Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MNVO to accept Verizon S4?

Feedback Score

MNVO to accept Verizon S4?

My kids have been using an old Cosmos flip phone for texting/calling and its worked great for emergencies. But alas it won't work after the end of this year. We have an old Verizon S4 that I'd like them to be able to use. Right now we (parent's phones) have Red Pocket. On their website, they say they only want HD voice enabled phones for CDMA sims. I"m pretty sure the S4 isn't HD enabled, nor have the capabilities. How can I make this phone work come Jan 2020? Right now the Cosmos is on Expo Mobile for super cheap minutes/texts, since its just for emergency use. Are there any cheap plans/mvno's out there that will accept an old S4? I'm concerned porting over to redpocket won't work due to no HD voice. Would it work on ATT mvno's? Any thoughts? The phone is needed only for emergencies, quick calls and texts, but I do need minutes on it since they'll be in locations without wifi.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbaah View Post
    My kids have been using an old Cosmos flip phone for texting/calling and its worked great for emergencies. But alas it won't work after the end of this year. We have an old Verizon S4 that I'd like them to be able to use. Right now we (parent's phones) have Red Pocket. On their website, they say they only want HD voice enabled phones for CDMA sims. I"m pretty sure the S4 isn't HD enabled, nor have the capabilities. How can I make this phone work come Jan 2020? Right now the Cosmos is on Expo Mobile for super cheap minutes/texts, since its just for emergency use. Are there any cheap plans/mvno's out there that will accept an old S4? I'm concerned porting over to redpocket won't work due to no HD voice. Would it work on ATT mvno's? Any thoughts? The phone is needed only for emergencies, quick calls and texts, but I do need minutes on it since they'll be in locations without wifi.
    Verizon has extended the end of CDMA to the end of 2020.

Don't know if any Vz MVNOs will still take a S4 that does not have HD voice/VoLTE. Vz and Vz prepaid will not. I thought I had heard that they will allow MVNOs to take non-VoLTE until mid-2020. Maybe Page Plus or Selectel. You could check prepaidcompare.net for Vz MVNOs. The MVNOs generally will have an activation checker.

The S4 is pretty much a dead end. It is unlocked for GSM. It only has bands 4 and 13 for LTE. You could get LTE on band 4 with T-mobile and you can get HSPA data on AT&T and T-Mobile. Without UMTS you would not get voice and text on AT&T. You could get 2G GSM voice and text with T-Mobile, but they focus their network on LTE and 2G could be spotty.

I would not trust the functionality of a S4 on GSM for my child's safety. If you can find a MVNO to activate it with CDMA it should be ok and usable for over a year. That is ok at best and not ideal since Vz appears to be not repairing the CDMA network if it fails.

I have a Vz S4 and retired it to an around the house micro tablet on Wifi.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Verizon has extended the end of CDMA to the end of 2020.

Don't know if any Vz MVNOs will still take a S4 that does not have HD voice/VoLTE. Vz and Vz prepaid will not. I thought I had heard that they will allow MVNOs to take non-VoLTE until mid-2020. Maybe Page Plus or Selectel. You could check prepaidcompare.net for Vz MVNOs. The MVNOs generally will have an activation checker.

The S4 is pretty much a dead end. It is unlocked for GSM. It only has bands 4 and 13 for LTE. You could get LTE on band 4 with T-mobile and you can get HSPA data on AT&T and T-Mobile. Without UMTS you would not get voice and text on AT&T. You could get 2G GSM voice and text with T-Mobile, but they focus their network on LTE and 2G could be spotty.

I would not trust the functionality of a S4 on GSM for my child's safety. If you can find a MVNO to activate it with CDMA it should be ok and usable for over a year. That is ok at best and not ideal since Vz appears to be not repairing the CDMA network if it fails.

I have a Vz S4 and retired it to an around the house micro tablet on Wifi.

Good luck
    Thanks! I'll have to research a bit to see if any verizon mvno's will take it. And maybe i'll just keep the Cosmos going since CDMA will still work until the end of 2020. Thanks again!

Feedback Score
    PagePlusCellular will likely accept the S4, on Verizon-- at least my older non-HD phone passes their check. $10 for 166 minutes, good for 120 days. Select 'Activate' from the top menu bar, and the next page will be an IMEI test page for acceptability.

I believe that Tracfone will accept the S4 on Verizon, too.
    Check here: https://www.tracfone.com/activation/coveragecheck

I think the cheapest Tracfone Verizon-network plan is to buy the $50 annual plan from their Ebay store.
    If you're worried about the S4 moving forward, you might look at the Tracfone offers on HSN or QVC.
    HSN.com currently has a couple of $60 deals that include a new decent phone & a year of service. The phones are definitely HD capable.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    PagePlusCellular will likely accept the S4, on Verizon-- at least my older non-HD phone passes their check. $10 for 166 minutes, good for 120 days. Select 'Activate' from the top menu bar, and the next page will be an IMEI test page for acceptability.

Check here: https://www.tracfone.com/activation/coveragecheck

I think the cheapest Tracfone Verizon-network plan is to buy the $50 annual plan from their Ebay store.
    If you're worried about the S4 moving forward, you might look at the Tracfone offers on HSN or QVC.
    HSN.com currently has a couple of $60 deals that include a new decent phone & a year of service. The phones are definitely HD capable.
    I had a Verizon Galaxy S4 on Straight Talk. About two months or so ago, I tried to reactivate it, and I could not. It said that it did not have VoLTE. I have not checked lately since the new date info came out tho.

Feedback Score

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post

Check here:

Thanks! I'll try PP. I'm not too worried about the S4 future. Just wanted to use it for maybe a year or two for the tweens in the home, for emergencies. I know we'll need to upgrade them at some point. Just want to use what we have now if its possible. PP sounds hopeful. And I like that $10 price, that's all we need at this point. Thanks for the suggestion!

Feedback Score
    Just FYI for others searching: i tried the S4 IMEI with PP and it won't work. "This phone is not VoLTE capable and not eligible for activation with Page Plus."

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Unless some phones somehow slip through, NO non-VoLTE (HD Voice) phones can be activated on Vzw anywhere.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I had a Verizon Galaxy S4 on Straight Talk. About two months or so ago, I tried to reactivate it, and I could not. It said that it did not have VoLTE. I have not checked lately since the new date info came out tho.
    The Galaxy S4 never did have VoLTE, came out on the S5. Users on both Straight Talk and Tracfone have got notices the end of CDMA is Summer of 2020.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The Galaxy S4 never did have VoLTE, came out on the S5. Users on both Straight Talk and Tracfone have got notices the end of CDMA is Summer of 2020.
    You must of misunderstood me. I know the Verizon Galaxy S4 did not have VoLTE. I had a Verizon Galaxy S4 active years ago before the VoLTE requirement. It started to show issues, and replaced it with a J3 Sky which got VoLTE.

Then a few months ago, when people was talking about Straight Talk/Tracfone was enforcing the VoLTE requirement, I thought I would try reactivating it to see what would happen, and I got that message that it did not have VoLTE.

So that is why I put my two cents in this thread when someone said to try Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    You must of misunderstood me. I know the Verizon Galaxy S4 did not have VoLTE. I had a Verizon Galaxy S4 active years ago before the VoLTE requirement. It started to show issues, and replaced it with a J3 Sky which got VoLTE.

Then a few months ago, when people was talking about Straight Talk/Tracfone was enforcing the VoLTE requirement, I thought I would try reactivating it to see what would happen, and I got that message that it did not have VoLTE.

So that is why I put my two cents in this thread when someone said to try Tracfone.

I believe timing is everything.

I know it's the common wisdom that we can't activate non-VoLTE verizon phones anywhere anymore.
    but.....
    When the Tracfone group originally banned new activations of non-VoLTE phones, I tested the 3 I have there, and they all failed.
    Verizon later extended the timeframe before they kick off non-VoLTE phones from the network. Although I never saw an announcement modifying that earlier non-VoLTE activation ban, the same 3 non-VoLTE phones started passing the BYOD activation check again this July, and still do as of today.
    I just tried one non-VoLTE factory-unlocked device on Tracfone, Straight Talk, PagePlus & Verizon's BYOD test, and it clears for activation on all 4.

I'm not sure why my phones would clear, and the S4's aren't clearning-- unless it's possibly branding.
    Here: a factory-unlocked non-VoLTE Moto clears on all the providers above. 2 Non-VoLTE Tracfone-brandede phones clear for activation on Tracfone, and the one that hasn't been activated previously asks me if I want to switch it to Straight Talk branding when I try the form there.
    I did not actually activate any of these, so I suppose they might fail at that point.

jenbaah, I'm sorry the S4 didn't clear on Page Plus for you! Did you check Tracfone?

If anyone else has a non-VoLTE phone that they know won't clear based on tests a few months ago, would you consider testing it again?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    greenhandle, that seems odd. Their systems must be very mixed up.

I tried with several old non VoLTE Vzw phones on PPC, TF, and ST, and all results returned as not compatible.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    greenhandle, that seems odd. Their systems must be very mixed up.

I tried with several old non VoLTE Vzw phones on PPC, TF, and ST, and all results returned as not compatible.
    Boz1, in the interest of accumulating data points-- are those rejected phones Verizon branded? (Originally Verizon prepaid or postpaid phones?)
    The only Verizon-branded non-VoLTE phone I have is a Verizon Prepaid Moto E2, never activated anywhere. It still seems to get rejected on Verizon Prepaid, but can't be checked anywhere else since it was never cleared of the prior-use flag.

My working theory at this point is that the activation restriction was lifted on non-VZW-branded phones, either in error or by design (possibly as an accommodation to MVNOs). If that's the case, it was never formally documented or announced.

You may well be correct that the BYOD test system is just very mixed up. But why would it be very mixed up now, if it was working properly in May? Something changed.

A 3rd possibility is that the check was working correctly in May to reject my phones, and is still working correctly now with my phones newly being VoLTE capable. I don't think this likely, considering the age, manufacturer, and original price of my phones.

(Another data point-- my ancient Tracfone-branded LG Fuel was rejected for reactivation by Tracfone last May. Trac appears willing to reactivate it when checked this morning. I think that rules out the 3rd possibility just above, but definitely leaves plenty of room for the 'very mixed up' theory.)

Feedback Score
    Right now the Cosmos is on Expo Mobile for super cheap minutes/texts, since its just for emergency use.
    Hi jenbaah,

I have an old phone that I want to activate as an emergency phone, and a couple years ago I confirmed that this phone was compatible with Expo Mobile, so it may still be compatible. But I do not know how to activate it and get the "super cheap minutes/texts" you mentioned.

Can you tell me how to do this?

Feedback Score
    We have an old Verizon S4 that I'd like them to be able to use.
    Why?!?
    You can walk into a Best Buy or Walmart and pick up a new AT&T Prepaid LG Phoenix 4 for $40, put a RedPocket GSMA SIM right in it and go. Cheaper phones, cheaper service.

Unless you're in an area with nothing but Verizon coverage... Then you'll need to drop $80 for an LG Rebel 3 from USMobile, but then you can activate it on any Verizon MVNO and it'll keep working for years.

Even if you manage to get an old phone activated, you'll see the coverage get worse and worse, quickly. Might as well activate an old Sprint phone...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast