Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why can't I port an ATT number to Verizon?

Feedback Score

Why can't I port an ATT number to Verizon?

Recently I tried to move my phone number from Tracfone (running on the ATT network) over to VZW only to be told that it's technically impossible for them to port this number to the VZW network. I find this strange because literally every other major wireless network is willing to port the number for me. (Sprint, Tmobile, ATT)

To compound to this, my old landline phone number that is decades old can be moved to any of the networks. My question is: what is special about the numbers being assigned by Tracfone on the ATT network that prevents them from being ported over to VZW and is there any way I can get a number that can be ported and used on any of the 4 major USA wireless networks?

Thank you for your consideration, I really don't want to keep having to change phone numbers every time I switch carriers.

Feedback Score
    What phone model ? Verizon will only accept certain phones. Nothing to do with the phone number. And of course having a Vzw sim.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekay666 View Post
    Recently I tried to move my phone number from Tracfone (running on the ATT network) over to VZW only to be told that it's technically impossible for them to port this number to the VZW network. I find this strange because literally every other major wireless network is willing to port the number for me. (Sprint, Tmobile, ATT)

To compound to this, my old landline phone number that is decades old can be moved to any of the networks. My question is: what is special about the numbers being assigned by Tracfone on the ATT network that prevents them from being ported over to VZW and is there any way I can get a number that can be ported and used on any of the 4 major USA wireless networks?

Thank you for your consideration, I really don't want to keep having to change phone numbers every time I switch carriers.
    I am guessing they do not have a presence in the rate center where your number is located or tracfone is refusing to release the phone number. I would call the Verizon Wireless porting department to get an actual explanation on why they can not port your phone number. Their phone number is 1-888-844-7095

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    To expand on that, if you have number 123-456-7890 and VZW doesn't do business in area covered by 123-456-xxxx then the number can't be ported.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Droid Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    To expand on that, if you have number 123-456-7890 and VZW doesn't do business in area covered by 123-456-xxxx then the number can't be ported.

[/URL]
    Expanding even more, that is why is called "Local Number Portability". It means that every phone number (landline or cellular) has a geographic location associated with it, based on the area code and next three digits of the number, and you can switch (port) only between providers that service that location. For cell phones, that means that a provider must provide service in the geographic location associated with the number, even though you and the phone are elsewhere, and may never go near that location. It is a technical limitation that has to do with how calls are routed in the North American Number Plan.

Feedback Score
    As mentioned, what's the phone model? That could also be the key. Branded, unlocked, and with the new VoLTE requirement all factor in.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    For cell phones, that means that a provider must provide service in the geographic location associated with the number, even though you and the phone are elsewhere, and may never go near that location.
    Partially a legal limitation too. When the FCC was planning out the cellular stuff back in the 1980s, they were concerned about the scenario where a) a local cell co builds out good coverage b) a national carrier either by build out or merger and acquisition gets to maybe 30-50% nationwide coverage (by population probably?), arranges favorable roaming arrangements with local carriers (at this point fine by them since it lowers their roaming cost when their customers travel) c) then the national carrier decides to sell service nationwide at lower rates (including where they have no service) d) buying up local carriers at cutrate prices as they lose their customers (and don't make it up on roaming due to the favorable roaming rate.)

Thus the restrictions on only selling service where they have service.

I think it worked. Verizon Wireless and AT&T Wireless (and Sprint and T-Mo to a lesser extent) have bought many local cell cos over the years, but also paid quite a bit for them.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon postpaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekay666 View Post

It sounds as if the central issue here is the number itself and not the technology of your phone. Have you checked on Verizon's site for checking number porting eligibility? (It sounds like you have, I'm just confirming.) If that page indicates that your number is not portable to Verizon, you won't be able to keep your TracFone number directly with a new Verizon line.

Although it's likely the less desirable approach, have you considered getting a new number from Verizon, porting your TracFone number to Google Voice, and then setting the Google Voice account to ring your new Verizon number? That way, anyone calling either number would still reach you.

For what it's worth, if you want to read a little more about number porting 'incompatibility' check out the post on this thread. Ironically, the thread was started by a person who want to take their number from Verizon Wireless to Google Voice without success, but the response in the "recommended answer" may very well tell you more than you wanted to know about your situation. Good luck!

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Does Verizon offer service (e.g. have a store) in the area where the phone is based? It sounds like it may be an area covered by a roaming/LTEiRA partner, where Verizon does not offer native service. One possible work-around would be to port the number to Google Voice and forward the Google line to your newly established Verizon number.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    You know the funny thing? When I left Sprint and moved to Verizon prepaid - they wouldn't port my number from Sprint to their service. And Sprint is a CDMA carrier like this. Verizon has been doing this for years and getting away with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jameny5 View Post
    You know the funny thing? When I left Sprint and moved to Verizon prepaid - they wouldn't port my number from Sprint to their service. And Sprint is a CDMA carrier like this. Verizon has been doing this for years and getting away with it.
    Conspiracy theory much? there is no incentive for Verizon to not port your number

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    It means probably it's an area with sprint coverage but no verizon. Can't be too many areas like that given sprint's coverage but there are a few areas vzw roams on sprint so they do exist.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    There is Verizon coverage in my area. Lot's of coverage in the Hudson Valley. I thought that I stated clearly like other non Verizon customers that they couldn't port their number to Verizon. Did I miss something?

Feedback Score
    There is Verizon coverage in my area. Lot's of coverage in the Hudson Valley. I thought that I stated clearly like other non Verizon customers that they couldn't port their number to Verizon. Did I miss something?
    Yep, it's a conspiracy. Verizon doesn't want your business so they intentionally don't accept your port. They got away with it again, not taking someone's money when they could have.

You know, people are just trying to help. You never said where you were or if Verizon had native coverage there. Lighten up.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that the porting rules are set and enforced by the FCC. If you doubt what the carrier is telling you, contact them directly.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast