Thread: Transfer to Unlocked Phone

Feedback Score

Transfer to Unlocked Phone

I bought an unlocked LG Stylo 4 over a month ago. I just SIM swapped from my TF Fiesta 2 (Verizon) and forgot to transfer service. I had an agent on line, but wanted to make sure I was doing it right before I proceeded. I do have a SIM from an old kit from 3 years ago and it is one of those TMFL, of which I do not care about. What exactly is the process? Can that SIM be used in a new phone even if it is TMFL, or should I just spend the buck and get a new kit?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris109 View Post
    I bought an unlocked LG Stylo 4 over a month ago. I do have a SIM from an old kit from 3 years ago and it is one of those TMFL, of which I do not care about. What exactly is the process? Can that SIM be used in a new phone even if it is TMFL, or should I just spend the buck and get a new kit?
    You can use the BYOP TF/Verizon SIM from the old kit. Whether or not it is TMFL doesn't matter. Since both your Fiesta 2 and Stylo 4 use TF/Verizon, you can do the transfer online, unless you want to use Chat to have some assurance of not getting your balances lost.
    1. Add the new BYOP SIM to your TF account.
    2. Bring up the entry for that SIM and select ACTIVATE. You probably will have to supply the IMEI of the Stylo 4.
    3. It'll ask if your want to "Keep Your Phone Number". Select "Yes", and select your current phone number of the Fiesta 2.
    4. I think it will show a confirmation screen of the phone number and balances to be transferred. Select Continue/Proceed.
    5. Since you're staying with the same carrier, the transfer should be instantaneous. Take out the SIM from the Fiesta 2, put in the BYOP SIM. Power up the Stylo 4. Test calls, texts, data, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    You can use the BYOP TF/Verizon SIM from the old kit. Whether or not it is TMFL doesn't matter. Since both your Fiesta 2 and Stylo 4 use TF/Verizon, you can do the transfer online, unless you want to use Chat to have some assurance of not getting your balances lost.
    1. Add the new BYOP SIM to your TF account.
    2. Bring up the entry for that SIM and select ACTIVATE. You probably will have to supply the IMEI of the Stylo 4.
    3. It'll ask if your want to "Keep Your Phone Number". Select "Yes", and select your current phone number of the Fiesta 2.
    4. I think it will show a confirmation screen of the phone number and balances to be transferred. Select Continue/Proceed.
    5. Since you're staying with the same carrier, the transfer should be instantaneous. Take out the SIM from the Fiesta 2, put in the BYOP SIM. Power up the Stylo 4. Test calls, texts, data, etc.
    Not allowing me to add the sim. This ended before it started. Gotta use chat.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Not allowing me to add the sim. This ended before it started.
    Did you log into your TF account and use the ADD DEVICE function? If yes, exactly what happened?

Feedback Score
    Did you log into your TF account and use the ADD DEVICE function? If yes, exactly what happened?
    It said the sim number was not on the account. Then today, I get:

---This device cannot be added to your account. Please make sure it is not associated with a different account.---

Tried a couple of times. I did use chat. She told me it was a GSM phone. Told her it was an unlocked all carrier phone. I also told her that I used my sim from my fiesta 2 to make sure that it used Verizon. She told me I wasn't allowed to do that. Yeah, whatever. It started to go back and forth about the type of phone it was. I just disconnected her. I'll give it a shot with someone else later.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    It said the sim number was not on the account. Then today, I get:

---This device cannot be added to your account. Please make sure it is not associated with a different account.---
    I'm not sure if that message was about the BYOP SIM that you were trying to use, or about the phone's IMEI. Where did you buy the unlocked Stylo 4? Is it a brand-new phone or used? If used, it's possible that its IMEI is not free-and-clear from the previous owner's account.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Not allowing me to add the sim. This ended before it started. Gotta use chat.
    Just now, I tried adding a BYOP TF/VZW SIM (from a kit that I bought in Aug 2016) to my TF online account. Got the message "There are no devices in our system with the information you provided. Please review the information and try again". I tried both the full 20 digits and the last 15 digits but got the same message. I thought maybe TF had nullified SIMs from old kits, so I tried a different way. I clicked on ACTIVATE, select BYOP, told it I already got a SIM and entered the same full SIM number. It seemed to accept it and asked for a phone's IMEI, since I don't have one available, I cancelled out.

I know for sure that in the past I was able to add a BYOP SIM to my online account before activating it at a later time.

Feedback Score
    Just now, I tried adding a BYOP TF/VZW SIM (from a kit that I bought in Aug 2016) to my TF online account. Got the message "There are no devices in our system with the information you provided. Please review the information and try again". I tried both the full 20 digits and the last 15 digits but got the same message. I thought maybe TF had nullified SIMs from old kits, so I tried a different way. I clicked on ACTIVATE, select BYOP, told it I already got a SIM and entered the same full SIM number. It seemed to accept it and asked for a phone's IMEI, since I don't have one available, I cancelled out.

I know for sure that in the past I was able to add a BYOP SIM to my online account before activating it at a later time.
    I just checked my account. The new phone's imei shows up as an inactive device, but not the sim # I gave to her yesterday.

Feedback Score
    I just checked my account. The new phone's imei shows up as an inactive device, but not the sim # I gave to her yesterday.
    It should now allow you to go through the regular activation process. The IMEI is already there, so it just needs the SIM number to lock them together. I have never heard of putting a TF/VZW BYOP SIM in an account without an IMEI.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I have never heard of putting a TF/VZW BYOP SIM in an account without an IMEI.
    I checked and the BYOP SIM that I added to my account before was a GSM SIM. I know that an IMEI is needed to ACTIVATE a BYOP TF/VZW SIM, but didn't know that an IMEI is needed even to ADD it to your account.

Feedback Score
    I checked and the BYOP SIM that I added to my account before was a GSM SIM. I know that an IMEI is needed to ACTIVATE a BYOP TF/VZW SIM, but didn't know that an IMEI is needed even to ADD it to your account.
    Yes, GSM SIMS are more stand alone. I have no experience with them except "what I read in the newspaper". AT&T is only fair coverage in my town, and T-Mo is poor. When I got my first TF smartphone it was not just the thrill of apps and things, but going onto Verizon which ended the annoying dropped calls.

Feedback Score
    All good. The TF site told me to put sim in new phone. Even though I knew it was not right, I put the original Fiesta 2 sim back in the new phone cause it did not say to use a BYOP sim. Didn't work. Used chat again, and the person told me that the BYOP sim was registered for the new phone already (this was from the day before when I gave up with chat cause the person was all over the ballpark with instructions.) Put the BYOP sim in the new phone, and all is well. A simple task turns into a long, drawn out, chore.

Feedback Score
    Put the BYOP sim in the new phone, and all is well. A simple task turns into a long, drawn out, chore.
    Mistake was getting the Fiesta 2 SIM involved at all, other than temporarily using it to try out the new phone. Then putting the SIM back in the Fiesta 2, and installing the BYOP SIM before activation.