flakey-out of the 100’s of calls inbound I had 2 where I couldn’t hear anything and had to call them back. I have a really good ISP- Verizon fios, really low ping / nonexistent jitter. Usually have 1-3 bars of LTE when WiFi calling is activated.
    I also am a very heavy phone user for calls and over 100’s if calls and I would say maybe 5-10 percent of them can have poor call quality.

I also have a good ISP, my internal ping (Comcast to comcast is about 15 ms) and an external ping (Comcast to AT&T server) is about 38 ms. I suspect over WiFi calling my call is getting routed from Comcast then to an AT&T server somewhere.

I do agree that WiFi calling is good I still prefer the rock solid performance I got from the extender compared to WiFi calling. IMO WiFi calling is a great way to “fill in the gaps” but it’s not reliable enough to be the “daily driver” for use.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by balleron24z View Post
    I dislike AT&T as much as the next guy, and sure, femtocells are going to work better for a number of reasons (dedicated spectrum using the native cellular technology, less jitter, latency, and interference, better range in most cases, etc.), but to say AT&T "needs to figure it out and fix Wi-Fi Calling" is oblivious to the fact that there are millions of customers across different carriers that are using WiFi Calling, and most of them aren't complaining.

Go buy decent network equipment and get a decent ISP first, and then let's talk.
    When I used my Verizon LTE network extender I had higher latency compared to my cellular network. I suspect this is how calls are routed. From what I remember when talking to the Network extender tech support all traffic (both voice and data) is routed from the extender, through Comcast (in my case) then to a Verizon server before going to its final destination. I believe he said their were only like 3-4 servers scattered throughout the country that handled all the traffic from LTE extenders. If I ran a speed test on my cell phone without the extender it would hit a Verizon server about 15 miles away with a ping in the lower 20’s but if I used the extender my ping would be in the 130’s and the Verizon server it routed traffic through was like 300 miles away but call quality was always excellent. I do remember having some issues the first time I set it up and Verizon had me do some ping tracer thing and send them a screen shot of it. The determined my LTE extender was taking to many “hops” to get to the correct server. I guess they contacted Comcast and was able to correct it on the back end.

I’m curious if AT&T WiFi calling is set up similar where it routes the call through a specific set of servers so your location in the country compared to that specific AT&T WiFi calling server you get routed to. Also I would imagine your ISP’s route to that server can have a drastic impact on call quality. AT&T’s WiFi calling definitely isn’t broke but I do think it does have a little room for improvement.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    I've had a few home access points exhibit a wide variety of odd behavior; some close an "idle" connection in as short as 30 seconds, modify traffic every now and then when it shouldn't, lose connections (well, streams, in the case of UDP it's technically connectionless), and so on. Typically on these, ordinary web and download use will seem pretty reliable, the ping tests, speed tests, etc. will say the internet connection is fine (since it is), but various other services will act up that don't through another AP.
    Everything else works just fine on my network. Wi-Fi calling is flaky across many different networks. So what's at fault? It's pretty obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    If AT&T releases a new one I hope it has an open user feature compared to a locked down whitelist and programming numbers was a pain. I never minded sharing my cellular connection. I had a swat incident two houses down from me and I had like 10 people connected to my Verizon LTE extender at once and they had no issues.
    Agreed. It should be an option for the user to set. If you don't have a bandwidth cap, there's not reason not to have it wide open, as it's secured through AT&T's network anyway.

I did have one negative experience with a Verizon LTE network extender once. I was visiting a friend whose neighbor had an extender and they had it cranked down to a like 2 Mbps limit (they used their phone strictly for voice only) and my phone wanted to camp on the slower connection cause it was stronger compared to the regular cell network that was faster.
    Not much you can do about that, in general a network extender would be in a location where there is little to no reliable LTE anyway, so something is better than nothing.

If AT&T would release a LTE version I would buy it in a heartbeat.
    My parents would get one too. They rely on Wi-Fi calling. Most of their house can receive a call on LTE, but it's very weak, and drops completely in one part of the downstairs in the summer, as well as most/all of the basement.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL, Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    You're just wrong. I've used it for quite a while, and even on a rock solid network/internet connection it's flaky as hell. It's registered, but it flakes in and out seemingly randomly, even when the internet is rock solid. It's not just an AT&T issue, either, I've heard it's terrible on Verizon and T-Mobile as well.
    I'm going to respectfully disagree with your experience being anything other than the network/environment, except in rare cases of there being an IMS backbone issue. I've been on Comcast/Xfinity, BVU (local fiber provider), AT&T Fiber, Spectrum, and even public WiFi, and as long as the network is functioning as intended, the worst I've had is a little jitter and maybe a drop or two (~50ms length) on something like a 2 hour phone call. I've actually had some 7-8 hour phone calls exclusively over WiFi Calling and haven't had issues with drop-outs or dropped calls. I've been on enterprise-grade Cisco APs, cheap TP-Link N routers, and most commonly a few Netgear Orbi systems, and I can keep a call walking between APs no problem.

I'm sure many have WiFi Calling that works just fine, but many don't. It may not be something that AT&T can fix, but WiFi calling is seriously broken.
    I rarely see folks complaining about WiFi Calling other than either their device doesn't support it, they can't get it to activate, or their internet (or network) sucks. Someone in the sticks trying to use a 2+ mile loop DSL to Century Link on an already overloaded local hub is going to have a worse time than someone in Raleigh on Google Fiber.

That's not the issue. Even with rock-solid connectivity, WiFi Calling has a mind of it's own.
    I can't say that WiFi Calling doesn't like to hand-off to the native network at odd times, and that's all down to whatever programming has determined when it happens. I do know that if I'm in an area where the signal quality fluctuates a bit, it can cause my phone to hand-off to the native network, but I've never lost a call like that, and it's not often that it happens. See my points above.

I'm not trying to argue with you, SoxFan76, we're both passionate about wireless tech. I've gotten into many discussions here on HW and have butted heads with many folks, it happens. But this argument is along the lines of general frustration with service providers, it's not specific to WiFi Calling. There are so many factors that affect even companies that provide electric, water, cable, fiber, cell service, etc. and there are always going to be outliers that have issues with one company that don't happen on another. All I'm saying is, I very rarely, if ever, see folks complaining about WiFi Calling as it's generally stable enough that it's not frustrating to use. Considering I've got 7 people I know that reside in different states that know I'm a nerd and they've not complained to me once about WiFi Calling says that it's not a grand-scale problem, and it's isolated.
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    CSD was rarely used, and was before they started referring to cell phone technology in G's. This G stuff really started with 3G coverage and its because the 2nd iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. That's where cell phone tech got the G's from. The G stands for Gigs and the number is the number of Gigs the signal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Oh boy....
    Quote Originally Posted by AttData View Post
    My thoughts exactly...

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Didn't know the LTE extenders let you set a bandwidth limit. Good to know... I did wonder a bit about that, given how more likely it is for the lte microcell to be faster than the backhaul compared to 3g or 2g microcell.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    On WiFi calling reliability: I’ve had it work flawlessly on satellite WiFi (Dish, 700ms ping, 6 down, 1 or 2 up) at my bomb shelter of a cabin with 6” thick concrete walls and triple pane windows. YMMV.

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by balleron24z View Post
    I'm going to respectfully disagree with your experience being anything other than the network/environment, except in rare cases of there being an IMS backbone issue.
    I can tell you that you're wrong, because I know 100% from personal experience that Wi-Fi calling is flaky. I think the main issue, although probably not the only issue is that it doesn't have the threshold set correctly, and it will often flip back and forth, seemingly at random, since there is no way to prefer Wi-Fi calling, which would be the simple and obvious solution.

Someone in the sticks trying to use a 2+ mile loop DSL to Century Link on an already overloaded local hub is going to have a worse time than someone in Raleigh on Google Fiber.
    It's flaky as heck at my parents' house with their rock solid 250/10 Comcast connection. Ironically, one of the most reliable times that I've seen it was a mix of AT&T and Verizon phones sharing a 3mbps ~10kft DSL connection in an area with very weak AT&T and no Verizon service.

I'm not trying to argue with you, SoxFan76, we're both passionate about wireless tech. I've gotten into many discussions here on HW and have butted heads with many folks, it happens. But this argument is along the lines of general frustration with service providers, it's not specific to WiFi Calling. There are so many factors that affect even companies that provide electric, water, cable, fiber, cell service, etc. and there are always going to be outliers that have issues with one company that don't happen on another. All I'm saying is, I very rarely, if ever, see folks complaining about WiFi Calling as it's generally stable enough that it's not frustrating to use. Considering I've got 7 people I know that reside in different states that know I'm a nerd and they've not complained to me once about WiFi Calling says that it's not a grand-scale problem, and it's isolated.
    I'm not arguing with you, because I've seen it first hand, and it's pretty flaky. I've set it up for a number of people, and they have used it, since it's better than a very weak cell signal or no cell service at all, but I can tell you that it's not reliable. I often have to manually flip back and forth between Wi-Fi calling and LTE, and my mom has constant problems with it on her phone. An LTE microcell would be a HUGE help in getting reliable service in a weak area if they can't figure out how to fix the software/firmware/network that is behind Wi-Fi calling.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    WiFi calling has been rock solid for me. I use a Comcast 70Mbps connection.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max using Tapatalk
    Hartford, CT Area

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2