Thread: AT&T vs. Verizon, version eleventy-billion...

Device(s)
    Cingular/AT&T 8525
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, formerly Cingular
    Feedback Score

AT&T vs. Verizon, version eleventy-billion...

So, it's the age-old question: att or verizon?? I'm on AT&T now, and supremely frustrated with them. Alleged unlimited everything, but coverage has been hugely problematic, and they throttle data past 24gig; and being a truck driver, I MUST have reliable data, as I rely on it for Google Maps, and MUST have reliable GPS as well.

Once upon a time (2016),it was quite good; today, not so much.

So the question is: is Verizon any better, or am I just screwed. I HAVE to have nationwide service, with as few holes as possible, both data and voice. And I need that network to be as absolutely reliable as possible.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Probably VZW will give you better service.

But just as much based locations traveled & your specific phone model reception/available bands.

So there's no easy answer.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    As a truck driver, your practical choices are AT&T and Verizon. If one isn't working for you, your only choice is to try the other. If it doesn't work either, you need to change what you're doing. For instance, Google maps can be preloaded to reduce data consumption.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Google maps can be preloaded to reduce data consumption.
    Google Maps offline is handy, but not suited for nationwide. I would go with something like HERE or CoPilot for that. None of them give as good a POI detail as online, and no traffic.

Not unusual for frequent travelers to have both a Verizon and AT&T phone.

Device(s)
    Cingular/AT&T 8525
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, formerly Cingular
    Feedback Score
    As a truck driver, your practical choices are AT&T and Verizon. If one isn't working for you, your only choice is to try the other. If it doesn't work either, you need to change what you're doing. For instance, Google maps can be preloaded to reduce data consumption.
    Yah, I often download the maps for my trip before rolling, to be sure I've got them in case of a coverage hole.

Device(s)
    Cingular/AT&T 8525
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, formerly Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Google Maps offline is handy, but not suited for nationwide. I would go with something like HERE or CoPilot for that. None of them give as good a POI detail as online, and no traffic.

Not unusual for frequent travelers to have both a Verizon and AT&T phone.
    My truck has CoPilot nav built-in, and it's crap. I use TruckerPath for POI info, and it also plots truck-specific routings, which I use to verify/tweak the Google Maps routing, because Maps does a better job with in-route display and turn directions. TruckerPath will often not give you the turn warning until it's almost too late.

Is Straight Talk on Verizon or AT&T?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
    My truck has CoPilot nav built-in, and it's crap. I use TruckerPath for POI info, and it also plots truck-specific routings, which I use to verify/tweak the Google Maps routing, because Maps does a better job with in-route display and turn directions. TruckerPath will often not give you the turn warning until it's almost too late.
    This is a bit OT but I'm curious if there are special trucker versions of GPS that can avoid stuff like low overpasses, high rail crossings and sharp turns? Where I live, a trucker has to go miles out of his way to find a rail crossing that isn't like going over a dike. Drivers who are not familiar with this get stuck on the tracks all the time.

Device(s)
    Cingular/AT&T 8525
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, formerly Cingular
    Feedback Score
    This is a bit OT but I'm curious if there are special trucker versions of GPS that can avoid stuff like low overpasses, high rail crossings and sharp turns? Where I live, a trucker has to go miles out of his way to find a rail crossing that isn't like going over a dike. Drivers who are not familiar with this get stuck on the tracks all the time.
    TruckerPath app does just that, as well as CoPilot and a couple other apps that some find usable, but I do not. TP does a nice job of showing you EVERYTHING trucking-related (truck stops, rest areas, weigh stations, truck washes, repair places, low clearances, etc) you wish to see within a 100 mile radius of whatever area you pick. Easy to navigate, and gives you solid truck-specific routing, and can port out the destination info to Google Maps, which can be tweaked using waypoint stops along the route to run you along a specific route, and not the shortest or quickest.