Thread: LG 237C Tracfone SIM?

Feedback Score

LG 237C Tracfone SIM?

My parents TracFone died and were told to buy a new one and move the SIM over. I can't find the SIM and was wondering if this was a CDMA one and that it might not have one? Thanks for any help.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprtfan View Post
    I can't find the SIM and was wondering if this was a CDMA one and that it might not have one?
    The model number ends with a "C", indicating that it's a CDMA phone (not "L" for LTE). As such, it has no SIM card. Once you've got a replacement phone for your parents, a TF rep can transfer phone number, units, days from the 237C to the new phone. If your parents prefer a flip phone instead of a smartphone, there's the Alcatel MyFlip. Although it's not a smartphone, it uses the 3-bucket (talk, text, data) system and the "smartphone" time cards.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprtfan View Post
    My parents TracFone died.
    Is the LG 237C a double (DMFL) or triple (TMFL) minutes phone? Only a few of the later old style basic phones were TMFL. If TMFL, that feature may get applied to a new style phone and you can use the basic airtime cards. Otherwise you have to use the smartphone airtime cards.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    TMFL is not a big deal anymore when you can get a 1200/1200/3000 + 365 days smartphone only airtime card for $49.99 from the Tracfone e-Bay store and apply it directly. If interested, ask how to get it.

Also, Verizon is moving on from CDMA voice to VoLTE, and very soon you will not be allowed to activate a non VoLTE model.
    If you are unfamiliar with this then run your phone ideas by us here first before accidentally buying a soon to be obsolete model.
    Now maybe the time to consider moving them to a smartphone. How do they react to learning new but better technology?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    TMFL is not a big deal anymore when you can get a 1200/1200/3000 + 365 days smartphone only airtime card for $49.99 from the Tracfone e-Bay store and apply it directly..
    Lots of users cling to TMFL from what you see in the forums. The present Tracfone airtime system is complicated to someone used to just buying basic cards periodically. Smartphone cards are no more complicated, and would be a much better value than DMFL.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Is the LG 237C a double (DMFL) or triple (TMFL) minutes phone?
    I don't think any TF-branded flip-phones have TMFL. My wife preferred flip-phones and I searched high and low for a TF-branded one with TMFL but none existed. I had to use a GoPhone Z222 as BYOP to get TMFL.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I don't think any TF-branded flip-phones have TMFL.
    The Moto W376G and some W370 flips were TMFL. The others were bar phones as I remember. Not sure if any "C" phones were TMFL except the LG 305C. I just thought to ask the OP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    The model number ends with a "C", indicating that it's a CDMA phone (not "L" for LTE). As such, it has no SIM card. Once you've got a replacement phone for your parents, a TF rep can transfer phone number, units, days from the 237C to the new phone. If your parents prefer a flip phone instead of a smartphone, there's the Alcatel MyFlip. Although it's not a smartphone, it uses the 3-bucket (talk, text, data) system and the "smartphone" time cards.
    Thanks for the help. We decided that it might be that the battery no longer works. I can get it to function as long as it is plugged into a charger. I was able to order a new battery for $6 and will give it a try.

Thanks to everyone else as well. If we need to get a new phone I'll come back and make sure we get one that is not CDMA since it may not work for long.