Thread: PPC says they won't support my phone after 2019. Maybe you, too.

Device(s)
    LG Optima Fuel
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score

PPC says they won't support my phone after 2019. Maybe you, too.

At the moment I've got an HTC One M8 on PPC, and PPC's support weenie has just told me they will no longer support my phone after the end of the year because it isn't VoLTE-capable. To think that just five years ago this was HTC's flagship model.

I've had a total of three LG Optimus Fuel LG34Cs that I used for years as my bicycling-specific phone because A) they were cheap, B) it's tiny but powerful enough to run Map My Ride, and C) I could get 100 minutes of talk with a 120-day expiration from PPC for $10. All of which made it ideal for something just to make emergency calls on when I was riding. But the last of those gave up the ghost and I thought I'd go back to the phone that had been my EDC before the HTC, a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime. It's not as tiny as the LG34C but it is some smaller than the HTC M8, and it currently doesn't have a job, so I thought I'd try to re-activate it an use it in place of my Optimus Fuel(s).

When I tried to activate its MEID, PPC responded, "This phone is not VoLTE capable and not eligible for activation with Page Plus."

So I telephoned PPC (why don't they do "live chat" support any more?). The obvious follow-up question to "what the heck is VoLTE?" was "Does my current EDC have VoLTE, and if not, does that mean at some future point you're going to kick me to the curb?" His answer to "what the heck is VoLTE?" was some mumbo-jumbo that sounded like it came from a sales brochure (or maybe a Hallmark card) that I couldn't make head nor tails of.

But the upshot to the conversation was his answer to my second question. He told me they were going to discontinue service to my EDC, the HTC One M8, at the end of this year.

I find this mighty uppity for a bottom feeder MVNO, to be "obsoleting" my phone. Especially since the "deadline" is only three months away and they've not bothered to warn anyone (me, anyway) that I'm either going to HAVE TO buy a new(er) phone or take my business elsewhere.

At the moment, Door #2 is the preferred choice.

EDIT:
    I see now that Verizon is shutting down their CDMA network at the end of the year, so I'm guessing that's what's driving this.

However, I also have found at least one source that states my EDC (HTC One M8) is VoLTE capable.

However, it also states that not only is my HTC M8 is VoLTE capable, so is my Samsung Galaxy Core Prime. So now I'm officially confused. As if there was ever any doubt.
    Murphy was an optimist

Feedback Score
    VoLTE has been discussed extensively here and in the Tracfone threads and elsewhere since last year. The PPC website even had it under support for awhile. Verizon and their MVNOs didn't do a great job getting the word out but these forums have.

PPC still has chat. Go to Activate screen and the link will pop up there.

No new activations of none VoLTE started earlier this year for Vzw and any Vzw MVNOs.
    Latest for Verizon "directly" is end of 2020 for no more use of currently active none VoLTE.
    Latest mention on Vzw MVNO's (at least the Tracfone companies) is summer of 2020.
    Many reps at PP still don't know what does and doesn't work etc. Enter the IMEI in the activation screen on PPC and it should tell you. But you'll likely need a new SIM.
    Do chat with another rep.

For future reference you're better off following the Tracfone forum too. Better info on all Movil companies. Keep in mind Page Plus = Tracfone.
    Last edited by rpz1; 09-28-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TnSlim View Post
    However, it also states that not only is my HTC M8 is VoLTE capable, so is my Samsung Galaxy Core Prime. So now I'm officially confused. As if there was ever any doubt.
    They might support T-Mobile's VoLTE system, but the phone has to be certified for Verizon's VoLTE and have the software to connect to Verizon's VoLTE system. Look at the Moto G4 Play. There is an unlocked version which does not support Verizon's VoLTE, and the Verizon version which does support Verizon's VoLTE.

Edit: I see that the Galaxy S4 is on the list, but I know that the Verizon Galaxy S4 does not have VoLTE at all because I use to have one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TnSlim View Post
    I would not trust that list. Even the Wikipedia list has errors. The Galaxy Core Prime is not VoLTE capable, at least the TF version.
    Verizon CDMA final shutdown information is not solid. Maybe middle of 2020, maybe end of 2020.
    Activations of non-VoLTE phones may indeed not be allowed at this point. This info has been really poor.

Feedback Score
    Yes the info has and still is really poor. Abysmal even after all this time. It's lucky the OP knows about these forums.
    I never got any type of email or text from PPC like some on other Tracfone companies have. If I didn't wonder in here a year ago, I would never have known and would suddenly have had no service at some point. I'm sure there's still allot of Vzw MVNO users out there that don't buy new phones often that know nothing about it. Even people I know that are on Verizon directly don't know.

Feedback Score
    If it helps, you can buy any of the cheap TracFone or Total Wireless phones out there and activate it on Page Plus. The TracFone branded LG Rebel 3 is only $10 right now (reconditioned) and a great phone for the price.