Thread: Roaming in Kentucky?

Device(s)
    iPhone X (Verizon), Pixel 2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    Houston Cellular/Cingular/At&t - (2000-2018) T-Mobile (2018-present, VZW (2011-present)
    Feedback Score

Roaming in Kentucky?

Currently visiting Kentucky and have noticed my phone appears to be staying on some roaming carrier (Extended Network), even though it shows 311-480, which is Verizon. Usually when I see extended the MNC is different. Any ideas what network this is? Been seeing it outside Louisville and Cave City. Is this one of those LTEiRA providers?

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂, Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility & Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Likely Bluegrass Cellular

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Bentley

AT&T's commercial 4G network, with LAA-LTE.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Houston Cellular/Cingular/At&t - (2000-2018) T-Mobile (2018-present, VZW (2011-present)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    Likely Bluegrass Cellular

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It appears they are the provider in this area. Makes more sense now as they appear to be Verizon LTEiRA partner.

Feedback Score
    What data speeds are you getting?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    It used to show as "On Network" but there were too many people in KY going into neighboring cities, signing up for cheaper verizon data plans and essentially "perma roaming" on bluegrass.

Verizon eventually disconnected all of those users and now shows it as "extended network"
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Do you know is bluegrass still full speed on newer plans or 128kbps roaming? I'm curious but all local potential roaming in my area is us cellular (not lteira) so I can't find out.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂, Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility & Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Roaming in Kentucky?

Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Do you know is bluegrass still full speed on newer plans or 128kbps roaming? I'm curious but all local potential roaming in my area is us cellular (not lteira) so I can't find out.

LTEiRA partners are not throttled. They are treated as sort of extended native coverage, if that makes sense.

The only time I can see it being throttled would be if you’re on a tired plan and have exceeded the high-speed data limit.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post

Was not throttled, but was not impressed with the speeds. .5-15Mbps on LTE depending on location. Fair amount of 1X and 3G areas with mostly useless data. Beyond Unlimited plan. Did run about 5-8 gigs on the network and still have full speeds. Back on native VZW now.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You would’ve been on Bluegrass along I-65. They don’t throttle them their speeds just naturally suck along the interstate. Too much B13 only last time I was there. They get a lot better when you go into towns and along rural backroads ironically. Last time I roamed on them in 2018 it showed as native Verizon unless I toggled VoLTE off then it would show “Extended”.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by technoevil View Post
    Was not throttled, but was not impressed with the speeds. .5-15Mbps on LTE depending on location. Fair amount of 1X and 3G areas with mostly useless data.
    That's common depending on where you are. Going south on I-65 you'll enter the Bluegrass area just north of Elizabethtown and won't return to VZW until you get to the Tennessee state line.

Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    You would’ve been on Bluegrass along I-65. They don’t throttle them their speeds just naturally suck along the interstate. Too much B13 only last time I was there. They get a lot better when you go into towns and along rural backroads ironically.
    I won't swear to it but I think their LTE is Band 13 and that's it. The LTE coverage is better than you'll get from the other big three carriers, but the drawback is that it's often saturated and congested to the point that it's of no use.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    All I saw when roaming on them was band 13 for LTE. I did notice when I was on LTE the alpha tag was "Extended Network", and when on 1X or 3G (850 I am assuming) it was "Extended".