Thread: Freedompop hotspot SIM in a phone?

Feedback Score

Freedompop hotspot SIM in a phone?

Last year I bought a ZTE hotspot from Freedompop for $5 as an add-on purchase when I bought a ZTE Prestige 2 phone. I have not used or activated the hotspot yet.

Lately I've been wondering if I could use the hotspot's Sprint-branded SIM card in my phone -- to give me more data, minutes and/or texts when the FP SIM card in my phone runs out.

Does anyone here have any experience doing this? Is there a difference between Freedompop SIM cards installed in hotspots and Freedompop SIM cards installed in phones?

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Probably not as the Sprint sim is usually bound to the cdma device.

A GSM sim you can easily move to any unlocked gsm device.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Also, FreedomPop no longer provides Sprint service.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    In the Sprint and Verizon world there was no SIM used with CDMA, they only use SIM cards for LTE. Only Tmobile and At&t used SIM cards for 3G networks (GSM).

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    FreedomPop no longer provides Sprint service.
    GlowHF, are you suggesting that I cannot activate my hotspot at FreedomPop even if I want to? Maybe this is true ... but if so I would certainly expect Red Pocket to activate it since they activated the ZTE Prestige 2 phone I purchased along with the hotspot.

I guess I was too curious about this issue so I clicked the "Activate" link/tab while I was logged into my Red Pocket / FreedomPop account.* The link took me to https://www.redpocket.com/activatefp. The form on this page asks for an ICCID so I entered my hotspot SIM card ICCID. This caused a new MEID field to open in the form, so I entered the hotspot device MEID and submitted the form ...

The next page confirmed that both values were valid, then it said "CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE A PLAN" so I clicked. The next page displayed three plans starting with a $3.00/mo 200/500/200 plan -- which looks virtually identical to the FP-to-RP conversion plan I'm using on my ZTE Prestige 2 phone.

Naturally a hotspot cannot use any talk minutes or texts, but at least this seems to confirm that Red Pocket will activate the hotspot I bought from Freedompop. Too bad I do not need a hotspot!

* The reason I refer to it as my "Red Pocket / FreedomPop account" is because the URL is redpocket.com and the title is "Red Pocket Mobile" but the top of the page displays the FreedomPop logo and a navigation bar in the FreedomPop trademark blue color. Apparently this is a way to identify Red Pocket customers who have activated FreedomPop SIM cards or devices.

Feedback Score
    In the Sprint and Verizon world there was no SIM used with CDMA, they only use SIM cards for LTE.
    Hello veriztd,

Yes I understand this. Unfortunately the cellular world failed to coin a new term for cards that activate LTE when they came out with plug-in cards for CDMA devices. I think it might have been clearer if they had adopted this nomenclature (or something similar) to distinguish between different types of plug-in cards:

SIM = Subscriber Identity Module
    LEM = LTE Extension Module

Feedback Score
    I've been wondering if I could use the hotspot's Sprint-branded SIM card in my phone?

Probably not as the Sprint sim is usually bound to the cdma device.
    Hi ShredFred,

When is a Sprint SIM bound to the device?

Is this done at the time of activation?
    Or earlier, when the SIM and device are still at the supplier?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by owkaye View Post
    Hi ShredFred,

Is this done at the time of activation?
    Or earlier, when the SIM and device are still at the supplier?
    I think at activation. You could probably move the service to another device but I think Sprint "sim" cards are somewhat device specific. They don't have the near universal swappability of gsm

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by owkaye View Post
    GlowHF, are you suggesting that I cannot activate my hotspot at FreedomPop even if I want to? Maybe this is true ... but if so I would certainly expect Red Pocket to activate it since they activated the ZTE Prestige 2 phone I purchased along with the hotspot.

I guess I was too curious about this issue so I clicked the "Activate" link/tab while I was logged into my Red Pocket / FreedomPop account.* The link took me to https://www.redpocket.com/activatefp. The form on this page asks for an ICCID so I entered my hotspot SIM card ICCID. This caused a new MEID field to open in the form, so I entered the hotspot device MEID and submitted the form ...

The next page confirmed that both values were valid, then it said "CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE A PLAN" so I clicked. The next page displayed three plans starting with a $3.00/mo 200/500/200 plan -- which looks virtually identical to the FP-to-RP conversion plan I'm using on my ZTE Prestige 2 phone.

Naturally a hotspot cannot use any talk minutes or texts, but at least this seems to confirm that Red Pocket will activate the hotspot I bought from Freedompop. Too bad I do not need a hotspot!

* The reason I refer to it as my "Red Pocket / FreedomPop account" is because the URL is redpocket.com and the title is "Red Pocket Mobile" but the top of the page displays the FreedomPop logo and a navigation bar in the FreedomPop trademark blue color. Apparently this is a way to identify Red Pocket customers who have activated FreedomPop SIM cards or devices.
    Yes, that makes sense that you'd be offered the Red Pocket migration plan.

Feedback Score
    I think at activation. You could probably move the service to another device but I think Sprint "sim" cards are somewhat device specific. They don't have the near universal swappability of gsm
    I wish I had another Sprint phone around here that would accept a sim card so I could test it via the Red Pocket activation form. I actually tried entering my hotspot ICCID and the MEID of my ZTE phone (the one on the FP-RP conversion plan) but when I submitted the form I received an error that said something like "Sorry we cannot activate this device because it is currently in use." No surprise there.

By the way, there are no devices available for sale on the Freedompop website any more. Every link to a device-for-sale page (Apple, iPhones, Samsung, Galaxy Phones, Tablets, Hotspots, Accessories) takes me to the "SORRY" page. It seems the only products FP is still selling via their website are their SIM cards, which are much cheaper at Target, BestBuy, amazon.com, etc.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I tried to move my Sprint Freedompop service from an LG G2 to a Motorola G4. No luck and not really worth the effort to pursue it.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    I tried to move my Sprint Freedompop service from an LG G2 to a Motorola G4. No luck and not really worth the effort to pursue it.

SIM swapping on Sprint and Sprint MVNOs is a pain. Not only do you have to contact the carrier to link the SIM to the new device but you also need the right SIM. Sprint as a dozen or so SIM part numbers and each one only works in a few devices.

The LG G2 uses Sprint part number SIMGLW206R. The Moto G4 can use either SIMGLW446C or SIMOLW506C.
    Compare prepaid plans from all operators at PrepaidCompare.net.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    SIM swapping on Sprint and Sprint MVNOs is a pain. Not only do you have to contact the carrier to link the SIM to the new device but you also need the right SIM. Sprint as a dozen or so SIM part numbers and each one only works in a few devices.

The LG G2 uses Sprint part number SIMGLW206R. The Moto G4 can use either SIMGLW446C or SIMOLW506C.
    "Sprint and Sprint MVNOs are a pain" There, I fixed it, lol. Sprint's phone policies are baffling.