Thread: Verizon S8 HD voice and Red Pocket

Feedback Score

Verizon S8 HD voice and Red Pocket

So I'm aware of tons of issues with Verizon S8's and Red Pocket. I'm really trying to make the phone work on RP. (Maybe I should give up?) I'm no where near having developer knowledge but through reading much I was able to disable the AutoPreconfig so that the phone actually works now with a RP sim. (RP sim was previously used in a S4. Current customer.) But it's still having issues with LTE and HD Voice. I noticed it'll start the day with no LTE and then randomly it'll turn on. I'm not sure what causes it to toggle on and off. I'd like it to just stay LTE but I'm not sure what to do about it. Also I noticed that Red Pocket mentioned about only accepting phone with HD voice. But when I go to turn on HD voice it only wants to connect to Verizon through some 1.0 thing. There is no "switch" like my S7 has. S8 is recently updated to Pie as of 9/29. I'm willing to experiment (within the phone) with things if someone is willing to explain how I can get HD enabled and keep LTE on. My last resort was to switch it to GSMA on RP. Or if necessary switch MVNO's, but I'd prefer not to do that, unless it's really absolutely necessary. Any thoughts?

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Are you able to set the preferred network type to LTE only? Usually it's in the mobile networks section. For one if my phones on Page Plus, I had to dial on the phone app to get to it *#*#4636#*#*

I realize that Samsung and other name brand phones have their own codes to get into secret menus. There might eve be an app

Also make sure your apn is set correctly. I've not had a problem yet with the couple of phones I've put onto rp Verizon and they usually work with the default vzwinternet. But if you don't check, it's always possible that it's defaulting to some other setting

Another thing I had to do is turn off any settings for wifi calling. That's not available on Verizon mvnos as far as I have heard.

Another odd setting I had to play around with was the enable 4g data. On my phone, I had to toggle it off but had no negative affect. It's counter intuitive. Play with the settings and hopefully you will stumble on the right ones.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Thanks! I just set the preferred network settings to CDMA/LTE. Seems ok so far. I'll have to see how it works tomorrow. I have an S7 on RP, and the APN settings for it vs the S8 are a bit different. APN roaming protocol, Bearer, Mobile virtual network operator type, and Mobile Network operator value are different in S8 than my S7. I'm not sure if any of those are important. I'll have to google those. Thanks for your help!

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I’m genuinely trying to learn about Samsung galaxy s8 function.

Is the s8 just a problematic phone when not “ carrier issued”, ( locked /unlocked, etc...) thus necessitating all of the APN wrangling ? Seems like I’ve read of S8 issues on other providers.

Is Red Pocket a bottom feeder mnvo whose SIM cards have few features ?

Or do Red Pocket CS struggle to make things work due to insufficient systems/ training ?

Or is this just standard procedure for galaxy s8 on RP, and other mvno’s?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    It's probably the phone. Maybe it's the complications of going with an expensive phone on inexpensive service. There have been reports of issues with the s7-9 on Verizon mvnos.

Many users get other phones working easily on mvnos like red pocket. Usually universal phones like the Motorola Moto G series works without a hitch. So I doubt it's the service.

I have gotten 3 Umidigi phones onto Verizon. 2 on RP and 1 on Page Plus. The 2 on RP did not require anything except to turn off wifi calling. Seemed to pick up a default apn that works. The one on Page Plus required some extra work to reveal the apn menu as PP needs the apn set to Tracfone.vzwentp. Another gotcha, Verizon only worked reliably in Sim slot 1 so not able to use it as a microsd card slot. It would work sporadically on sim 2 which was certainly capable but not reliable so I accepted that situation.

We all have hd voice, 4g/lte data and talk and text(sms and mms) working.

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by ShredFred; 10-01-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    It's probably the phone. Maybe it's the complications of going with an expensive phone on inexpensive service. There have been reports of issues with the s7-9 on Verizon mvnos.

Many users get other phones working easily on mvnos like red pocket. Usually universal phones like the Motorola Moto G series works without a hitch. So I doubt it's the service.

I have gotten 3 Umidigi phones onto Verizon. 2 on RP and 1 on Page Plus. The 2 on RP did not require anything except to turn off wifi calling. Seemed to pick up a default apn that works. The one on Page Plus required some extra work to reveal the apn menu as PP needs the apn set to Tracfone.vzwentp. Another gotcha, Verizon only worked reliably in Sim slot 1 so not able to use it as a microsd card slot. It would work sporadically on sim 2 which was certainly capable but not reliable so I accepted that situation.

We all have hd voice, 4g/lte data and talk and text(sms and mms) working.

Thank you, ShredFred - interesting & useful information.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    I’m genuinely trying to learn about Samsung galaxy s8 function.

Is the s8 just a problematic phone when not “ carrier issued”, ( locked /unlocked, etc...) thus necessitating all of the APN wrangling ? Seems like I’ve read of S8 issues on other providers.

Is Red Pocket a bottom feeder mnvo whose SIM cards have few features ?

Or do Red Pocket CS struggle to make things work due to insufficient systems/ training ?

Or is this just standard procedure for galaxy s8 on RP, and other mvno’s?
    From what I've read, It's the phone, and Redpocket's issues. Supposedly the phone reconfigures incorrectly when using RPs sim. RP probably needs to create a different kind of sim for S8, or Verizon needs needs to update something to make the S8 configure much easier.

I don't think they're bottom feeder, but i could be wrong.

Not sure about their CS. from all the time I've spent with them on the phone they haven't been much of a help.

Not sure. The S8 was given to us for free. So....definately trying to get it to work. Hopefully RP works. If not, I'll go elsewhere.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if the S7-S9 has dual sim or eSim capability and if that's related to the issues.

My Umidigi phones are dual sim. The default preferred network is usually global but that setting works for gsm and not necessarily for cdma.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Both of my S8+'s work with RP verizon LTE service including LTEiRA. There was issues ( no cdma/ lte settings) with the July update and before but since the August update came out no problem using LTE. The only caviot is the phone says roaming indicator off instead if Verizon. Can't say for certain how the CDMA side of the service is (1xRTT??) but 4G lte is worrking.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I had a Galaxy note 4 flashed with lineage os that had the carrier label show up as Roaming Indicator off on my Page Plus Sim. I never was able to figure how to edit or add an Apn. I was stuck on 3g/1xx but I could also talk and text. I think it's definitely fixable if you can edit your apn.

But if lte and all functions work, I guess it's just a cosmetic bug.