Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Android voicemail apps on Prepaid

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    67
    Feedback Score
    0

    Android voicemail apps on Prepaid

    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I just got my first smart phone (Moto G6), and am uncertain about how the various voicemail apps work on a prepaid plan (Airvoice PAYG). The specific question is whether I will be charged for a phone call when the app fetches whatever information it gets on voicemails. On my old feature phone, I called the local AT&T voicemail retrieval number to listen to new voicemails, and that was a chargeable phone call. Will it be the same if I use a voicemail app?

    I have a related question resulting from the fact that I leave my phone Off most of the time. If I get a voicemail while the phone is off, I don't see any way to find what the calling number was. Since the phone was off, I don't have any missed call info. The number my default Phone app shows me for such voicemails is always the AT&T retrieval number. Is there any way to find the actual calling number?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,773
    Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you're using an app not built into the phone or installed by cell carrier, it sounds like it uses data to retrieve. Mobile data or wifi.

    Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    6,426
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you'r talking about Visual Voicemail (VVM), it does require a cellular data connection. If you have an unlocked non-carrier phone there will be no separate voicemail app, but is a feature of the dialer. VVM is provided by the carrier when you activate the account. Not sure if Airvoice provides VVM, so you might contact them. AT&T does not allow all of it's services with the MVNO providers.

    If you don't have VVM, the basic VM system can be used, which is a call charge. VVM downloads an audio file to the phone, so a small amount of data is charged.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    1,741
    Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gh424 View Post
    If I get a voicemail while the phone is off, I don't see any way to find what the calling number was.
    When you press the call button, you should see some icons that say Favorites, Recents, and Contacts. When you touch the Recents icon, you will see a list of calls made or received, most recent ones at the top. Touch that number (not the call button) and you will be able touch Call Details, to see the time and date of it.

    Although I have a Moto G7 Power on a different carrier, I think this is a basic Moto feature.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,443
    Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    When you press the call button, you should see some icons that say Favorites, Recents, and Contacts. When you touch the Recents icon, you will see a list of calls made or received, most recent ones at the top. Touch that number (not the call button) and you will be able touch Call Details, to see the time and date of it.

    Although I have a Moto G7 Power on a different carrier, I think this is a basic Moto feature.
    While your information is correct as far as it goes, the OP specifically mentioned calls/VMs that came in while their phone was powered off. Cell phones (even Motorolas!) can't capture that info when they are powered off not connected to the network.

    I don't have any experience with Airvoice's VVM service (if any), but the answer will lie with what Visual Voicemail service the OP uses. If Airvoice supports conditional call forwarding, the OP can use third-party VVM services like YouMail or Google Voice which can alert them of missed calls and voicemails (including the number that called) via email, phone notification, and/or text.



    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    67
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks very much for the replies. I bought the phone unlocked directly from Motorola, and just transferred my Airvoice account to it. So there never was an AT&T activation as such, and there's no VMM app on the phone. I'll have to confirm with AV, but I don't think they have any kind of VVM. In fact it looks like most MVNOs don't.

    There are third-part VVM apps in the Play Store, but I assume they would have to make the charged call to retrieve the voicemail.

    Information on the calling number does not make it to my phone if my phone was off when the VM was left. And I don't remember an option on the retrieving VM call to get the calling number (but will test that). Anyway, it appears I may be out of luck on this.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,443
    Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gh424 View Post
    Thanks very much for the replies. I bought the phone unlocked directly from Motorola, and just transferred my Airvoice account to it. So there never was an AT&T activation as such, and there's no VMM app on the phone. I'll have to confirm with AV, but I don't think they have any kind of VVM. In fact it looks like most MVNOs don't.

    There are third-part VVM apps in the Play Store, but I assume they would have to make the charged call to retrieve the voicemail.

    Information on the calling number does not make it to my phone if my phone was off when the VM was left. And I don't remember an option on the retrieving VM call to get the calling number (but will test that). Anyway, it appears I may be out of luck on this.
    Third-party VVM doesn't make a charged call to retrieve your voicemail. It doesn't use your carrier's (Airvoice) voicemail at all.

    Here's how it works. Most carriers support a service called "conditional call forwarding". This means calls are forwarded to another number only when no one answers the call. So, instead of the unanswered call going to Airvoice VM, it's instead forwarded to the VVM provider of your choice (e.g. YouMail, Google Voice, etc.) using a number they provide you with.

    They then notify you that you have voicemail (via a text, an email and/or a notification on an app you install- your choice) and you can then play it in the app (using WiFi or cellular data) or call in and listen the old fashioned way (using voice minutes) if you prefer.

    Depending on the service you use, they may also email or text you a transcription of the VVM so you can read it rather than listen. (Google Voice offers such transcriptions for free, YouMail charges a small monthly fee; this is why I switched from YouMail to Google a few years ago.)

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    67
    Feedback Score
    0
    I don't have call forwarding, conditional or otherwise. I get "Network or SIM card error." Reading up on this, it seems either Airvoice doesn't support call forwarding, or that's not a feature enabled for unlocked phones (as opposed to a phone bought from a carrier). I bought mine directly from Motorola. So I'm probably stuck with phone call retrieval.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    6,426
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gh424 View Post
    If I get a voicemail while the phone is off, I don't see any way to find what the calling number was. Since the phone was off, I don't have any missed call info. The number my default Phone app shows me for such voicemails is always the AT&T retrieval number. Is there any way to find the actual calling number?
    Once you turn the phone back on, a VM notification should be shown. My Moto phone does this for both Basic and Visual Voicemail. Mine is Verizon, and does not have a retrieval number like AT&T. Always shows the actual call number.

    Does yours show the call number if the phone was on when the voicemail was received?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    6,426
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gh424 View Post
    I don't have call forwarding, conditional or otherwise. I get "Network or SIM card error." Reading up on this, it seems either Airvoice doesn't support call forwarding, or that's not a feature enabled for unlocked phones (as opposed to a phone bought from a carrier). I bought mine directly from Motorola. So I'm probably stuck with phone call retrieval.
    It appears Airvoice does not have VVM, but the Basic VM should be sending notifications whenever the phone is connected to the network. The network will poll the phone whenever there is something to be downloaded. No call forwarding involved. This is not a phone issue.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,443
    Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gh424 View Post
    I don't have call forwarding, conditional or otherwise. I get "Network or SIM card error." Reading up on this, it seems either Airvoice doesn't support call forwarding, or that's not a feature enabled for unlocked phones (as opposed to a phone bought from a carrier). I bought mine directly from Motorola. So I'm probably stuck with phone call retrieval.
    From checking out old threads here on HoFo, it looks like Airvoice only allows conditional forwarding on monthly plans, not on PAYGo. That's the end of VVM for you, unfortunately.

    The phone itself shouldn't matter. Forwarding is a carrier feature, not a phone feature. Even if your phone lacks any forwarding menus, you can still use carrier star codes (e.g. *71, *72, etc.) to activate and deactivate forwarding (providing your carrier supports it, of course...)



    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Voicemail App on Verizon Phone on Tracfone BYOP
    By phone_bob in forum Tracfone/Net10
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-13-2015, 02:57 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-02-2015, 07:49 AM
  3. Is there any native visual voicemail app on platinumtel?
    By sadegs in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2013, 09:22 AM
  4. Virgin 3rd party apps on Prepaid Unlimited Browsing?
    By PhoenixStorm713 in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2011, 06:42 PM
  5. Visual Voicemail (Nuron) on prepaid?
    By tmodlou in forum T-Mobile prepaid
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 08:56 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks