Thread: Mint Mobile iPhone 7 plus wifi hotspot with Windows 7 computers not working

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Mint Mobile iPhone 7 plus wifi hotspot with Windows 7 computers not working

I ported from Sprint to Mint Mobile yesterday after ordering the promo for 3 months + 3 months free at 8GB/month for $60.

My iPhone 7 plus is the sim-free model with CDMA radio (not that it's necessary for Mint, but I've had this same phone on Sprint postpaid for the last two years) A1661 and it's unlocked.

Activating on Mint was easy, and all the typical extras are working - VoLTE, Wifi calling, and visual voicemail. The hotspot is not 100% yet.

The problem is using the hotspot over wifi with multiple Windows 7 computers - one laptop, one desktop. Connecting other Apple mobile devices (other iPhones and my mother's old iPad mini) to the wifi hotspot gets those devices full access to my phone's Mint LTE hotspot data.

However, the hotspot only works with the Windows computers when using a wired usb connection.

Due to the recent iOS 13 upgrade, I don't know if this has something to do with the new "Low data mode" or whatever it's called. It could also have something to do with not getting a proper IP assigned to the PC devices. Sometimes it registeres only an IPv4 address and sometimes it only registers an IPv6 address. The wireless adapter in my PC gives me a message that no internet connection is available.

I don't recall if I successfully used the wifi hotspot with the Windows PCs after the iOS 13 upgrade while the service was still on Sprint. This same iPhone 7 plus on iOS 12 with Sprint postpaid service had no issue using the wifi hotspot with the Windows PCs.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? I haven't tried connecting any non-Apple mobile device to the Mint iPhone 7 plus hotspot, so I have no idea if that will work or not.

Feedback Score
    does your PC successfully connect to your iphones internet connection ?? you might try Bluetooth connection and see if that helps. my windows 7 laptop sometimes has trouble connecting via phones WIFI hotspot but if use either USB or Bluetooth connection internet works just fine.

Feedback Score
    Run the ipconfig utility on the pc or any utility to see valid ipv4 address being assigned . It can be slow dhcp or no dhcp. If no layer 3 address via dhcp then cold boot everything and retry.
    If dhcp continues to fail it is possible but annoying to configure manual static ip address and subnet mask on both sides and retry. Remember to config back to automatic dhcp if you try the manual addressing and it too fails!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have one iPhone 6s remaining on Sprint and that one now has the problem as well. Both these phones' wifi hotspots worked perfectly on iOS 12 on Sprint. Now neither one is working on iOS 13. The fact that one of the phones was switched from Sprint service to Mint Mobile I'm guessing has nothing to do with the new problem.

Apple killed wifi on a Microsoft PC.

The wifi adapter in my laptop can't connect and flashes the message, "Unidentified network, No Internet access."

When I open the command prompt and type ipconfig when the wifi adapter is attempting to connect to either phone's wifi hotspot (as well as after it has given up and simply shows a black exclamation point inside a yellow circle), it simply returns, "Media disconnected."

I hate Tim Cook. This is not a Mint Mobile problem. It's an iOS 13 problem. I don't know enough about dhcp to diagnose it any further.

My laptop is older and can't connect to the internet via bluetooth. I can try it on my desktop PC later at home. That one definitely has the bluetooth capability.

For now, I'll just have to keep using it tethered to USB with a standard iPhone lightning cable.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I searched on duckduckgo for "ios 13 hotspot not working" and there's a ton of stuff about it.

This discussion seemed to be the most relevant:
    https://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...os-13-iphone-x

After upgrade to IOS 13 from 12.4, I noticed that personal hotspot isn't working anymore over WiFi (via USB is ok).

Tested on two computers with Win7 The PC can connect to WiFi, but no valid IP (IPv4) is assigned and no connection is working to internet.

EDIT
    Seems that IOS 13.1.2 Personal Hotspot's DHCP is not working, at least on Win7. What I did is I assigned client IP manually (my PC)

IP Address: 172.20.10.11
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
    Router: 172.20.10.1
    DNS: 172.20.10.1

Now is working....

I wonder why I paid > 1000 eur for it including Watch and still have trivial bugs introduced with new updates.

They didn't make regression tests? Totally disappointed!
    I've never assigned an IP address manually, but I know enough to understand that the problem described by this other user is the same problem I'm experiencing.