Thread: Survey offer from tracfone - real or phishing?

Feedback Score

Survey offer from tracfone - real or phishing?

I received the following email, purporting to be an offer to take a survey for tracfone. The message source shows it was received from a11-75.smtp-out.amazonses.com (part of Amazon Simple Email Service). I wouldn't mind taking part in a real survey. I have emailed a copy of the email to amazon and Engine Surveys to ask if it is legit - couldn't fine a working email address to ask TF.

Note - I have removed user-specific data from the links in the quoted email.

Thanks for any insight on this.

Subject: Amazon Gift Card for your participation in a ​Tracfone​ Customer Survey
    Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 10:11:48 +0000
    Reply-To: [email protected]
    To: <my email address>

Engine is conducting this survey on behalf of Tracfone Your participation will help them to continue to improve your Tracfone products and services! As a token of appreciation, respondents who qualify and complete this survey will receive a $5.00 Amazon Gift card. We estimate that it should take about 20 minutes to complete the survey. So thank you for sharing your opinions.

Please be assured that this survey is for research and information purposes only. All responses from you will be kept in strict confidence and you will not be asked to buy anything today or in the future as a result of this survey.
    Your prompt reply is appreciated as the survey will be filled on a first come first served basis.
    In some cases, after you have entered a response and have chosen to move forward to the next question, you may not be able to return to the previous page of the survey. Please review each question and your responses carefully before proceeding.
    Begin Survey.​​

[hr][/hr] Engine is a leading global marketing services organization www.EngineGroup.com​​.
    If you can't click on the survey link above, please copy and paste the following URL into your web browser:
    https://survey.enginesurveys.com/startez.asp?cluster=W&Project=US3003959&Id=xxxxxx& i.user1=xx&epost=x

We respect your time and privacy If you do not wish to participate, please click on the link below and you will be removed from our list and any future reminders for this survey.
    Unsubscribe

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    When in doubt throw it out. I recommend you don't open any of the links.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by veriztd; 09-30-2019 at 02:07 PM.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phone_bob View Post
    The message source shows it was received from a11-75.smtp-out.amazonses.com (part of Amazon Simple Email Service). I wouldn't mind taking part in a real survey.
    The survey company looks legit. And using Amazon's services is pretty common now. The url looks ok too. No funny redirects or fake names.

Tried to follow and it says no mobile browsers.

Feedback Score
    It wants to know about recent purchases in certain categories.

I clicked Other for the categories and gave my age as 99 and it booted me off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    It wants to know about recent purchases in certain categories.

I clicked Other for the categories and gave my age as 99 and it booted me off.
    LOL.. Good job!!..

Feedback Score
    I clicked on the link and got:

Unfortunately, this survey cannot be taken on a mobile device. Please click next and use the same survey link on a laptop or desktop computer.
    Note to TracFone: do you realize that many of your customers have smartphones now?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This morning, I was just looking in the email that I setup for my grandma's phone account, and I found this same email for it said it was for Total Wireless.

Feedback Score
    Update - I received a direct message about this from AlexTrac. It said
    TracFone is not held responsible for the dissemination of this survey. Should you have further queries or clarifications, feel free to chat with us at http://bit.ly/2qdrKHH.
    Since it didn't explicitly say that the survey wasn't legit, just that TF would not take responsibility, I followed up with a chat. The chat rep. similarly said

Tracfone: Thank you for visiting Tracfone today. How may I help you?
    Me: I received an email from a group calling itself "Engine Surveys" asking me to complete a survey on behalf of Tracfone. Is this a legitimate survey?
    Amier: Thank you for visiting TracFone Wireless.
    Amier: Hi phone_bob
    Amier: I will be more than happy to assist you with that.
    Amier: Before we proceed, would you like to participate in a short survey base on how I assisted you after our conversation?
    Me: No, thank you.
    Amier: You are welcome.
    Amier: I apologize, but we do not have information about an ongoing survey from other channel since our customer representatives will be the one who will offer it to you just like what I did earlier.
    Me: So I should assume the email is a scam or phishing attempt. Is there some way I can report it to Tracfone?
    Amier: Yes.
    Amier: I highly recommend to disregard it for now.
    Me: Is there any way for me to report details to TracFone? Most companies have an email address tfor that.
    Amier:I apologize, but we do not have email address where you may send about it.
    Amier: However, I will be able to provide an address where you may mail it.
    Amier: Our mailing address is TracFone Wireless, Inc. 9700 NW 112th Avenue Miami, FL 33178.
    Me: Thank you.
    Amier:You are welcome.
    I'm glad they gave me some indication, even if they were so reluctant to explicitly call it out as fraud. I don't think I'll bother to send them a hard copy of the phishing email. They're clearly not going to do anything with it.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Like any TF rep would have a clue.

Truly the last people I'd ask.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Like any TF rep would have a clue.
    I received the same message today. It was to the email address that I have on file with tracfone.
    However I think I am gonna ignore the survey request.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weiden1 View Post
    I received the same message today. It was to the email address that I have on file with tracfone.
    However I think I am gonna ignore the survey request.
    Same here. Email was sent to an address that I don't use for many things. It's so infrequently used that I don't even get spam on it. Most likely from TracFone, or they gave it to someone, unless they were hacked.

Carrier(s)
    BellSouth Mobility, AirTouch, Cingular, Verizon, StraightTalk, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I dunno about you but I've got survey fatigue.

Seems after most any interaction, purchase, phone encounter, site visit, etc., you're asked to participate in a "brief survey" to "help us improve".

The way it's been going, I wouldn't be surprised if asked to fill one out after coming out of a stall in the men's room!

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I just got the survey offer from Page Plus Cellular (same deal). Undecided on whether I'm responding or not.

Feedback Score
    I filled out the survey on 9/29 and received a $5 amazon gift card code on 10/8.