Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why can't I port an ATT number to Verizon?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon AT&T Dual SIM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    It means probably it's an area with sprint coverage but no verizon. Can't be too many areas like that given sprint's coverage but there are a few areas vzw roams on sprint so they do exist.
    Was more common before the Alltel buyout. There were certainly places where VZW didn't have cellular or PCS spectrum and roamed on Sprint.

They got a lot of native cellular coverage when they bought Alltel and of course a nationwide LTE block after the 700mhz auction.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Oopsz View Post
    Was more common before the Alltel buyout. There were certainly places where VZW didn't have cellular or PCS spectrum and roamed on Sprint.

They got a lot of native cellular coverage when they bought Alltel and of course a nationwide LTE block after the 700mhz auction.
    That doesn't mean 100% coverage. We can only speculate. I did offer the suggestion to reach out to the FCC for help. Speculation won't help the OP in this case.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Carrier(s)
    Verizon postpaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jameny5 View Post
    There is Verizon coverage in my area. Lot's of coverage in the Hudson Valley. I thought that I stated clearly like other non Verizon customers that they couldn't port their number to Verizon. Did I miss something?
    The issue with porting isn't cellular coverage, it's number coverage. Verizon Wireless (or one of its subsidiaries) needs to have a physical point of presence in the same rate center as the number you want to port in. So, for example, you can almost certainly open a new line with Verizon that has a Glens Falls number, and your mobile phone may even have service throughout all of North Creek. But you cannot open a new line with Verizon that has a North Creek number (or port in a North Creek number), because Verizon Wireless (apparently) does not operate a local telephone switch in the North Creek NY rate center. If you have a phone number in a very rural area, it's less likely that a company other than the incumbent phone company will set up a point of presence, as the cost of doing so will outweigh their estimated return on investment.

That said, if your home number can be ported to AT&T Wireless, AT&T has clearly reached a different conclusion on that ROI...

Note: I do not know anything about your location, other than the general region ("Hudson Valley" as disclosed in your post) and the fact that Verizon won't port in your number (I used a random North Creek number in their porting eligibility tool).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2