Thread: Not actually reliable?

Feedback Score

Angry Not actually reliable?

Hi,

So thought I would start a thread on this after switching to Telus myself with my partner on Public mobile. I'm coming from Virgin (Bell essentially) which has literally been a rock solid network and he's coming from Fido (which has its own problems mind you). Since switching in the past 3 or so months we've had:

• - Dropped calls on both cellular and WiFi (for me)
    • - Slow data for no apparent reason (me)
    • - Texts will sometimes fail to send (me)
    • - 1B3 The number you are calling is not equipped for incoming calls (him)

I'm slowly realizing in this whole Bellus' Alliance it was Bell that's the reliable one and they just happen to share the radio access to the tower - and that's it. Seems like everything (and I mean everything) else it their own separate systems from text delivery, call routing to billing and supported network features.

Since Bell is more reliable and the pricing is surprisingly actually a bit cheaper (roaming for example) (still $75 for 10GB + dialup speeds there after) and Lucky mobile has the cheap plans he is looking for, kinda makes sense for us just to switch to those when the right promotion comes out.

How's everyone else's experience? Please state the network you've switched from.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I know several people on Telus subsidiaries Public Mobile and Koodo (and have a Koodo line as a frequently lent backup myself). None of us have ever experienced these symptoms.

I did hear about PM having a pattern of dropped calls earlier this year (2019) for some users, but Telus addressed the issue.

I'm not sure why the two of you would be experiencing these issues. But regardless, Lucky does have the best prepaid offerings right now, matching PM but also having unlimited low speed data after high speed allotment is used. The problems that you have on Telus sound sporadic and hard to address, so I'd switch right now if I were you. It's probably not worth it as individual subscribers to wait for solutions.

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    Your experience is not typical; could be a handset or profile configuration issue related to the port. Either t-shoot with DNA, or if that’s too much hassle, port back when Virgin retentions comes calling with a ‘winback’ offer.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I’ve been with Telus for over 4 years and never had a network problem. I came from Bell before that and my experience has been the same rock solid reliability I had with Bell. Great coverage, fast speed, excellent voice reliability with both providers.

You are correct though, in that Bell and Telus share the RAN (radio part of the network) but each have/manage their own separate cores - switching, routing, billing, etc. From what I’ve heard, and from my own experience, they each have very similar cores and run them similarly.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Not actually reliable?

Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    ... I'm coming from Virgin (Bell essentially) which has literally been a rock solid network ...

How's everyone else's experience? Please state the network you've switched from.
    I also switched from Virgin Mobile to TELUS almost two and half years ago. Virgin Mobile was rock solid and TELUS continues to be rock solid.

I’ve used TELUS with a Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone SE, and now a Samsung Galaxy S9. No issues at all with any of those three phones. Wi-Fi Calling worked perfectly on my iPhone SE, and is working perfectly now on my Samsung Galaxy S9.

Are you and your partner on the “No Overage” plan (before July 2) or the “Peace of Mind” plan (introduced July 2)? From what I’ve read here, RedFlagDeals and Reddit, TELUS really rushed these plans as Rogers took them by surprise. TELUS rushed their “No Overage” plans so much that they didn’t get around to throttling data once users reached their high-speed data limit. TELUS fixed this with their “Peace of Mind” plans.

I was reading recently that someone’s TELUS plan was messed up so badly, and TELUS could not figure it out. TELUS finally had to give him a brand new number and now things seem to be working fine.

Anyway, I’m not on the rushed-to-market “No Overage” or “Peace of Mind” plans so my TELUS service continues to be rock solid.
    TELUS: Unlimited Canada Talk & Text, 15+10 GB Data
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
    AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play, LG Q6, Umidigi A3 Pro dual sim,
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Public Mobile, Wind, Fido
    Feedback Score
    I switched from Mobilicity to Bell to Public Mobile to Koodo on one line and from Wind to Public on my partner's line which I pay for.
    I got pushed from $40 4 GB lte Public to $40 6 GB Koodo but got a $300 Walmart gift card for a $240 tab plus $100 credit.
    The Public plans are both $15 for 100 mins, unlimited incoming minutes, unlimited international texts 250MB data minus loyalty discounts ($2 autopay, $1 referral, $1 per year.) I bought her a 1GBdata block which she only used half in over a year. Now the 250 MB/mo is enough.

I have an Umidigi A3 Pro dual sim ($98 all in including case and screen protector) using Public on one sim and my Fido 3 GB data tablet plan on the other sim. ($7.50 mo for 2 years).

The only problem was when I switched my Public plan from $10 to $15 I could no longer make outgoing calls. (although I have Fongo on the Fido sim for backup) It took a half hour to sign up to the community, flag a moderator and get it fixed. Quicker than being on hold.
    Koodo 6GB Canada-wide $40, Fido Tablet Plan 3GB $7.50, Public Mobile 100mins unlimited international texts, 250MB data $13/mo, Fido and Public together on dual sim A3 Pro

Device(s)
    Honor 7X, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hi,

So thought I would start a thread on this after switching to Telus myself with my partner on Public mobile. I'm coming from Virgin (Bell essentially) which has literally been a rock solid network and he's coming from Fido (which has its own problems mind you). Since switching in the past 3 or so months we've had:

• - Dropped calls on both cellular and WiFi (for me)
    • - Slow data for no apparent reason (me)
    • - Texts will sometimes fail to send (me)
    • - 1B3 The number you are calling is not equipped for incoming calls (him)

I'm slowly realizing in this whole Bellus' Alliance it was Bell that's the reliable one and they just happen to share the radio access to the tower - and that's it. Seems like everything (and I mean everything) else it their own separate systems from text delivery, call routing to billing and supported network features.

Since Bell is more reliable and the pricing is surprisingly actually a bit cheaper (roaming for example) (still $75 for 10GB + dialup speeds there after) and Lucky mobile has the cheap plans he is looking for, kinda makes sense for us just to switch to those when the right promotion comes out.

It says HSPA is not reliable, did you try 3G only or LTE?
    I switched to PM from Rogers and it's much better coverage. Also Telus recently scored the highest than Bell in Fastest Networks Canada test:

Telus also has “a highly optimized core network for routing connections through the internet, which seems to have made the critical difference in some of our cities,” PCMag said.

Read more at MobileSyrup.com: Telus wins big again in PCMag’s Fastest Networks Canada test
    https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/09/26/p...k-canada-test/
    Tired of huge cell phone bills?I can help!Please,check and like my FB page below
    https://www.facebook.com/CellPhoneSaver

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    I also switched from Virgin Mobile to TELUS almost two and half years ago. Virgin Mobile was rock solid and TELUS continues to be rock solid.

Are you and your partner on the “No Overage” plan (before July 2) or the “Peace of Mind” plan (introduced July 2)? From what I’ve read here, RedFlagDeals and Reddit, TELUS really rushed these plans as Rogers took them by surprise. TELUS rushed their “No Overage” plans so much that they didn’t get around to throttling data once users reached their high-speed data limit. TELUS fixed this with their “Peace of Mind” plans.

I was reading recently that someone’s TELUS plan was messed up so badly, and TELUS could not figure it out. TELUS finally had to give him a brand new number and now things seem to be working fine.

Anyway, I’m not on the rushed-to-market “No Overage” or “Peace of Mind” plans so my TELUS service continues to be rock solid.
    Yes, that lucky individual was me. The source of the issues was a badly ported number. With the new number, all issues are resolved. So you could say there is a level of incompetence at Telus performing certain tasks but their network, from my limited experience with them, has been flawless. I was previously with Koodo for 8 months and previous to that, Virgin for 6 years. Never any issues whatsoever with any of them until the Telus porting fiasco. As far as I can tell, both Bell and Telus have outstanding networks.

I am on the Peace of Mind plan with Telus but the plan should not affect the reliability or stability of the service. I still have not gone over my "fast data" bucket to see just how usable the throttled speed is. Maybe I'll go nuts on the last day of my cycle and find out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_wisdom View Post
    It says HSPA is not reliable, did you try 3G only or LTE?
    For some reason there is no Telus: label...

Device(s)
    Honor 7X, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    For some reason there is no Telus: label...
    I didn't understand what you trying to say...

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2 & iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    For what it's worth, I've been on TELUS in BC for almost 20 years and don't think I've ever experienced those symptoms.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    I have major problems sending MMS on Koodo, but they go through on WiFi. Though I suspect the videos may be too large. There's not much help for this on the various Telus customer support sites.