Phone
    v3xx
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Slow Wifi on Apple devices when browsing using AT&T Uverse

I have an iphone 8+. At home on LTE (AT&T wireless) I can browse the internet with no hesitation or hiccups. This is only at about 6 mbps.

However, when I use my wifi on AT&T Uverse (75mbps down by the way), it's very inconsistent. Sometimes it can take up to 15 seconds just to go to a website! That reminds me of old dial up!

It's not just on my phone. The slow wifi browsing speeds are also seen on my daughter's ipad and my wife's ip10.

What is the deal? We are paying around $60/month for our internet. I don't feel we should have to use our LTE when at home.

Suggestions on how to speed up wifi when browsing? I'm thinking of switching to Spectrum, but when it was Time Warner we always had issues (inconsistent speeds, going out every month, etc). Uverse has been rock solid as far as the wired connection goes and for non-ios devices.

Thoughts and suggestions please! Thanks

Phone
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So is this happening only when you use Apple devices over your home WiFi? Or everything?

If you're familiar with changing the WiFi channel on your router, that might help. Or maybe try restarting your router. Or relocating it. You might also have another device running in the same frequency range that could be disrupting your WiFi. For example, when my daughter's monitoring camera transmits it significantly slows down my WiFi until it turns off again.

Phone
    v3xx
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frail View Post
    So is this happening only when you use Apple devices over your home WiFi? Or everything?

If you're familiar with changing the WiFi channel on your router, that might help. Or maybe try restarting your router. Or relocating it. You might also have another device running in the same frequency range that could be disrupting your WiFi. For example, when my daughter's monitoring camera transmits it significantly slows down my WiFi until it turns off again.
    Thanks for the reply.

Well, we only have iOS devices are far as browsing the Internet goes. I have a Roku player that’s usually fine. It has gone blurry due to poor connection a couple of times, but usually it’s great.

Some things are wired (blu-Ray player, Apple TV) so can’t comment there.

How can LTE at 6 mbps down be so much faster and consistent than WiFi at 50mbps down?

I’m thinking of switching to Spectrum (or at least give them a trial run for a month if possible). I know that may bring its own headaches. AT&T has been rock solid as far as the wired connection goes.

Phone
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you have a device with an ethernet port you can plug-in to your router and run a speed test that would tell you if the problem is on the wireless or the wired side. If it’s on the wireless side you can try one of the things I suggested above as it could be interference that is causing the slowdown. If it’s on the wired side then there might just be too many people on the network or an issue that you need to call AT&T about.

Phone
    v3xx
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frail View Post
    If you have a device with an ethernet port you can plug-in to your router and run a speed test that would tell you if the problem is on the wireless or the wired side. If it’s on the wireless side you can try one of the things I suggested above as it could be interference that is causing the slowdown. If it’s on the wired side then there might just be too many people on the network or an issue that you need to call AT&T about.
    I looked on the AT&T forums, and it sounds like it's a common problem. Apple devices don't seem to play well with AT&T Uverse's equipment.

I can be the only one home, right next to the router, and my internet browsing from web site to web site will be slow. Sometimes it's fine (usually only after a modem restart). I was at my nephew's apartment (uses Spectrum), and on wifi my phone was flying through the Internet (just like it does on AT&T).

An AT&T tech came out, and he said everything looked good on their end.

I think I'll give Spectrum a trial run if possible.