Thread: What ever happened to ExpoMobile?

Feedback Score

What ever happened to ExpoMobile?

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    expomobile.com has quite good niche paygo plans that fit specific usage patterns
    I can attest to this fact, or at least I could 2-3 years ago when Boz posted this quote. Back then I went so far as to check every one of our phones and note whether or not each one was ExpoMobile-compatible, so clearly I was thinking about using ExpoMobile with one or several of those phones.

But now when I go to the ExpoMobile website it looks completely different, the cheapest plan price is $35 per month, and there seems to be no mention of paygo anywhere that I can find. So ...

What's up with them? Do they still have good paygo plans for folks who fall into certain niches? Or have they gotten rid of paygo altogether ... or replaced their old paygo plans with substantially less desirable new paygo plans?

I'm just wondering if there is any reason to consider them any more? If not, I will eliminate all my notes about them, and move on ...

Feedback Score
    From the live chat on the Expomobile site:

Makayla 13:28
    Hello. How may I help you?

Bubba 13:29
    Hi, I'm wondering where your PAYGO plans are? You used to have them before the web site change. Is PAYGO still available?

Makayla 13:29
    Selectel does not offer PayGo plans we only have prepaid plans.

Bubba 13:30
    OK I'm on the Expomobile page, which is where this chat should be about? Is Expomobile now owned by Selectel?

Makayla 13:31
    Are you expo Verizon customer or Expo Sprint customer

Bubba 13:31
    I was hoping to get a Verizon PAYGO plan, which was offered by Expomobile some months before.

Makayla 13:33
    Okay they no longer offer those plans online. They have a new customer service that only offers expo plans over the phone. The customer service number is 877-218-5744

Bubba 13:33
    Thanks for the number, so can you tell me if this page I'm on is Selectel's and not Expomobile?

Makayla 13:34
    The chat page you are on right now is Selectel Wireless. We do assist Expo Verizon customers.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by owkaye View Post
    I can attest to this fact, or at least I could 2-3 years ago when Boz posted this quote. Back then I went so far as to check every one of our phones and note whether or not each one was ExpoMobile-compatible, so clearly I was thinking about using ExpoMobile with one or several of those phones.

But now when I go to the ExpoMobile website it looks completely different, the cheapest plan price is $35 per month, and there seems to be no mention of paygo anywhere that I can find. So ...

What's up with them? Do they still have good paygo plans for folks who fall into certain niches? Or have they gotten rid of paygo altogether ... or replaced their old paygo plans with substantially less desirable new paygo plans?

I'm just wondering if there is any reason to consider them any more? If not, I will eliminate all my notes about them, and move on ...
    I tried chatting with Expo using the chat box on https://expomobile.com/join/ but didn't get much information. Hereś the chat transcript:

Welcome to LiveChat
    Chat with Paul
    Paul
    Support Agent

Paul 13:01
    Dennis 13:02
    Which network does Expo use Sprint or Verizon?

Paul 13:04
    Hello, there EXPO that use Verizon Network and Also EXPO with SPRINT
    we handle EXPO Verizon
    Dennis 13:07
    Thanks, are the three plans on the website the only ones? I thought Expo had a PayGo plan and some cheaper monthly plans priced between $10 and $30.

Paul 13:08
    Expo we have the $10 for 90days and $30 for 120days and $55 for 180 days and $100 for 100 days

Dennis 13:08
    How much for a SIM including shipping?
    Paul 13:09
    Sim cost $14.99 and $2 for a shipping
    can I have your IMEI

Dennis 13:10
    NNNNNNNNNNNN How much per minute, text and MB on the $10PayGo plan?
    Paul 13:12
    NNNNNNNNNNNN it shows it is not certified to work on our service

Dennis 13:14
    It's a Sprint Motorola E2 that's inactive but was previously used on Sprint Ting,. Tello says its OK for reactivation, why not Expo?
    Paul 13:14
    we only support EXPO verizon
    We are with Selectel Wireless, some of expo customer are on our platform.

Dennis 13:15
    Whatś the website for Expo Sprint?
    Paul 13:15
    I do not have that information

Dennis 13:17
    Is there a phone number for Expo Sprint?
    Paul 13:17
    I apologize, we do not have that information we assist customer with EXPO customer that on our platform .

Dennis 13:18
    So you work for Expo but you don't have any information about half their products?
    Paul 13:18
    I do not have any information with the sprint EXPO, we only assist customer with EXPO those who are on our platform. I work with Selectel Wireless not EXPO.

Dennis 13:19
    Does Selectel own Expo?
    Paul 13:20
    Some of EXPO customer are on our platform they have EXPO VERIZON but on our platform, for EXPO SPRINT I do not any information with there website and customer service line.

Dennis 13:20
    OK, thanks
    Paul 13:20
    You're Very Welcome!
    Is there anything else I can help you with?

Dennis 13:20
    no thanks
    Paul 13:21
    Have a great day!
    Thank you for choosing Selectel Wireless! We appreciate your business!
    Paul has closed the chat.

So, it looks like there is an unadvertised PayGo plan on Expo Verizon. No idea what's up with Expo Sprint .
    Compare prepaid plans from all operators at PrepaidCompare.net.

Device(s)
    Motorola G4 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Expo is handled by Selectel Wireless now or at least customer support is. This happened back in December of 2018. You can call Selectel Wireless on the phone and talk to them about Expo. Expo may just survive as a brand name now.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for helping me to understand what has happened to Expo Mobile! After seeing those two chat transcripts I thought I would try a chat of my own -- to see if I could clarify some of the current details:

Sat 10/05/19:

Makayla 05:20:21 pm

owkaye 05:22:58 pm
    Hello, I am interested in Expo Mobile's Verizon Paygo plans but I cannot find them on the website any more. Can you tell me about them?

Makayla 05:25:06 pm
    Yes Expo Mobile offers paygo plans that come with a set dollar balance. For every minute used it will use $0.02 of the balance. For every text used it will use $0.02 of the balance. And for every MB used it will use $0.05 of the balance. We can activate most 4G Verizon CDMA and HD compatible devices as long as it's not a prepaid device or a blackberry.

owkaye 05:28:23 pm
    Thank you. I have several older Verizon phones but I'm not sure if they are 4G or HD. Do you have an IMEI checker or something similar that I can use to see which of my phones might be compatible?

Makayla 05:28:47 pm
    Yes we are able to check Imei's to make sure they are certified to work with Selectel

owkaye 05:30:38 pm
    Okay thank you. What is my next step? Shall I collect my IMEI numbers and chat with you again so you can check them for me? Oh, and what is the initial amount I must deposit to my account? And are there any other fees or charges?

Makayla 05:31:53 pm
    Yes you can collect the imeis and reach out to have them checked. The amount would be the cost of plan you choose and the cost of a sim card which is priced $14.99

owkaye 05:33:27 pm
    Where can I find online info about the different plans? Or can you tell me their prices and other details now?

Makayla 05:36:13 pm
    A list of the plans are the $10-90 day plan which allows a $10 balance that expires after 90 days. $100-365 plan comes with a $100 balance that expires after 365 days. $30-120 plan comes with $30 balance that expires after 120 days. There is also a $30 unlimited plan the unlimited cap allows 5000 minutes, 5000 text and 300mb of data.

owkaye 05:37:55 pm
    So I guess the $30 unlimited plan expires after only 30 days, is this correct?

Makayla 05:38:05 pm
    Oh yes im sorry that is correct

owkaye 05:39:12 pm
    Great, thanks for all your help! I will save this info on my computer so I can refer to it again after I collect my IMEI numbers. Have a great day!

Makayla 05:39:30 pm
    You're Very Welcome!
    Thank you for choosing Selectel Wireless! We appreciate your business!
    So it seems the lowest cost to get started is $24.99 which includes the SIM and the 90-day plan. This gives you either 500 minutes or 500 texts or 200 MB of data, or any combination of these three ... but the plan expires in 90 days which means the average monthly cost the first month is $8.33. Then if you renew it, the monthly price drops to $3.33.

For some reason I had it in my mind that the Expo Mobile paygo plan was a better deal than this. Or maybe I thought it was better because several years ago (before we got new phones) we were using Verizon phones and perhaps the Expo Mobile paygo plans were pretty good when compared with other Verizon MVNO prices. Either way, this paygo plan does not sound that great to me any more ... but at least they still have it, although apparently only for 4G and HD phones.

Feedback Score
    >Either way, this paygo plan does not sound that great to me any more

Maybe you know of another VZW PAYGO plan with a 2c/min rate and a $3.33 monthly minimum? I don't know of any.

Tello has 1c/min for Sprint (which isn't VZW). But the minimum spend has risen to $6.67/mo.

BTW your math is a bit off. Including the $2 SIM ship, buy-in is $17. Calculating it for 360 days: ($40 + $17) = $57 total cost, or $4.75/mo (30 days). Dividing that by the number of minutes: $57 / (500 mins * 4) = 2.85c/min, which is still well below any other PAYGO rate around.

That said, apparently Expo has sold the business to Selectel, and the PAYGO plans are no longer advertised which means they can disappear at any time. There is a risk associated with the plans' uncertain future. It is not for the risk-averse.

>although apparently only for 4G and HD phones.

I don't think there's a VZW plan for 3G phones anymore. Even if there were, it's less hassle to replace your phone before buying a plan than when the plan is active. There's no upside to clinging to your old 3G phones. 4G phones won't get any cheaper next year, and you'll have a year of subpar (3G) service to look forward to.

Feedback Score
    Apparently Expo has sold the business to Selectel
    This seems to be the case, although I'm surprised that this news never reached HowardForums in a more direct manner.

And here's the latest bad news (for me anyways):

NONE of our 7 old Verizon-network phones passed the IMEI / MEID checks on the Selectel website ... yet every one of these phones passed the same Expo Mobile checks previously (but that was about two years ago). So it seems you're correct when you say there are no Verizon plans available for old 3G phones any more -- not on Expo Mobile or Selectel anyways.

Bottom line: Expo Mobile and Selectel are both "dead to me" now.

Thanks to everyone for helping me to understand what has happened since the last time I considered Expo Mobile as a potential service provider!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by owkaye View Post
    This seems to be the case, although I'm surprised that this news never reached HowardForums in a more direct manner.

And here's the latest bad news (for me anyways):

NONE of our 7 old Verizon-network phones passed the IMEI / MEID checks on the Selectel website ... yet every one of these phones passed the same Expo Mobile checks previously (but that was about two years ago). So it seems you're correct when you say there are no Verizon plans available for old 3G phones any more -- not on Expo Mobile or Selectel anyways.

Bottom line: Expo Mobile and Selectel are both "dead to me" now.

Thanks to everyone for helping me to understand what has happened since the last time I considered Expo Mobile as a potential service provider!

you're going to have to get new phones in about a year. verizon is mothballing 3g. i'm not sure if you'll find many MVNOs that will activate 3g only devices these days