Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Page Plus Cellular customer with a warning if you buy a phone from Page Plus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Anyway, did you try activating on PPC with the OTHER IMEI on that iPhone 11? As I understand it, the IMEI for the eSIM probably won't work with Vzw MVNOs.
    That's correct, an eSIM can only be activated by the major carriers. iPhones starting with the X are dual SIM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4s, Samsumg Galaxy S6 Edge+
    Feedback Score
    Hooray! My iPhone 11 Pro now works on Page Plus Cellular.

But........

I was never able to activate by giving PP the IMEI of the new phone.

I also did chat with Red Pocket (Verizon reseller), they checked the IMEI of the phone and also said they could not activate. When I asked "why" I never got a clear answer.

The tech support guy where I bought the phone was very helpful. In trading email I mentioned that I was currently a PP customer using an iPhone 7. He suggested taking the sim from my iPhone 7 and putting it into my new phone. I then used our landline to call my cell number and the new phone rang. Yes!

Of course the big mystery here is why both PP and RP took one look at the IMEI of my phone and said they could not activate it. Fortunately I had a working PP sim I could use. But what about the next person that comes along with a spiffy new iPhone 11 and tries to activate on PP. Wonder if they will have any luck.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelf View Post

Of course the big mystery here is why both PP and RP took one look at the IMEI of my phone and said they could not activate it. Fortunately I had a working PP sim I could use. But what about the next person that comes along with a spiffy new iPhone 11 and tries to activate on PP. Wonder if they will have any luck.
    The iPhone 11 is really new, so maybe the MVNOs don't have the the Verizon "white list" information for it yet.

I think the term "IMEI" is incorrectly being used here. IMEI is a universal number identifying a particular phone. A SIM card has a model number and an identification number (ICCID), which have no connection to the phone's IMEI until the time of activation on the carrier. If a PPC CSR wanted the IMEI number of a SIM card, they are full of it. I bet they don't even know about the dual SIMs on new iPhones.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Both PP and RP asked for the IMEI of the cell phone, not the IMEI of the sim card.
    I gave then both the IMEI of my new cell phone.
    Both PP and RP said they could not activate.

But as described in my next earlier post, I used my existing PP sim card (from an iPhone 7) in order to 'wake up' my iPhone 11 pro.

Feedback Score
    But you never said if you were giving PP or RP the correct imei if its a dual sim/esim phone? Unless I missed it.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Please remember that the phone stores the IMEI but the SIM card does not have an IMEI. As pointed out earlier the numbers are not the same amount of digits. There is NO SIM IMEI. If you say that you will only confuse the situation.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelf View Post

The tech support guy where I bought the phone was very helpful. In trading email I mentioned that I was currently a PP customer using an iPhone 7.
    How did you contact the "independent distributor"? Page Plus states they have no responsibility to these sellers. Who did you actually pay?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Please remember that the phone stores the IMEI but the SIM card does not have an IMEI. As pointed out earlier the numbers are not the same amount of digits. There is NO SIM IMEI. If you say that you will only confuse the situation.
    I believe Jeff means the IMEI of the SIM card slot vs the IMEI for the eSIM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    How did you contact the "independent distributor"? Page Plus states they have no responsibility to these sellers. Who did you actually pay?
    The weird thing about https://www.pagepluscellular.com/phones/ is there is phones from https://www.pagepluscellular.com/ and https://www.pageplusphonestore.com/ on the same page. Looks like the iPhone 11 Pro that Jelf bought is from https://www.pageplusphonestore.com/ side of the page. So technically it looks like there is two different resellers that could be contacted on that page.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I bought my phone from https://www.pageplusphonestore.com/. Free shipping and no sales tax. Whoever those people are, their website represents that all the phones they sell can be activated on Page Plus Cellular. The tech support guy told me that my phone is 100% unlocked.

But for reasons that remain unclear to me, staff at both Page Plus and Red Pocket said they could not activate my phone. During various attempts to activate I was told the phone was "not compatible" or that it lacked VoLTE support. That second reason is nonsense. Any state-of-the-art cell phone supports VoLTE. Maybe this is just a temporary problem since the phone is so new - but that is just a guess.

I was ready to send the phone back and insist on a full refund when the tech support guy where I bought the phone suggested taking the PP sim from my iPhone 7 and putting it into my iPhone 11. That solved my problem and also demonstrated my poor understanding about sim cards and IMEI numbers. I had *assumed* that my cell number was somehow tied to my iPhone 7 and that someone at PP would have to do something to move my number to my new phone. Then yesterday I learned that apparently my cell number is not tied to my iPhone 7 but instead is tied to the sim card that was in my iPhone 7. And, if I understand correctly, I can put that sim card into any unlocked CDMA phone and my current cell number should work on that phone. Do I have that right?

Sorry for the confusion I caused about IMEI numbers. It turns out that my phone has dual sims. There is a tray that can take a physical nano sim and there is also an eSim. I did a google search this morning to learn about eSim. When I go into settings > general > about, and scroll to the bottom I see "Digital Sim" followed by "IMEI" and a 15 digit number.

When trying to activate I first gave the reps the IMEI of the phone then I tried the IMEI of the eSim. I now understand that the PP plans do not work with the eSim.

Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score
    Off topic, but I still don't understand this matter of the IMEI. As loboheeler mentions above, isn't the IMEI a unique number for the handset only? Does the SIM card slot have its own IMEI and the eSIM another? Thanks in advance for the clarification.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Correct. I know more now than when I started the thread.

Feedback Score
    Traditional dual SIM phones, meaning phones with two actual IM card slots, have two IMEIs.

I followed that fact to thinking that dual SIM devices with an eSIM and one traditional SIM card slot would also have two IMEIs.

If I'm wrong about that, I hope someone will correct me.
    That makes some sense. Phones made for the US market usually don't have dual SIMs, and eSIM is pretty new.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Not entirely true. The new iPhones have an eSIM. Some US carriers don't provision them yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    That makes some sense. Phones made for the US market usually don't have dual SIMs, and eSIM is pretty new.
    Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    @OP

Suggest returning your iPhone while you still can, for two reasons: a) It's probably not certified for VZW because it's a gray market model, hence the "no VoLTE" issue, and b) warranty service may be a problem.

Apples makes iPhones for many markets, only some of which are "official" and are whitelisted by VZW. If yours isn't eligible now, then don't hope that it will in the future, not on a $1K purchase. For all you know it may be a model for some other region. Regardless, if it's not working out of the box, then fix it now while your CC still allows you a dispute.

Second, if you have trouble identifying the actual seller now, think of when you have a problem with your phone and getting warranty service later. Heck, you may not have warranty now, if it's a gray market phone. That the vendor doesn't charge tax is an obvious indicator that he isn't an authorized merchant.

>The new iPhones have an eSIM. Some US carriers don't provision them yet.

You mean providers, ie MVNOs. All 4 US carriers support eSIM on iPhones.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast