Thread: Cell phone newb needs help using phone as hotspot

Feedback Score

Cell phone newb needs help using phone as hotspot

I have a LG G3 VS985 on Verizon (Red Pocket). It works fine for me. I recently watched a video on using your cell phone with a travel router to provide internet access while I am traveling in my RV. I bought the TP-Link AC750 wireless travel router.

I am waiting for it to be delivered. What I don't understand is how the phone is connected to the travel router to provide internet access to my laptop or TV etc. I looked hotspotting my phone in the past and ran in to a brickwall in that Verizon was requiring I signup for a hotspot service. Researching more, I found various ways people had enabled hotspotting, but all of the required rooting my phone. I tried most of their methods and failed. I have the brown thumb when it comes to cell phones.

Can someone explain how this should work or point me to a site that can help explain?

Feedback Score
    forum.xda-developersDOTcom
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smaye View Post
    I have a LG G3 VS985 on Verizon (Red Pocket). It works fine for me. I recently watched a video on using your cell phone with a travel router to provide internet access while I am traveling in my RV. I bought the TP-Link AC750 wireless travel router.

I am waiting for it to be delivered. What I don't understand is how the phone is connected to the travel router to provide internet access to my laptop or TV etc. I looked hotspotting my phone in the past and ran in to a brickwall in that Verizon was requiring I signup for a hotspot service. Researching more, I found various ways people had enabled hotspotting, but all of the required rooting my phone. I tried most of their methods and failed. I have the brown thumb when it comes to cell phones.

Can someone explain how this should work or point me to a site that can help explain?
    First you need a phone and service plan that allows hotspotting/tethering.

Your phone is a Verizon model. The hotspot function on the phone contacts Verizon to see if its service is entitled to hotspot. You are not and can't be on Red Pocket with that phone.

AFAIK, Red Pocket does not restrict hotspotting and will work if the phone allows it.

Some non carrier-branded, carrier agnostic phones will not contact the carrier for hotspot entitlement when the hotspot app is started. My Moto G6 is an example. I can run its hotspot on Tracfone-Verizon. You can web search for other carrier agnostic phones and ask here if anyone knows if they will work.

What happens when a phone is successfully operating as a hotspot is the phone gets mobile data from the cell like it normally would by itself, and the phone runs a Wifi router internally for your other devices to connect to. You don't even need a travel router if you are close enough to the phone. Mine works within about 15 feet.

The hotspot app on phones typically limit you to a few devices connected to the phone Wifi. How many depends on the model of the phone. The typical I have seen is 5 to 8.

Alternatively, the phone hotspot app can operate in USB tether mode where you connect a USB cable between the phone and a computer or router. Not all routers have this capability. The TP-Link AC750 does not appear to have this mode.

It does have "Range Extender" mode. This should work to connect the phone to the router over Wifi with the phone in hotspot mode.

Other considerations:

You mentioned TV. Video uses a lot of data, something like 1 GB an hour for standard definition, 3 GB an hour for high definition. Those are the Netflix numbers, but others are similar.

Hotspotting is easily detectable by the carrier. They may take exception if the service plan is not supposed to allow hotspotting.

RV forums are occasionally mentioned here. Those should be a good source of info on what works.

Good luck