Thread: Porting difficulty because current prepaid number showing as contract?

Feedback Score

Porting difficulty because current prepaid number showing as contract?

I just activated a new prepaid line with AT&T. I called the customer service line to get my previous number ported, and long story short, I was told that my number was listed as a contract/postpaid number and that instead of porting I have to go to a corporate store and ask for a "migration". Thing is, the current plan that my number is on with my old carrier (it's still active) is prepaid. It's with Airvoice; they only do prepaid. So I'm a little confused. I didn't quiz the CS rep too much because I was having a hard time understanding him. It's possible that the number was a postpaid number several carrier moves ago, but I've been doing only prepaid for at least the last 8 years.

Does anyone have any insight on what might be going on here? Is it something I need to worry about? What can I expect from a "migration"? Is it likely to take longer than a basic port?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fornax View Post
    I just activated a new prepaid line with AT&T. I called the customer service line to get my previous number ported, and long story short, I was told that my number was listed as a contract/postpaid number and that instead of porting I have to go to a corporate store and ask for a "migration". Thing is, the current plan that my number is on with my old carrier (it's still active) is prepaid. It's with Airvoice; they only do prepaid. So I'm a little confused. I didn't quiz the CS rep too much because I was having a hard time understanding him. It's possible that the number was a postpaid number several carrier moves ago, but I've been doing only prepaid for at least the last 8 years.

Does anyone have any insight on what might be going on here? Is it something I need to worry about? What can I expect from a "migration"? Is it likely to take longer than a basic port?
    I looked up “migration”, did not get a very clear definition- I take it to mean an “in -house “ transfer of sorts, which would make sense if your account is truly labeled as contract/postpaid.
    Have you had the opportunity to go to an ATT corporate store yet ?
    Air voice is certainly an ATT mvno.
    I once ported a number and the receiver said the number was associated with an mvno I had prior to the then current donor mvno - never did understand that.