Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: One to Two Bars in the Norm?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max, Apple iPhone Xs Max, Apple iPhone X, Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It really depends on what part of Southern CA you in. My iPhone Xs Max and Note 9 show about the same number of bars. I am in Monterey Park, CA 91754 which has poor coverage with Verizon / AT&T mostly 1 bar unless you are close to East Los Angeles College where you will have full bars of service. T-Mobile & Sprint work much better here mostly full bars all over town due to denser network. Coverage with Verizon is hit or miss in the surrounding areas East Los Angeles, Alhambra, San Marino, South Pasadena usually 1-2 bars. Data can be extremely slow & good thing voice calls seem to work fine due to VOLTE. However T-Mobile practically has full signals in these same areas. Verizon gave me LTE Network Extender so I have full coverage -68 db in my home Band 13. Verizon does get better in La Puente / West Covina with full signal. I am guessing because the landline carrier in the area is Verizon / Frontier. I am using dual sims Phone Xs Max with Verizon & T-Mobile. I use AT&T for unlimited data on my iPad.

Feedback Score

One to Two Bars in the Norm?

Quote Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post
    It really depends on what part of Southern CA you in. My iPhone Xs Max and Note 9 show about the same number of bars. I am in Monterey Park, CA 91754 which has poor coverage with Verizon / AT&T mostly 1 bar unless you are close to East Los Angeles College where you will have full bars of service. T-Mobile & Sprint work much better here mostly full bars all over town due to denser network. Coverage with Verizon is hit or miss in the surrounding areas East Los Angeles, Alhambra, San Marino, South Pasadena usually 1-2 bars. Data can be extremely slow & good thing voice calls seem to work fine due to VOLTE. However T-Mobile practically has full signals in these same areas. Verizon gave me LTE Network Extender so I have full coverage -68 db in my home Band 13. Verizon does get better in La Puente / West Covina with full signal. I am guessing because the landline carrier in the area is Verizon / Frontier. I am using dual sims Phone Xs Max with Verizon & T-Mobile. I use AT&T for unlimited data on my iPad.
    I live in East LA by Whittier and Arizona and it's full bars LTE for both Verizon and At&t . Your right they both get pretty bad in Monterey Park but overall I found Verizon to be a little better with voice calls in that area . I had At&t completely crap out on me in the LA fitness in Monterey Park were it was showing 1 little bar and data didn't work and also couldn't call out at all calls kept failing and the ones that did manage to connect sounded pretty bad and eventually dropped after about 20 seconds . While Verizon also showed 1 little bar and LTE data was SLOW but usable and I was able to call out fine and it kept the call connected it didn't drop even tho signal was terrible it managed to hang on to the voice call and didn't disconnect. Now i have a friend that works in citadel and things change now its the opposite . Verizon is TERRIBLE there even drops to 1X and inside sketchers I had absolutely no service at all not even 1x obviously Nothing worked calls, texts , data while At&t maintains 2 bars LTE all over citadel and inside stores and everything works fine calls connect fine and don't disconnect and data is not that bad it's quite fast actually. So yeap I noticed here in areas At&t is good Verizon is bad and in areas Verizon is good , At&t is bad .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    A significant cause of the problem in Southern California especially in more affluent areas is the NIMBY problem. Many cities have poor coverage and and not received any new cell sites in over 20 years.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    I am in Southern California and it seems that two bars in quite common and that one bar is not unusual. Note that one bar is still useful on my iPhone X.

What is the experience of other folks here regarding number of bars? Please don’t go into the bars don’t matter discussion as I am well aware of it. Thanks.
    It depends on where you live at. Where I live at 1 to 2 bars is the norm inside my apartment building but I get 4 to 5 bars outside.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek
    I am in Southern California and it seems that two bars in quite common and that one bar is not unusual. Note that one bar is still useful on my iPhone X.
    I think this more of an issue with AT&T than Verizon Wireless with me on my XS Max.
    This is exactly why I have Verizon Wireless.

A significant cause of the problem in Southern California especially in more affluent areas is the NIMBY problem. Many cities have poor coverage and and not received any new cell sites in over 20 years.
    Well, if you are referring to communities along the foot or nested inside the Santa Monica Mountains then yeah, that's a problem because I have never received any decent service with either AT&T or Verizon Wireless. Verizon Wireless has only given me 1x/3G and that in of itself doesn't help at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2